Is this Uronema?

tmcjilton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3C883029-3748-472E-BD26-7EFC9AB6C26A.jpeg

Is this Uronema, or something else? I just added 7 Chromis to my DT after a 3 month fallow period following an outbreak of brook. This fish had a mark on its side since day one that I noticed the following day after adding to DT. Now it looks like something took a big bite out of it.

Mandarin Lovejoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have access to a microscope? If so get a skin scrape and see. They are easy to spot on the slide.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it. This is one of the few diseases I’ve dealt with and of course it was with chromis.

OP
OP
tmcjilton

tmcjilton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 of the 7 fish are all acting normal and eating fine with no visible marks or anything. 1 has been hiding in the rock work since day one, the other one is the one with the gash in its side.

I’m worried this issue is something that will spread and don’t know if it’s something that can be controlled.

I just finished a fallow period due to brook and now am ready to remove corals and nuke this tank if it’s what’s needed.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you do to remedy the issue?

Unfortunately it showed up so fast that by the time I noticed it the chromis in question was already on the way out. I removed it from my little system and the other two chromis I had didn’t catch it. They did, in typical chromis fashion, kill eachother off through belligerence. I would imagine an anti-bacterial treatment might take care of it. But in my experience and from my research on here, it seems like when it’s finally noticeable it’s usually too late or almost too late.

here’s what my case looked like:

5A14E2B3-46C5-47BF-A427-98906135745F.jpeg

OP
OP
tmcjilton

tmcjilton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it showed up so fast that by the time I noticed it the chromis in question was already on the way out. I removed it from my little system and the other two chromis I had didn’t catch it. They did, in typical chromis fashion, kill eachother off through belligerence. I would imagine an anti-bacterial treatment might take care of it. But in my experience and from my research on here, it seems like when it’s finally noticeable it’s usually too late or almost too late.

here’s what my case looked like:

5A14E2B3-46C5-47BF-A427-98906135745F.jpeg

Thank you so much for the intel. I just lost the first chromis and it looks just like yours.
420622DE-687B-42AD-9D15-05AFB25E5334.jpeg

It’s a shame this is happening to me immediately following a brook outbreak that took all of my fish and a 3 month fallow period. I haven’t even had these guys in the DT for a week!

After your issues with the chromis did any other fish get infected, or just the chromis? I’m reading that this disease doesn’t require a fish in the system to survive and I’m not sure what to do about that as another fallow period won’t kill it off.

Did you do anything to your DT after this or was everything fine after it was over?

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the intel. I just lost the first chromis and it looks just like yours.
420622DE-687B-42AD-9D15-05AFB25E5334.jpeg

It’s a shame this is happening to me immediately following a brook outbreak that took all of my fish and a 3 month fallow period. I haven’t even had these guys in the DT for a week!

After your issues with the chromis did any other fish get infected, or just the chromis? I’m reading that this disease doesn’t require a fish in the system to survive and I’m not sure what to do about that as another fallow period won’t kill it off.

Did you do anything to your DT after this or was everything fine after it was over?

Weirdly it was just the one that got Uronema. My clowns and the other chromis I had are/were fine (no longer have any chromis). This happened when I was about 6 months in so I really didn’t know what I was doing. It almost seems like if you have a group of chromis, the weakest one is just about slated to catch it. All I did after I lost the one was be overly paranoid and annoy my buddy at my LFS with questions. I’d say keep an eye on things, if any of the others start showing signs try and qt them. Personally I’m steering clear of chromis as much as I love them because this just seems to be endemic with them.

Also, check out the content @Humblefish has posted, he has a good write up regarding this disease and many others

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks that way or at least bacterial. Uronema seems to impact more fish today than it ever did before. Uronema is particulalry troublesome and can be deadly and when it's identified it is often too late to treat, and it's an internal and external parasite. Best treatment is Ruby Rally

OP
OP
tmcjilton

tmcjilton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks that way or at least bacterial. Uronema seems to impact more fish today than it ever did before. Uronema is particulalry troublesome and can be deadly and when it's identified it is often too late to treat, and it's an internal and external parasite. Best treatment is Ruby Rally

Thanks. I suppose I will just monitor these guys closely.

My other concern is that now that it’s a possibility that my DT has this, do I need to be worried about this happening to other fish in the future?

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My other concern is that now that it’s a possibility that my DT has this, do I need to be worried about this happening to other fish in the future?

the reality is just about every illness (ich, uronema, etc) is going to be at least somewhat present in our systems. Yes, you could have a completely sterile system, but that in and of itself is dangerous because it doesn’t promote any immunity/resistance. also, unless you have laboratory grade equipment, sterilization processes, and know how, good luck.

Best thing any of us can do is create as diverse of an ecosystem as we can with micro fauna and keep our systems healthy. Make sure your fish are fat and happy. Make sure you have solid parameters. I’m sounding more and more like @Paul B these days the more I learn and plan for my dream build. But really, it’s logical.

I work with kids and I can tell you even though I’m with a ton of little plague bearers every day, I fall ill maybe once a year vs my friends who work office jobs. Heck, that’s why 90 kids like me had to fake being sick to get out of school; we were outside in the mud, getting dirty.

edit: look at what the old salts on here do: @Paul B @WVNed and others. I’m not saying don’t try and treat a fish that’s suffering. But fish have immune systems and mucous costs for a reason. Better to help those natural systems than not utilize them

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

With good husbandry and water quality, your tank should be good. Have some ruby rally or similar treatment available in the event it would reoccur.

Back