OP
Dan K.

Dan K.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, not the right coloration or design on the shell.
Im worried because i have 2 conch snails that have the bulging eyes and trunk below the eyes. This snail has the snout above the eyes which never petrude from its shell. This is a cone snail pic from a website (1st pic). Its mouth looks similiar to mine.(2nd pic)
Im afraid of losing fish and other snails

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210118-175715_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210118-175715_Google.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210118_172916.jpg
    20210118_172916.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 67

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im worried because i have 2 conch snails that have the bulging eyes and trunk below the eyes. This snail has the snout above the eyes which never petrude from its shell. This is a cone snail pic from a website (1st pic). Its mouth looks similiar to mine.(2nd pic)
Im afraid of losing fish and other snails

I don't know the ID, but I agree with your caution. I'd keep separate until you have a positive ID.

ETA: I once had a crown conch. It ate a LOT of snails, but was pretty cool to watch stalk and hunt its prey.

Last edited:

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dan K. I agree with your caution, that is not a conch. I would toss it personally.

When it pertains to safety in this hobby, I would side with the safest approach.

"A few microliters of cone snail toxin is powerful enough to kill 10 people. Once the poison enters your system, you may not feel symptoms for a few minutes or days. Instead of pain, you could feel numbness or tingling."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan K.

Dan K.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dan K. I agree with your caution, that is not a conch. I would toss it personally.

When it pertains to safety in this hobby, I would side with the safest approach.

"A few microliters of cone snail toxin is powerful enough to kill 10 people. Once the poison enters your system, you may not feel symptoms for a few minutes or days. Instead of pain, you could feel numbness or tingling."

I appreciate your response. Thankyou.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really does look like a type of cone snail. Did this come in some live rock or did you purchase it? Knowing what ocean it came from could help with an ID. Not all cone snails will kill you by just looking at them, but they all have degrees of toxins you do not want to mess with. Handle with care for now (like with long tongs). Personally, I would separate it and feed it some shrimp pieces and see how it reacts, but I like to keep weird stuff

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may also have added anxiety towards these, because my wife likes to hand me "pretty shells" due to the lack of pockets in her swim suit while we are free diving.....

OP
OP
Dan K.

Dan K.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really does look like a type of cone snail. Did this come in some live rock or did you purchase it? Knowing what ocean it came from could help with an ID. Not all cone snails will kill you by just looking at them, but they all have degrees of toxins you do not want to mess with. Handle with care for now (like with long tongs). Personally, I would separate it and feed it some shrimp pieces and see how it reacts, but I like to keep weird stuff
I got it from the lfs. I asked for a tiger conch. My other two conchs have those famous conch eyes. This one doesnt. Im afraid it might take out my fish and other good snails. Dont want to risk it. It looks so harmless though lol

OP
OP
Dan K.

Dan K.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the ID, but I agree with your caution. I'd keep separate until you have a positive ID.

ETA: I once had a crown conch. It ate a LOT of snails, but was pretty cool to watch stalk and hunt its prey.
Thanks for your reply. Tried feeding it some mysis to see it react. Didnt see the "needle" potruding but i have a gut feeling he is no good

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back