Is this the state of captive bred marine fish?

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but it’s odd for people that are against collecting wild caught fish to get into a hobby that offers mainly wild caught fish except a few species. Then proceed to stand of their soap box and preach how good of a person they are for having only captive bred fish. It brings an elitist mentality to the table that does not need to be there. I agree captive bred fish are the future of this hobby. I just don’t like the elitist mentality that comes with it from the early adopters. If the fish were the same price, same coloration, I would buy captive bred 100% of the time.
While I am familiar with the attitude you are referencing, I haven't personally experienced the elitist attitude your referencing. There is a really great build thread on here titled "Nothing from the sea" or something like that, and it's really good. He doesn't preach, he just shares his tank.

I'm sure there are some people who are rude about their opinion though.

Personally I agree with the principle of what your saying.

furyofthegnomes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The people that purchase the early batches of these captive bred fish help everyone down the road. It is these people that are absorbing the burden of the expense of learning more efficient ways of captive breeding these fish. At least that's the way I see it. Once the price of the captive bred fish drops to something I can manage I'll support them. Maybe with the techniques learned from these captive breeding processes we'll see captive bred versions of more expensive and rare fish in the coming years that will be significantly less than the price of wild caught specimen from hard to get to areas. Or maybe if more places close to export captive bred may be our only option for certain varieties of fish. I don't think we should be poking fun at these people we should be happy they're around, good for them for purchasing these fish, and maybe down the road, good for us. I'm sure some of them out there dished out a lot more that the hundred bucks I did for a captive bred coral beauty. And no I'm not so naive to think there isn't a bit of a money grab on the company's part to cash in on early adopters, but I'm willing to bet with the cost of development they're not swimming in money in a money vault somewhere. Just my thoughts.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of these hippies are super into captive bred, literally won’t stock their tank with anything other than captive bred, so I’m guessing those types of people.

There’s a fair number of millennial hippies that are into reefing, it’s quite peculiar.

You are definitely one of my favorite people. :D

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My hippie reefer is 11. He has clearly voiced his desire to do captive bred in the future. I hope prices become more competitive over time. It's a choice I'd like him to have. Going green...or um blue?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of wild caught fish have been caught using cyanide, which shortens their lifespan and ability to adapt to an aquarium. I also hate that they use cyanide in the ocean because think about all the anemones they’re subjecting to sickness and countless other wildlife.

But $800 wouldn’t be a price point if no one was willing to buy. Obviously someone will buy it. Some people do have that kind of money.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's still for sale. Looking forward to your post about buying it.
I believe there is more than just one for sale at that price. I’m 3-4 months away from adding my first live fish of any kind. I wouldn’t add one of these for 6-8 months.

Looks like you can afford one though. Just park that Ferrari for a little bit...

OP
OP
lakai

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is more than just one for sale at that price. I’m 3-4 months away from adding my first live fish of any kind. I wouldn’t add one of these for 6-8 months.

Looks like you can afford one though. Just park that Ferrari for a little bit...

Your tank looks like its ready to go just add water and some bac and you'll be ready for fish in a few weeks.

I can afford one but I already have a purple tang and am not too interested in captive bred fish at the moment. Besides you got that F117 Stealth fighter money and can buy two. I know my place in the world and would never steal your clout.

DibsOnMcRibs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m the hippy you’re looking for. My reef is 100% captive bred. If it were larger, I’d be investing in the purple tang now. As it stands, I won’t have the space to upgrade for a couple years.

With all the restrictions on collecting and the instability of reefs, I feel the people that can invest in breeding programs should.

To each their own. It’s your money. And we each get our value from the hobby in different ways.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The recklessness of the greater collection and distribution system in this hobby is going to eventually lead to nothing but captive bred fish. Anyone thinking things are going to be relaxed instead of further scrutinised and curtailed is dreaming.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks like its ready to go just add water and some bac and you'll be ready for fish in a few weeks.

I can afford one but I already have a purple tang and am not too interested in captive bred fish at the moment. Besides you got that F117 Stealth fighter money and can buy two. I know my place in the world and would never steal your clout.

I believe you can. Like that Ferrari.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also interested in why aquaculture of fish that are not rare, in threat of extinction not under threat of a export ban is "the future" considering captive bred fish that are sold currently are in all those categories.

I think in time you will see more "Rare" specimens being the focus of captive bred research. I mean they might be working on some right now and we don't even know it. I think because rare species are just that, rare, it's hard to even find one of them in the market, let alone the countless fish I would think you would have to have to even get one breeding pair paired up and spawning. And even if you did, to recoup the insane investment of purchasing that many rare fish. You would have to charge an even more ridiculous price on the offspring to even dream of breaking even. Which would push the market into further unsustainable territory and more threads like this;):p (Kidding). I'm sure you get what I mean. To me the rare fish would almost have to be a side project and getting more common fish to breed in captivity is just the bread and butter to keep the wheels turning so eventually they can start offering more rare types of fish.

I am also interested in the survivability of some of these fish that aren't yet available in captive bred form. I'm hoping it's not 1 in 7000 ( And I know you were just throwing a number out) but it's probably not too far off from that.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back