OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have iodine and witch hazel on hand?

Ok cant get iodine in chemist like I thought but bought some witch hazel.
Nearly back home but lights go out on tank shortly and would like to dip this torch before lights out if I could so less disturbance as possible to tank .
I didnt see witch hazel in video you shared above.
What kind dosage am I doing and how to do it please ?
And thanks for help again ^_^

Attachments

• 20211109_192041.jpg
    20211109_192041.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 29

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok cant get iodine in chemist like I thought but bought some witch hazel.
Nearly back home but lights go out on tank shortly and would like to dip this torch before lights out if I could so less disturbance as possible to tank .
I didnt see witch hazel in video you shared above.
What kind dosage am I doing and how to do it please ?
And thanks for help again ^_^
4 ounces display water, 1 ounce witch hazel. 15 minures.
rinse coral in tank water. if you already used your coral dip, skip that until tomorrow.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 ounces display water, 1 ounce witch hazel. 15 minures.
rinse coral in tank water. if you already used your coral dip, skip that until tomorrow.
Not used coral dip today as only just got back home.
You think best using my coral dip tonight or use this witch hazel ?

I will try convert how much 4 ounces actually is as we use ml and litres here not ounces .
This bottle witch hazel I bought only small bottle of 200 ml so now doubting if even got enough but won't know till go online and convert how much 4 ounces actually is.

But I'm actually thinking has this torch coral got brown jelly diesese or start of it at least and if it has would it be best to just throw I in the bin so less chance bjd spreading to my other corals as read once it's in tank then its in tank .
And also thinking if it isn't bjd or start of it,if corals get stressed or damaged in transport then this bjd is a secondary thing that happens so even if it hasn't got bjd,it could start to get it tonight or tommorrow so very confused what to do for the best pfffft as would like to save this coral but if a coral especially lps coral can get damaged in any way ( even by say a hermit or fish picking at it) then gets bjd then would be best to try save this torch as can happen anytime .

I know for future of buying any corals from lfs I will take my own plastic cups and elastic bands and tie frag plug to cup and make sure the coral can't touch/rub anything etc as either......
lfs guy picked it up and squeezed flesh to hard..
Rubbing on bag during drive home and flesh started to peel.
I squeezed flesh as dipping/ putting in tank.
Something nipped at it within first 30 minutes in tank .
As didnt see that flesh slightly looked like missing / peeled off on side of torch coral but did notice it very soon after put it in tank .but up until this morning the polyps was out of skeloton and swaying around quite nicely ( not as much as I would of liked but still quite good )
So think it is bjd on this purple torch ?
And think should try dip it and save it ?
Or just bin it ?
.I know you mentioning witch hazel and iodine so guess got my answer already but just doubting if should just bin the coral as read/watched YouTube videos saying if bjd act fast and get it out tank before contaminates other corals or is this not as much risk as what I think it is ?
I'm usually laid back guy but reading something @taricha said in another thread on treating bjd and regarding tearing down tank to sterilise it got me worried lol

Torch 4 hours ago was trying to come out but now back home looks like this in picture.
One of these pictures is from side of tank where letting glass go dirty so cbb doesn't fight his reflection and the torch hasn't got lots brown dots on it

20211109_200535.jpg 20211109_200556.jpg 20211109_200613.jpg 20211109_200617.jpg 20211109_200623.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You will want to use the witch hazel - 15 minute bath. I have no idea what is in your coral dip. I saw no ingredients. Look for what Najer said. It may be sold in the fish store by you (try to call and ask.) Also, chemi clean could work. I have had 2 torches die and I failed to save either from infection, mine looked to have started from the inside of the stomach though.

With other corals, even with my hammers and goniopora, peroxide and iodine saved them. Witch hazel is just as effective but safer than peroxide. Peroxide causes bubbles under the lps tissue.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok 4 us fluid ounces is only 118 ml so next to nothing and 1 ounce 28 ml so my 200 ml bottle could do at least 6 baths.
Do I put the torch in just one bath or a bath every day for several days ?
I edited my post above to show what torch looks like now btw .
And no leaflet in box of coral dip that I got so cant even look that for Ingrediants and online just says natural ingredients.

When bought the dip months ago I ended up having ring lfs up asking what dose I do as no leaflet and later did find on box the dosage in small writing lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211109-201101_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109-201101_Google.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20211109-201037_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211109-201037_Google.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 16

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say, try to save it. Brown jelly would have it destroyed by now. It does work quick and the tentacles look to be in okay shape. You will need to agitate the water as well. To help get the dead tissue off and what not.

Everyday give a bath, if you can get chemi clean, I would tag the guy who recommended it and ask for dosing and directions.

