Is UPS the worst shipping company?

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We actually switched from Fedex to UPS because fedex was delaying my packages by a day at least 2 times a week. For a small business it really causes problems not just because of DOAs but because the customer loses trust even though it has nothing to do with us.
So far, fingers crossed, we've only had one problem with UPS and that was like a minor delay and the package was delivered just an hour late.

OP
OP
Spieg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it all the time and have never set it up in advance.
Don't think that is an option here. The only way to talk with someone is to call an 800 number (who knows where they are), and they say they will have someone from the local hub call me back (which never happens).

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think that is an option here. The only way to talk with someone is to call an 800 number (who knows where they are), and they say they will have someone from the local hub call me back (which never happens).
I call the local hub

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a mailbox at a UPS Store and once or twice a year UPS would call me because they couldn't find the store (address was correct).

"What kind of store is this?"

"It's a UPS Store! The address is listed on your website!"

During the Holiday Season they would have temp drivers and if I saw them in the parking lot when going to check my box I would ask them if there was a UPS Store nearby.

sbreefco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who ships quite a bit, the answer is no. UPS is by far the best. I know it's of no consolation if your waiting on a package, that's super frustrating.

We have used USPS, UPS and FedEx, but use UPS exclusively now because they are the only shippers that were actually reliable. We ship 99% of orders Next Day Air, which is guaranteed to be delivered by 10:30 or Noon depending on how far from the hub you are and over 95% are delivered. That being said some places (South Florida) are worse than others for lost and late packages, and when there is an issue there is no one to contact, you keep getting that voice prompt that tells you your package is on the way.

Yeah, it sucks when it is your package lost our late but everything taken into account UPS is the way to ship.

OP
OP
Spieg

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I work, we use Fed Ex exclusively for next day deliveries (usually by 8:00am or 10:00am) and UPS for hardware returns because time is not critical on the returns (and UPS ARS costs less).

Drao05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gor 2 coral deliveries via UPS in the last week and both times they were supposed to deliver by 10:30am but didn’t receive them until after 5pm. I will not be ordering from shippers who use UPS for a while until they get their stuff together.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
UPS just updated tracking... now it is expected Friday by 7:00pm. *sigh*
Like I said and it will be around noon

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man UPS never fails to deliver late in my area. I had a coral delivery setup for this morning... took the day off work so I would be home. But big surprise, they claim the package arrived at the local sorting facility at 1:30 am, and since then there has been no additional information. Not even loaded on a delivery truck yet from what I can see. Now it says the item will be delivered by 7:00 pm (why am I paying for 10:00 delivery when they're going to do this?). About a month ago UPS somehow got my package at the local facility and then proceeded to ship it back across the country to where it originated. So fed up with this company, I can't even talk to a human being when I call to inquire about the status of my delivery.
From now on it's FedEx or I'm not going to place an order. FedEx has never failed to deliver on time.
All local experiences are different. For me, FedEx is the worst shipping company second only to DHL.

UPS, on the other hand, is fantastic [in my area]. Of course, we live pretty close to arrival facilities for both which themselves are only 20 min from airport facilities. Always predictable and always courteous and always leaves the boxes out of sight.

I’ve quite literally had FedEx throw boxes onto my and me neighbors steps and sometimes just next to the sidewalk connecting to our pathway I’ve also had them tumble larger items on the concrete rather than lift or use a dolly. I own two liquor cabinets that the seller just let me keep with a full refund since they couldn’t get a non damaged one shipped to me after two tries. Signature required? Forget about it. Most vendors use FedEx for live animals and I am always worried about the state of the creatures each and every time since they never take signatures. I could never meet live arrival guarantee requisites if Im not offered the opportunity to sign for something!

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gor 2 coral deliveries via UPS in the last week and both times they were supposed to deliver by 10:30am but didn’t receive them until after 5pm. I will not be ordering from shippers who use UPS for a while until they get their stuff together.
Texas and Florida no longer have 10:30 arrival guaranteed because of COVID. Our UPS rep called early last week to inform us. Not everyone has a UPS rep that will give them a heads up though

Drao05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Texas and Florida no longer have 10:30 arrival guaranteed because of COVID. Our UPS rep called early last week to inform us. Not everyone has a UPS rep that will give them a heads up though
Good to know! Thanks so much for the info!! I’ll have them hold at the warehouse for me to pick up.

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fedex is by far the worst. I once overnight shipped 3 anemones, and it was delayed in some warehouse for 4 days. The anemones melted and I lost about $350. Never going through fedex again!

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just got my first online shipment through UPS; same experience. Was supposed to be delivered by 1030, didn't get it until almost 5.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it's just area-dependent.

My vote for WORST is FedEx, because:
(1. For a long time they couldn't find my house even though:
-- It's a tract home, not some "off the beaten path", secluded, single home.
-- UPS had no problem delivering here.
-- I could find it by just typing the address in on Google Maps and iPhone iOS Maps app.
(2. They completely destroyed a bass amplifier I bought, left it and ran (even though damage was obvious just by looking at the outside of what was left of the box),,, then conveniently lost it during return to seller.

*in fairness, all of the above was some years ago.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going with area dependent. I live in a smaller city (<25k residents) and an hour from the nearest big city. Provided no outside delays (like hub delays, damaged packages, etc.) UPS has always delivered by the 10:30 AM deadline. My one fedex delivery was delivered at 8:30AM. I’ve never had a hub delay but did have a damaged package that I had to pick up yesterday from the UPS distribution center about 25 miles away.
That said, USPS is by far the worst here. My wife has a home based business and her packages are regularly late by 3+ days or even a few weeks

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I complained in the fedex thread. I thought a lot about it.

With all the online orders, I don't know if it's because they are so packed and lines are just flooded by the mass,
All I can say is,
Monday for Tuesday shipping is a no go for fedex. Memphis is just flooded. UPS I don't know their main hub for long travel. I probably should never risk Thursday for Friday arrival. I have a couple of times. Fedex is the worst for me. UPS has had it's issues too. They delivered my coffee (already dead anyhow) to my next door neighbor. I had to go look for it. UPS in my area gets my livestock here around 9:30. Fedex around 1:30, or I don't see my package until the next day and it isn't even at my local hub for pickup.

From both sides though, fedex and ups will roughly handle all packages. I don't might dry goods. I do mind equipment and livestock. For this, I camp my porch and let them know. I am watching and not a camera. This doesn't stop it from happening at the facility though. It's not right for us to have to worry about this.

I am sure these guys are exhausted. They have deadlines to meet. They have hundreds of packages to check and delivery daily. I don't want their job, I don't want to pick up and drop off hundreds of lbs of dog food daily and make sure livestock gets to an address on time.
I just ordered a bucket of salt and 50lbs of dog food. I can't imagine how many other people have heavy orders out as well.

For a small business it really causes problems not just because of DOAs but because the customer loses trust even though it has nothing to do with us.
And this right here. I love most of the vendors I have bought from, some I will never buy from again and not because of shipping. I just try to plan out my orders better when I have livestock involved.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the worst shipping company is the one you're dealing with at that moment. Anecdotally, I see more frustraions on here with Fedex by far.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back