Is this the dangerous zoa? Palytoxin?

elagstein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends,

I just bought a fully established tank that includes rocks. I was informed their are zoas on them and to be cautious with them.

Are these the dangerous Zoas? See p

if so, I do not want to keep them in my tank, it’s just not worth the risk. What do I do with them?

Any advice and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

5FF4E6F7-D4F0-4603-B31C-D7E91D7D9C39.jpeg D9E1807F-B6A7-42C1-B302-FE3FDD1C340A.jpeg

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no way to know for sure. if you're worried, then toss them (make sure to wrap them up)

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume every paly and zoa has the potential to poison just to be safe theres no one bad paly or zoa people make guesses like the duller ones are more dangerous but thats not a good assumption to make. Just be careful dont boil the rock or anything crazy and youll be fine. My buddy regularly frags palythoa grandis a very dangerous species and nobodys gotten sick just wear protective gear if fragging

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not dangerous if you take the right precautions when dragging.
Like previous poster said. Do NOT boil the rock. Wear protective eye protection and gloves when fragging
You could remove the rock and place it in a bucket of salt water and cover it with kalkwasser to kill them off if you don’t want them but want to keep the rock.
But they may be pretty. I love my zoas!

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the “designer” colorful zoa we’ve bred to death don’t contain much if any toxin. Palys are generally more toxic than zoa. The kind you have above look like wild type zoa to me which are the ones that studies show have the most palytoxin and are one of the “more” dangerous ones. That being said don’t eat them, boil them, cut them up and snort them, and you should be ok. Tons of stuff in this hobby is dangerous. It’s not worth never keeping zoa because of that. I have like 30 varieties I fool with all the time barehanded

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the “designer” colorful zoa we’ve bred to death don’t contain much if any toxin. Palys are generally more toxic than zoa. The kind you have above look like wild type zoa to me which are the ones that studies show have the most palytoxin and are one of the “more” dangerous ones. That being said don’t eat them, boil them, cut them up and snort them, and you should be ok. Tons of stuff in this hobby is dangerous. It’s not worth never keeping zoa because of that. I have like 30 varieties I fool with all the time barehanded
I've seen this alot never any proof. Do you have some studies that proove that the colorful zoas don't have palytoxin?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen this alot never any proof. Do you have some studies that proove that the colorful zoas don't have palytoxin?
Agree i do

@elagstein
If you are going to toss the rocks soak them in bleach first this kills all the palys and nuterlizes the palytoxin.

Last edited:

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t breed them per say... we grow and they’re genetically the same as when they were taken from the ocean I would assume... however yes there’s some truth the last article I read about there were 9 species of zoanthids from palythoa to zoanthids and all of them have varying levels of paly toxin some have so little it would never be a threat... (I can try to find the article) that being said ALWAYS assume the zoa you are handling is highly toxic... take precautions and you will never encounter paly toxin poisoning, wash your hands after handling, wear eye protection when fragging and don’t handle them with open wounds etc.

Rooki3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the info above. Treat them all as toxic. Especially brown polyps and palythoa grandis. Always use gloves when handling.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don’t breed them per say... we grow and they’re genetically the same as when they were taken from the ocean I would assume... however yes there’s some truth the last article I read about there were 9 species of zoanthids from palythoa to zoanthids and all of them have varying levels of paly toxin some have so little it would never be a threat... (I can try to find the article) that being said ALWAYS assume the zoa you are handling is highly toxic... take precautions and you will never encounter paly toxin poisoning, wash your hands after handling, wear eye protection when fragging and don’t handle them with open wounds etc.
yes please post it here

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
few people in the know here told me those are Halle Berry's.
not spreading fast at all. not like much of the other stuff I have.
Ah, that may be why then. Different than what I got just similar looking. I have a paly colony thats running a marathon in my tank, driving me crazy

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do with the sprinters? Anything special?
depending on what, some I let go. some I pull out and give away to the local financially strapped college kid and his reefing friends.
I'm also setting up a 50g tub to start moving stuff in to for grow out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back