Is this the start of a diatom bloom??

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a newly cycled 40 gallon FOWLR tank that has a pair of clownfish in it. I started noticing these little brownish/goldish tiny spots popping up on the live rock and aragonite. I am wondering if it is the beginning of a diatom bloom? Not sure what else it would be. If so, what should I do to stop it from getting crazy?

EDF28ED7-389F-4199-8F5E-DA4EDBB584D1.jpeg D3B08AB4-A261-4720-B6C8-85945350BB36.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is. A few things you can do to slow it down is:
Lower white light intensity a little
Increase flow a little if you can
Add about 3-4 nassarius snails and 6 blue leg hermit crabs.

OP
OP
Twalker791

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! I do have 2 scarlet hermits and 4 teeeeny tiny blue legs, but no snails yet. I will get some tomorrow! Just the nassarius will eat it? Also I have just a white light that came with the hood so should I just keep the lights off until I get the snails in there?

kaweesha562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my lights off until my tank cycled. Left them off for a good 3weeks or so. still do your water changes as normal. Yes , the snails will eat some of it but mainly the uneaten fish food which will help with the bloom.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are likely feeding on any silicates in your new rocks and sand. As soon as their food source is exhausted, they will likely dissapear. When my tank had them, it would get worse as the day went on... Then mostly disappear at night and then reform again the following day when the lights came back on. It only lasted about a week in my tank and then went away as fast as it appeared. It has not come back since.

My snails cleaned it off rocks somewhat but didn't touch the stuff on the sand much. Stirring or vacuuming the sand made it go away temporarily but would just come back until it all just went away one day.

OP
OP
Twalker791

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my lights off until my tank cycled. Left them off for a good 3weeks or so. still do your water changes as normal. Yes , the snails will eat some of it but mainly the uneaten fish food which will help with the bloom.
Yes I had the lights off the entire time it cycled. I have only had fish in it for a week, and just yesterday and today I’m noticing the spots

kaweesha562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will go away eventually you don’t really have to do anything but you can help out by getting DR. Tim’s One in only to help your bacteria get a hold of the ammonia late least that’s what I used but there are other ones

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will go away eventually you don’t really have to do anything but you can help out by getting DR. Tim’s One in only to help your bacteria get a hold of the ammonia late least that’s what I used but there are other ones

He said the tank was already cycled. If so, no need for the Dr. Tim's.
If it's diatoms feeding on silicates, no need to do much, it will go away in due time.

Bishop346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have a newly cycled 40 gallon FOWLR tank that has a pair of clownfish in it. I started noticing these little brownish/goldish tiny spots popping up on the live rock and aragonite. I am wondering if it is the beginning of a diatom bloom? Not sure what else it would be. If so, what should I do to stop it from getting crazy?

EDF28ED7-389F-4199-8F5E-DA4EDBB584D1.jpeg D3B08AB4-A261-4720-B6C8-85945350BB36.jpeg
Do you use marine pure blocks ? If not use them and buy a bacteria additive it will be the best decision you did for filtration . I have 220 sps tank I use about 4 blocks in my sump works the best

OP
OP
Twalker791

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use marine pure blocks ? If not use them and buy a bacteria additive it will be the best decision you did for filtration . I have 220 sps tank I use about 4 blocks in my sump works the best

I don’t even know what those are! I put a bottle of Bio-Spira when I started my tank cycle to get it going.

OP
OP
Twalker791

Twalker791

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have live rock and aragonite sand, HOB filter, and protein skimmer for filtration

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back