Is this the beginning of cyano??

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks 2 weeks old idk if this is algae or what it looks kinda brown I think?? I figured I’d ask ty! Idk if you can tell from the pics tho

image.jpg image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks 2 weeks old idk if this is algae or what it looks kinda brown I think?? I figured I’d ask ty! Idk if you can tell from the pics tho

image.jpg image.jpg
To me it looks like the start of the ugly phase for sure! I wouldn’t say cyano - Usually you’d see reddish parts if it was the beginning for cyano.
I would probably say diatoms are starting (This is good, it usually means the tank is maturing)

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Pic it looks mainly to be on this one rock , most this rock was cycled for one month at my lfs and the other rocks were just dry rock not cycled or anything I thought picking up one rock that was cycled alittle would help but this is the only one growing this stuff on it the other ones are still very white

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 25

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Pic it looks mainly to be on this one rock , most this rock was cycled for one month at my lfs and the other rocks were just dry rock not cycled or anything I thought picking up one rock that was cycled alittle would help but this is the only one growing this stuff on it the other ones are still very white
For sure the start to diatoms - Also, couldn’t help but notice how many coral you have - And a very beautiful selection at that!

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like the start of the ugly phase for sure! I wouldn’t say cyano - Usually you’d see reddish parts if it was the beginning for cyano.
I would probably say diatoms are starting (This is good, it usually means the tank is maturing)
Ty! Just interesting how it started on the rock that was already cycled or so they say instead of the dry rock that was left out in the air ...I guess that means it was better to pick up the cycled rock and the guy wasn’t lying at the fish store ...,keep in mind the rock growing this stuff was 50 bucks more money then all my other rock combined !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 27

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty! Just interesting how it started on the rock that was already cycled or so they say instead of the dry rock that was left out in the air ...I guess that means it was better to pick up the cycled rock and the guy wasn’t lying at the fish store ...,keep in mind the rock growing this stuff was 50 bucks more money then all my other rock combined !
They charge by the pound? That's how they get you, those rocks can soak up a good amount of water

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They charge by the pound? That's how they get you, those rocks can soak up a good amount of water
They charge by the pound but they have rock that has been in water 1-6 months (they can’t say exactly how long my specific rock has been in their tub ) then they have rock that’s just been sitting in the air on a shelf ...the rock that’s been in the tub is A lot more I forget the price per pound but it ended up being 50 bucks just for the rock you see in the photo with the stuff on it ... the rocks that’s been sitting on the shelf that doesn’t have stuff growing on it yet was also by the pound but it was wayyyy cheaper I think 2-3 bucks a pound I forgot....if this makes sense ? I kinda made it sound co fusing I feel like

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure the start to diatoms - Also, couldn’t help but notice how many coral you have - And a very beautiful selection at that!
Ha ty I just threw some types in I think I could keep alive my last tank I did the same n lost none but that tank was cycling for a month the new one I’m doing now has been for 9 days lol....I think these rules of cycling are so overrated and I’ve proved yes certain fish and corals can live through the cycle you just gotta know which ones :)

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them coming around week 2 in my tank too. Week 3 now and they are slowly going away and could see green algae now.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

Back