Is this Uronema?-Lyretail Anthias

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help identifying. Sorry for not great pictures. HOPING that someone can tell if this is a bacterial infection or Uronema. Also hoping that it is a bacterial infection.

The scales are very raised and light almost translucent looking. There is not an open lesion, but it has the pattern of affected scales are across the body like you would see with uronema.

Would appreciate any help with ID.

Let me know if you have any questions.

anthias 2.jpg anthias 1.jpg anthias 3.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes on uronema.
A freshwater dip will offer fish temporary relief. A formalin or Ruby Rally Pro bath are the two best options for providing relief to the fish:
Formalin (45 min bath) or Rally (90 min bath).
Treatment of choice is a 45 minute formalin bath (e.g. Quick Cure), followed by transfer into a fresh QT. Once in QT, its important to do follow up treatment to ensure all of the parasites have been eliminated. This can be accomplished by dosing and soaking food in metronidazole (e.g. Seachem Metroplex) for 10-14 days.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response Vette. Sadly she expired.

SO. I purchased this fish from a vendor that offers QT service and the fish went through QT protocols. As such, I placed directly into my DT. Sigh. She was only in there a few hours, but I'm assuming now Uronema is in my DT.

The next questions are:

How can I eliminate it from my DT?
How can I ensure that the fish in the DT tank do not succumb to Uronema? Is this even possible?
There were 3 other anthias in the shipment, should I try to pull them out of the tank and into a separate QT tank? Not sure how successful this will be without tearing the tank down.

Basically what are next steps now that I know this fish has been in my DT.

HUGE lesson learned here. I will never place a fish directly into my DT even if it comes from a QT service. I'm completely heartbroken.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick response Vette. Sadly she expired.

SO. I purchased this fish from a vendor that offers QT service and the fish went through QT protocols. As such, I placed directly into my DT. Sigh. She was only in there a few hours, but I'm assuming now Uronema is in my DT.

The next questions are:

How can I eliminate it from my DT?
How can I ensure that the fish in the DT tank do not succumb to Uronema? Is this even possible?
There were 3 other anthias in the shipment, should I try to pull them out of the tank and into a separate QT tank? Not sure how successful this will be without tearing the tank down.

Basically what are next steps now that I know this fish has been in my DT.

HUGE lesson learned here. I will never place a fish directly into my DT even if it comes from a QT service. I'm completely heartbroken.
Here is my article on Uronema that I posted:

Jay

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting the article Jay! I have read it. I'm looking for ..... so you have uronema in your DT, what's next?

How can I eliminate it from my DT?-Can I treat the display with CP? If so, can I treat at a lower PPM than 20 if there are not active infections going on to make it more gentle for the fish? What organisms is this toxic for? Starfish, snails, crabs? Coral? Macro algae? Will this affect the bacteria cycle in the live rock?

Any help or direction would be most appreciated!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t dose your DT with CP it will nuke everything except the fish and maybe some crabs.
Uronema is found in virtually every established tank, for some reason, unknown to me, it switches from its normal bacteria diet to eating fish internally. In almost every case, the affected fish are new chromis, anthias or wrasse.
Jay

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Thank you. So what does that mean long term? Are the fish in my DT likely not going to experience any disease?

Current stock list: pair royal grammas, pair ocellaris clownfish, neon goby, midas blenny, melanarus wrasse, convict tangs, hippo tang, 3 lyretail anthias (just added, 2 look good, 1 not so good. There were 4 originally and 1 died pics of that fish were in the OP). At this time the only fish that looks bad is the one anthias.

If I add fish that are on that 6 species list (anthias, wrasse, chromis) in the future will they get it? I have 2 black axil chromis in QT being treated with CP and don't want to add them if they are just going to pick it up.

Would I be able to frag coral from my DT in the future and share?

Thanks for addressing all of my questions. Trying not to freak out.

OP
OP
Tabasco1

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anybody is following along. After some research and getting some guidance plan A will be to dose the tank with metro. 25mg/gallon every other day for 2 weeks. Adding a couple drops of DMSO to help dissolve. Looking into sending out water for testing to make sure clear.

I'll update on success of that protocol. Fingers and toes crossed.

Alexgar224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got this fish from my LFS and I can’t tell if it’s Uronema or not! I was following this thread and hoped that you could help identify for me Jay!!

It also looks like the fish has what appear to be 2x black warts on his fin as well. All of these symptoms seem to just be popping up.

IMG_1582.jpeg IMG_1580.jpeg IMG_1583.jpeg IMG_1584.jpeg IMG_1590.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back