OP
Thor1911

Thor1911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He went from having a couple white spots I thought he had ick, to this in two days.
This morning there were 50 white specs to this

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be bad case of Ich or velvet. Was the fish hiding from the light, swimming into a flow, lethargic, breathing heavily?

OP
OP
Thor1911

Thor1911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding from light and lethargic, hard breathing

This has went from a couple dots to almost a dead fish in two days.
All my other fish are fine

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiding from light and lethargic, hard breathing

This has went from a couple dots to almost a dead fish in two days.
All my other fish are fine
Sorry but that sounds like velvet.

Emergency protocol:

Freshwater dip to remove many of the parasites from the fish's gills so it can breathe better.

Then immediately into a 60-90 minute bath of Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities so it helps with infections. This step greatly increases survival rate.

Then into a pre-dosed QT with either a chelated copper like Copper Power/Coppersafe pre-dosed up to 1.0 ppm. Or into a QT to be pre-dosed with an ionic copper like Cupramine up to about 0.20.
Bring the copper up to therapeutic within 48 hours: 2.0 ppm for chelated copper; 0.50 for ionic copper.

Dose the QT with an antibiotic like Spectrogram or Kanaplex + Furan2

Add a powerhead aimed up to the surface so it's actively rippling the water surface to add 02.

All the fish will need to be treated and the display tank will need to go fallow for 6 weeks for velvet.

OP
OP
Thor1911

Thor1911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastnight I thought Dory was going to die for sure! :( but with a 10 minute fresh water bath, and a qt tank with ParaGuard and Furan2 (used what I had at hand). Dory is very alive and rockin today! What is extremely weird to me is, Dory was/currently the only fish to be experiencing anything like this in my tank? I have a yellow tang, 6 line wrasse, strawberry pseudochromis, blenny and a mandarin goby and none of them have any spots or any signs of anything? I know I need to get all my fish out and into the QT tank, but I am waiting a day or two just to see if anything surfaces? or is that stupid of me? :) thanks for the help guys

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the spots are there "after" the parasites have finished feeding on your fish and have dropped off to begin the cycle again. So the others may have been attacked already but are not showing the mucous marks yet. "Dory" is kind of a canary in the coal mine. They usually present quickly.

OP
OP
Thor1911

Thor1911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the spots are there "after" the parasites have finished feeding on your fish and have dropped off to begin the cycle again. So the others may have been attacked already but are not showing the mucous marks yet. "Dory" is kind of a canary in the coal mine. They usually present quickly.
Thanks for the help and advice Big G I appreciate it, and everyone else! Thank you all

Do you think 20 gallon is big enough? Its all I currently have for a qt tank
5 fish, all small in size, dory being the biggest. You know I just lost my flame angel 2 weeks ago, it just disappeared out of no where. Never saw a trace of it, my cleanup crew is like 10 reef crabs and a huge emerald. I wonder if it died from this first and I just didn't see it as I've been super busy these past few weeks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 will have to do. Usually use a 40 breeder for tangs, but time is not your friend right now. Water changes frequently will help. Just make sure that the dirty saltwater coming out with copper is replaced with pre-dosed copper at the same therapeutic range. Never let the copper fall below therapeutic range otherwise the clock starts over. You might be right about the Flame Angel. Sometimes velvet doesn't present externally. It attacks within the gills unseen and quickly.

OP
OP
Thor1911

Thor1911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 will have to do. Usually use a 40 breeder for tangs, but time is not your friend right now. Water changes frequently will help. Just make sure that the dirty saltwater coming out with copper is replaced with pre-dosed copper at the same therapeutic range. Never let the copper fall below therapeutic range otherwise the clock starts over. You might be right about the Flame Angel. Sometimes velvet doesn't present externally. It attacks within the gills unseen and quickly.
Do I use water from my tank predosed for qt, or no more display tank water.
Is api test OK for copper? Hannah's are 60$

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use freshly made saltwater for my QT's. Especially if the display has parasites.

Those color matching test kits are horribly unreliable. Way too easy to under and over dose. The Hanna will lower the stress on your fish and on you. :) They are a great investment.

OP
OP
Thor1911

Thor1911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually use freshly made saltwater for my QT's. Especially if the display has parasites.

Those color matching test kits are horribly unreliable. Way too easy to under and over dose. The Hanna will lower the stress on your fish and on you. :) They are a great investment.
Thank you for your grand advice! :)
Few updates as I go through this quarantine, my yellow tang died! :(, giving him a proper funeral tomorrow
All other fish are good
Salt levels are on point, temps 77-78, I followed Cupramine instructions to the letter, airstone and powerhead aimed up to the surface.
I have to second the API copper test kit is less then worthless, it is IMPOSSIBLE to see what the heck its at.
My hanna will be here in 3-4 days. :)
I still have a strawberry pseudochromis "Prince" in my DT I cannot get out, I removed all my rock and still can't get him. So I have a fish trap sitting in there, starving him for a few days and putting some food in there :) If that don't work, I don't see any other way other then to use a hook and bait? lol is that inhumane?

Thanks Gary!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck. You will love how the Hanna helps you to treat your fish better and lower your angst.

OP
OP
Thor1911

Thor1911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck. You will love how the Hanna helps you to treat your fish better and lower your angst.
Hey pal! QT is going great! :D, for the most part!
I have a quick question, my mandarin goby, doesn't seem to be eating any of the frozen food I'm feeding him, hes a skinny twig now :(, the food I got says it says its for mandarin gobies. Is it possible to feed him pods from my display? Like when I do a 10gal water change, I can just siphon it from the walls and collect 500 pods ez. Could I put the mandarin in that for a few hours so he can feed? He needs a big meal

I read in another thread "they don't get ich so you don't have to worry about it carrying it into your system."
Is that true? could the goby go back into the display?

or do I put pods into my qt tank? all the other fish will get 99% of them before he gets one

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a tough call.
I'd probably order some pods from someplace like Algaebarn where they raise pods in a fishless environment. Could divide up your QT with some eggcrate to keep the other fish away while it feeds.
While Mandarins may not be effected by Ich, they can carry the parasites in their mucous coat.

OP
OP
Thor1911

Thor1911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a little more research and looking around, I found out people hatch brine for mandarin in qt, imma try that

OP
OP
Thor1911

Thor1911

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ayeyoo how many days you think i should run my dt fishless? im running it at 80.5 just to cycle faster
I read ich can live 72 days without fish but that is also a maximum perfect case. Reason i'm asking is my mandarin is getting SLIM and he needs some pods :(

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back