Also, if in the bath you see the torch is just falling to pieces, you'll want to toss it. Unless you have your hospital tank running.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the infection taken place? Basically, how many hours would you guess?
I bought the coral Saturday afternoon so this morning when noticed back of torch wasn't opening up full that is roughly 60 hours since I put torch in tank but since it had infection I have no clue as didnt realise problem till this morning once turned the coral around to get a better luck at it.
But as I say when I put torch in tank I did notice shortly after a piece of flesh on outside skeloton looked like it missing but flesh around that part was still flat and not peeling off if get me .
So in last 60 hours it slowly been deterioting I would guess but only realised how it is now this morning 10 hours ago where can see inside Skeleton ridges and flesh on outside peeling off.

Guess looking at it like this then if it has got bjd then it's had possible 60 hours of being in tank anyway so no harm taking out and putting in a witch hazel bath

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guess looking at it like this then if it has got bjd then it's had possible 60 hours of being in tank anyway so no harm taking out and putting in a witch hazel bath
Better to ask, it is still an infection of some kind. With brown jelly, things melt in hours. I don't know what kind of bacteria this one is.

Edit: if it falls apart in the bath, it is pretty much done without an antibiotic. Amoxicillian and cyproflax are the best form of treatment,

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say, try to save it. Brown jelly would have it destroyed by now. It does work quick and the tentacles look to be in okay shape. You will need to agitate the water as well. To help get the dead tissue off and what not.

Everyday give a bath, if you can get chemi clean, I would tag the guy who recommended it and ask for dosing and directions.

Also, if in the bath you see the torch is just falling to pieces, you'll want to toss it. Unless you have your hospital tank running.
Ok great will put in witch hazel bath now if can find something small enough to put torch in so don't have to double up on tank water and witch hazel etc.

Earlier today when took torch out tank and in a food take away container I give it quite a few vigourous squirts with turkey baster and a few tentacles came off eventually but was only a few and the outside flesh I used a Stanley blade to cut off the peeling off piece and tidied it up a little as thought the flow in tank would just ripped it off anyway and as a few tentacles was attached to it,I didn't want them floating around the tank kind of thing ,but will bath it and squirt and see what kind of condition it's in before lights go out which is very soon

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better to ask, it is still an infection of some kind. With brown jelly, things melt in hours. I don't know what kind of bacteria this one is.

Edit: if it falls apart in the bath, it is pretty much done without an antibiotic. Amoxicillian and cyproflax are the best form of treatment,
Yeah I got amoxicilian and doxycicline antibiotics that for my chest but don't know dosages to use so probably no good me guessing ha ha and my fish qt tank always running but stupidly since that leather toadstool got ripped off the rocks tje day before my holiday the other month I didn't siphon out the remains when it melted in tank,i thought was contained in plastic cup i out the toadstool in buy added rodi water earlier ( about 2 gallons ) and had massive detritus storm in tank and plus lights are probably worse lights possible for the tank at 15cm long and maybe got 6 white leds in it so wouldn't be no good for any kind of coral.
Ok will hunt for container and get back to you

Attachments

• 20211109_203506.jpg
    20211109_203506.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 18

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I got amoxicilian and doxycicline antibiotics that for my chest but don't know dosages to use so probably no good me guessing ha ha and my fish qt tank always running but stupidly since that leather toadstool got ripped off the rocks tje day before my holiday the other month I didn't siphon out the remains when it melted in tank,i thought was contained in plastic cup i out the toadstool in buy added rodi water earlier ( about 2 gallons ) and had massive detritus storm in tank and plus lights are probably worse lights possible for the tank at 15cm long and maybe got 6 white leds in it so wouldn't be no good for any kind of coral.
Ok will hunt for container and get back to you
250mg for 10g of water .

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have chemi clean for red slime? It's an antibiotic which has worked for some to dip corals in that have an infection.
Hi hope all is well.
I've managed to get some witch hazel liquid so just about to give torch a bath in it now but if managed to get some chemi clean tommorrow or whenever,would you know dosage to give the torch a bath or are you meaning add to dt ?
Any help appreciated and just trying to future plan and get prepared if needed thanks

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So add antibiotics powder to dt at 250mg per 10g of tank water or add antibiotics to seoerate container and give it a bath so to speak?
this would be long term treatment, a 24 hour sit. so hospital tasnk needed, cipro has been used in display by some. amoxicillian, i dont know.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a drinking glass can work. if your wife dont mind. I have 4 ounce glasses i always use.
Wow 118 ml doesn't even half fill a brandy glass .
I found another glass that slimer at bottom than top so this be better.will use the one on left as will fit torch in

Attachments

• 20211109_204752.jpg
    20211109_204752.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 25

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm usually laid back guy but reading something @taricha said in another thread on treating bjd and regarding tearing down tank to sterilise it got me worried lol
Not sure what you're referring to, I might've quoted somebody in a discussion I don't remember. But I don't normally advocate tearing down a tank for anything.

Not brown jelly or dinos or whatever. Anything can be worked through.
(And any torn down tank can get re-infected, so might as well figure out how to deal with whatever it was.)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back