Is UPS the worst shipping company?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man UPS never fails to deliver late in my area. I had a coral delivery setup for this morning... took the day off work so I would be home. But big surprise, they claim the package arrived at the local sorting facility at 1:30 am, and since then there has been no additional information. Not even loaded on a delivery truck yet from what I can see. Now it says the item will be delivered by 7:00 pm (why am I paying for 10:00 delivery when they're going to do this?). About a month ago UPS somehow got my package at the local facility and then proceeded to ship it back across the country to where it originated. So fed up with this company, I can't even talk to a human being when I call to inquire about the status of my delivery.
From now on it's FedEx or I'm not going to place an order. FedEx has never failed to deliver on time.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your area. There is another active thread right now claiming Fed Ex is the worst.

They are both great in my area. I've never had a coral shipment delayed, and I've received quite a few shipments the past year.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Man UPS never fails to deliver late in my area. I had a coral delivery setup for this morning... took the day off work so I would be home. But big surprise, they claim the package arrived at the local sorting facility at 1:30 am, and since then there has been no additional information. Not even loaded on a delivery truck yet from what I can see. Now it says the item will be delivered by 7:00 pm (why am I paying for 10:00 delivery when they're going to do this?). About a month ago UPS somehow got my package at the local facility and then proceeded to ship it back across the country to where it originated. So fed up with this company, I can't even talk to a human being when I call to inquire about the status of my delivery.
From now on it's FedEx or I'm not going to place an order. FedEx has never failed to deliver on time.
I HATE to say this But every time I’ve gotten such notice and they stated by the end of the day- it came the next day and early

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for me fedex is much worse. The UPS driver will leave stuff on my porch under the roof if it's raining and fedex leaves everything outside in the rain. I've had electronics i needed to send back because they got fried by fedex leaving them out in the rain when the porch is two feet next to where they left it

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW - hear and have had many more bad FedEx experiences

UPS nearly always flawless delivery, though yesterday an arrival by 10:30am came afternoon (getting some $ back though arrived alive - whew!)

now sad every shipping company fails us at times

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't ecspecially like FedEx or UPS although in my local area I've never had an issue. If the package makes it to my local sort facility I'm usually good. It's the issues getting from the origin to my city where I worry.
I don't order livestock very often online though, so my sample size is fairly small

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW - hear and have had many more bad FedEx experiences

UPS nearly always flawless delivery, though yesterday an arrival by 10:30am came afternoon (getting some $ back though arrived alive - whew!)

now sad every shipping company fails us at times
Ive tried to get money back from UPS delays lately and the customer service says the package is not eligible for a refund lol.

All and all i still use UPS over fedex because most of my fedex packages get delayed.

It varies by area.

I just ordered some berghia from back east and it was 3 days delayed by fedex, and the 2nd box he sent was 2 days delayed. Lucky the berghia survived the second shipment.

Last edited:

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried to get money back from UPS delays lately and the customer service says the package is not eligible for a refund lol.
The last I had heard all shipping companies cancelled their overnight delivery guarantees last summer when everyone started ordering everything online, and I don't think they have reinstated them yet.

Anyway, for me UPS is pretty good, and really hate to get anything shipped by Fedex.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last I had heard all shipping companies cancelled their overnight delivery guarantees last summer when everyone started ordering everything online, and I don't think they have reinstated them yet.

Anyway, for me UPS is pretty good, and really hate to get anything shipped by Fedex.
Yea i heard this too.

I think even when they were doing it they trained their customer service to give you a hard time before agreeing to credit back the shipping charges lol

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I always use air cargo for live animal shipments if I can. That is far less expensive and much faster.

A number of my suppliers will only use UPS and charge the shipping to their own account (for a better rate).

I recently paid over $500 to FedEx for a single 50# box of jellies from Galveston to Toledo! (priority overnight)

I calculate a 5% delivery failure rate for FedEx in the winter.

I always check for storms in any areas of a flight (including FedEx hubs) before placing an order.

I never ship for a Friday arrival, or anytime around holidays.

Jay

TankCandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   1
I will only pick up at the local hub anymore. I am all to familiar with the truck driving right past my house and not receiving my live goods. Also when i sell coral i will only ship to local hub of the buyer.

OP
OP
Spieg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will only pick up at the local hub anymore. I am all to familiar with the truck driving right past my house and not receiving my live goods. Also when i sell coral i will only ship to local hub of the buyer.
This is what I usually try to do as well. In this case, the vendor was not willing to set it up to hold had the hub.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I usually try to do as well. In this case, the vendor was not willing to set it up to hold had the hub.
If its similar to shipping to a UPS store i dont know what the issue may have been.

You literally put the store address, store number and contact name of the pickup person. When making the label lol.

OP
OP
Spieg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its similar to shipping to a UPS store i dont know what the issue may have been.

You literally put the store address, store number and contact name of the pickup person. When making the label lol.
Holding at the hub is different. Shipping to UPS store is the same as shipping to any other address. When they hold at hub, it never gets put on a delivery truck.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

when I want something held at the hub I call them at 7 am and have them pull it when they unload the next day air truck. It is normaly not unloaded until after 8 am. Then I normally have it by 9

OP
OP
Spieg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I want something held at the hub I call them at 7 am and have them pull it when they unload the next day air truck. It is normaly not unloaded until after 8 am. Then I normally have it by 9
UPS has never been willing to do this (not that I could get ahold of anyone in person to ask). Their contract is with the vendor who arranges shipping. Hold at hub must be setup at the time the shipping label is created.

BeachWater2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK if this is the problem. Look at tracking. UPS started this thing where if they can't deliver the package (if you aren't home, or the driver doesn't try hard enough) it goes to a drop off facility that's close by (could be anything, even corner in the local convenience store), and it's is re-delivered the next day, or you get a notice to pick it up.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPS has never been willing to do this (not that I could get ahold of anyone in person to ask). Their contract is with the vendor who arranges shipping. Hold at hub must be setup at the time the shipping label is created.
I do it all the time and have never set it up in advance.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back