Is this valve reef safe? DIY Reef Genesis Auto Water Changer

Rundmc2016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed my chance to buy it, so I'm going to diy it. Any knowledgeable engineers out there know if this valve is reef safe?

Body Material: PA66 Nylon Plastic

Seal Material: NBR (Buna N) Diaphragm & Plunger Tip

It looks like the body is nylon, will this crack/become brittle with repeated exposure to salt water?

Seal is made out of nitrile, so I think that's reef safe?

Other options I looked at were the anticorrosion solenoid on the same website but their rep said it needed a minimum pressure of 5psi to be safe to open and I checked out an actuated ball valve from another site that was close to $140.

OP
OP
R

Rundmc2016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

Rundmc2016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed my chance to buy it, so I'm going to diy it. Any knowledgeable engineers out there know if this valve is reef safe?

It looks like the body is nylon, will this crack/become brittle with repeated exposure to salt water?

Other options I looked at were the anticorrosion solenoid on the same website but their rep said it needed a minimum pressure of 5psi to be safe to open and I checked out an actuated ball valve from another site that was close to $140.
I got a reply from the manufacturer.

"Thank you for your inquiry. This 2PCG series valve is a diaphragm type, the liquid or salt water will contact the metal parts such as spring and plunger inside the armature tube. Therefore, it is not recommended for salt water application."

So that's a no go.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Motorized ball valve, $69.95. Saltwater safe.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The valve shown xr33, will stay where it is during power failure. It requires power to move in either direction. So if you are topping off and power fails, valve stays open.

OP
OP
R

Rundmc2016

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The valve shown xr33, will stay where it is during power failure. It requires power to move in either direction. So if you are topping off and power fails, valve stays open.
I contacted this company and they suggested I buy that and the XR22 module and swap so that it actuates closed automatically.

Total would be $110.

I got another quote from this company for $136

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back