Is This Type Of Mushroom Safe With Seahorses?

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this safe and is this considered a hairy mushroom?

BeserkerShroom-RetailPrice_49_SALEPRICE_31_2048x2048.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no expert ,going to say no,happy horsing ;)

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhodactis. I wouldn't call them passive. Large ones can stun and kill slow fish. so I wouldn't, what kind of sea horses do you have? plenty keep discosoma with them but they do grow like weeds.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rhodactis. I wouldn't call them passive. Large ones can stun and kill slow fish. so I wouldn't, what kind of sea horses do you have? plenty keep discosoma with them but they do grow like weeds.

Right now no seahorses but am planning for my first ones in next week! Woo-hoo!, H. Erectus. Doubt it would eat them just don't want the SH to be injured by them if in fact they can be.

Thanks for the ID!

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do also have a court jester goby in there so maybe not a good idea to house the rhodactis regardless?

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now no seahorses but am planning for my first ones in next week! Woo-hoo!, H. Erectus. Doubt it would eat them just don't want the SH to be injured by them if in fact they can be.

Thanks for the ID!
It is possible for them to be injured yes. Love Erectus, seahorse savvy has some of my favorite gray ones with cirri

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible for them to be injured yes. Love Erectus, seahorse savvy has some of my favorite gray ones with cirri

I was lookimg at those and may get some from seahorsesavvy later down the road.

I went with Ocean riders and got two of their orange and yellow sunburst combos. Pricey but really want vivid colors for my first ponies. Tank was purchased and made just for them! (well and for the wife too lol) . I asked for ones with cirri in the order comments. Will see if they pick ones with alot of cirri or not.

I'm just going to avoid rhodactis for now, just want to make sure ponies are kept happy and uninjured.

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was lookimg at those and may get some from seahorsesavvy later down the road.

I went with Ocean riders and got two of their orange and yellow sunburst combos. Pricey but really want vivid colors for my first ponies. Tank was purchased and made just for them! (well and for the wife too lol) . I asked for ones with cirri in the order comments. Will see if they pick ones with alot of cirri or not.

I'm just going to avoid rhodactis for now, just want to make sure ponies are kept happy and uninjured.

Are you aware the colors are going to change when you get them? Just want to make sure lol

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aware the colors are going to change when you get them? Just want to make sure lol

Yes. I am expecting to see color changing from them. From my understanding though, their sunburst seahorses are bred by choosing brighter pigmented seahorses to mate with allowing for brighter color morph potential.

I had to find out what their difference was between their 'mustangs and 'sunburst' and apparently their mustang line has more predominantley earthly or subdued tones vs the sunbursts.

I dont know how much of a difference it makes but will find out soon!

And BTW I appreciate any and all input you have as this is my first go at raising seahorses. So thanks!!!

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I am expecting to see color changing from them. From my understanding though, their sunburst seahorses are bred by choosing brighter pigmented seahorses to mate with allowing for brighter color morph potential.

I had to find out what their difference was between their 'mustangs and 'sunburst' and apparently their mustang line has more predominantley earthly or subdued tones vs the sunbursts.

I dont know how much of a difference it makes but will find out soon!

And BTW I appreciate any and all input you have as this is my first go at raising seahorses. So thanks!!!
so according to OR, the sunburst line were basically line breed and they have a higher number of chromatophores, resulting in a predisposition for certain colors. These sea horses are reacting to not only their environment but their diet as well. It is high in astaxanthin & canthaxanthin which is what makes a flamingo pink. Is it possible to never supplement the diet they once had & get amazing colors YES! but it increases the odds of having that bright yellow or orange sea horse everyone dreams of. You also want to add as much of that color to the tank & brighter lightening gives them a "sun tan" deepening the color.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
best wishes ,like the concern for the horses over impulse :cool:

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so according to OR, the sunburst line were basically line breed and they have a higher number of chromatophores, resulting in a predisposition for certain colors. These sea horses are reacting to not only their environment but their diet as well. It is high in astaxanthin & canthaxanthin which is what makes a flamingo pink. Is it possible to never supplement the diet they once had & get amazing colors YES! but it increases the odds of having that bright yellow or orange sea horse everyone dreams of. You also want to add as much of that color to the tank & brighter lightening gives them a "sun tan" deepening the color.

Thanks, I didn't know that about the food supplementation and coloration! I was hoping to avoid their vibrance since it is so pricey but might start off with that just to get off on the right foot
Thanks for that info!

Tank coloration is my biggest hurdle, I have plenty of reds but its the yellows I am finding difficult to get in the tank with yellow fiji leathers impossible to find these days. I have a hard enough time getting yellows in my acro tank! Lol!

I am trying to keep things natural as far as not having fake corals in the tank and would rather have natural hitches. One of the reasons I was thinking of the rhodactis in question is to get some brighter colors in there.

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best wishes ,like the concern for the horses over impulse :cool:

Thanks! Done a fair amount of research putting the tank together for the ponies just fine tuning the details of what goes in with them. Its great to learn from those who have more experience on things like this rather than go the ole trial and error on the seahorses!

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I didn't know that about the food supplementation and coloration! I was hoping to avoid their vibrance since it is so pricey but might start off with that just to get off on the right foot
Thanks for that info!

Tank coloration is my biggest hurdle, I have plenty of reds but its the yellows I am finding difficult to get in the tank with yellow fiji leathers impossible to find these days. I have a hard enough time getting yellows in my acro tank! Lol!

I am trying to keep things natural as far as not having fake corals in the tank and would rather have natural hitches. One of the reasons I was thinking of the rhodactis in question is to get some brighter colors in there.

Yellow chains? or Yellow gorgs maybe?

with all the respect to OR, you are paying more money to pay for the science behind the diet & convenience. you can acquire the same ingredients yourself to make your own foods. It is obviously more work

OP
OP
Charles4400

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow up the the rhidactis question, I was reading up on seahorse savvy 's site and they say that rhodactis is OK to keep with shs.

Screenshot_20200525-120253_Samsung Internet.jpg

So I guess the next question is has anyone kept rhodactis or ricordea with seahorses and if so have there ever been any issues?

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a follow up the the rhidactis question, I was reading up on seahorse savvy 's site and they say that rhodactis is OK to keep with shs.

Screenshot_20200525-120253_Samsung Internet.jpg

So I guess the next question is has anyone kept rhodactis or ricordea with seahorses and if so have there ever been any issues?

they also sell goniopora which are considered more of an aggressive coral... if you choose to have a Rhodactis in your tank know there are different species and some of them have aggressive feeding responses. Place them higher on rocks or places away from where your sea horses would hitch.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have also had purple gorgo ,burn tail ,also burn mark on gorgo,lead to her demise

Salemsoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't think I will put a rhodactis in there, at least not for now...just to be extra cautious.. Will look for some more vivid colored discoma instead.
best of luck! its an observed holiday so hopefully you find a steal! :)

Back