Is this white spot or just a mark?

Azzaman160

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can anyone help please? Is this white spot or just a mark on the fish, he does seem to be getting chases by my 6 line wrasse??

Thanks

20201120_101520.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots are larger than ich would be. They do appear to be bite marks. I also see some damage to the top back edge of the dorsal fin. The caudal fin also seems paler than it should be for this species, but that may just be a function of the the lighting. Since you saw some chasing by the six-line, and since they are known to be a bit nasty in some cases, I would think that is indeed the issue. @vetteguy53081 taught me a cool trick - set up your phone to video the tank while you are out of the room, and then go back and review it for signs of fish aggression. Too many times when you are in the room watching them, the fish are busy watching you and are on their "best behavior".

The big question is, "what to do about it?" I know a lot of people just try to wait and see if things settle down, but that doesn't always work. Separating the damselfish can stress it out, and why punish the "loser"? The old Benny Hill lobster sketch always pops into my mind, in a modified way, "Bring me the winner!" he would say - in other words, one option would be to isolate the six lined (the winner) and allow the damsel to settle in, regrow its skin/fins, get a bit larger and then try introducing them again...

Jay

OP
OP
A

Azzaman160

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those spots are larger than ich would be. They do appear to be bite marks. I also see some damage to the top back edge of the dorsal fin. The caudal fin also seems paler than it should be for this species, but that may just be a function of the the lighting. Since you saw some chasing by the six-line, and since they are known to be a bit nasty in some cases, I would think that is indeed the issue. @vetteguy53081 taught me a cool trick - set up your phone to video the tank while you are out of the room, and then go back and review it for signs of fish aggression. Too many times when you are in the room watching them, the fish are busy watching you and are on their "best behavior".

The big question is, "what to do about it?" I know a lot of people just try to wait and see if things settle down, but that doesn't always work. Separating the damselfish can stress it out, and why punish the "loser"? The old Benny Hill lobster sketch always pops into my mind, in a modified way, "Bring me the winner!" he would say - in other words, one option would be to isolate the six lined (the winner) and allow the damsel to settle in, regrow its skin/fins, get a bit larger and then try introducing them again...

Jay
Hi thanks for that, thats great feed back. Unfortunately the fin damage came from the larger blue Damsel we had that was pure evil and terrorised (smurf) the smaller remaining one, the evil one went back to the LFS he came from.
I've not seen the six line attack him, so I will give your video trick a go I think.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back