Is this velvet? And what is the best way forward?

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish from LFS in quarantine since a week (3 tangs, 3 wrasses and a Midas Blenny). Today, four of these are peppered with white spots. This happened very fast in the last 12 hours. Could this be velvet? The quarantine tank was on API General Cure for 2 days followed by a 50% water change yesterday. I have the following available: Formaldehyde (10% formaline = 4% formaldehyde), API General Cure, and Seachem MetroPlex. What is the best way forward?

@Jay Hemdal or @Humblefish ?

Cheers!

IMG_6135.jpg
IMG_6136.PNG

Last edited:

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have copper on hand? whether its ich or velvet they both need to be treated with copper also how are the other fish do they have the same symptoms? or is it just the sailfin

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To follow this story up. I treated the QT with 1ml/10 gallons formalin and all the fish were symptom free in 3-4 days. There were no white spots left. Because some fish started flashing and were visibly irritated on the gills, I started again on praziquantel. And behold, one day later the sailfin is covered again by white spots.

IMG_6177.JPG

This really beats me... Could this be some mucus reaction to praziquantel? I can't believe that velvet would come back so quickly after 4 rounds of formalin over one week.

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is a video:

You can also see that all fish are breathing really fast. Any idea what is going on?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty classic presentation of Cryptocaryon, ich. It needs to be treated with copper and a good test kit, ASAP.

Jay

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is pretty classic presentation of Cryptocaryon, ich. It needs to be treated with copper and a good test kit, ASAP.

Jay

@Jay Hemdal, thanks for the reply! I am surprised that it's ick since the popular saying goes that "if you can count the spots, it's ick, if not, then it's velvet". And I wouldn't start counting the number of spots the sailfin has today (photo below). I am also surprised that the infestation re-emerged very rapidly only one day after a 5-day formaldehyde treatment that totally pushed back the previous infestation.
IMG_6202.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s ich. Trouble is, it is at the point where geometric growth will explode and when all of those tomonts drop, the fish will be overwhelmed and will likely die. Trouble is that copper takes three days or more to gain control of the infection....I’m not sure it has that much time!
Jay

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s ich. Trouble is, it is at the point where geometric growth will explode and when all of those tomonts drop, the fish will be overwhelmed and will likely die. Trouble is that copper takes three days or more to gain control of the infection....I’m not sure it has that much time!
Jay
Thanks you so much Jay, I really appreciate your help! I can only get cupramine on Tuesday, and the nag is that I have also a wrasse in the QT... so that will be an interesting challenge. A week ago, formalin worked very fast on the sailfin, with visible health improvements in just 1-2 days. I hope I can repeat that and then possibly switch to Cu2+ treatment. Is copper that much more potent than formalin? Previously, I did an in-tank treatment of 1 ml formalin per 10 gals of water.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty standard dose of 25 ppm formalin. It might buy you some time, but as a treatment, it won't be effective....

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back