Is Uronema really the end

SundownReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I read through quite a bit of posts and internet research regarding uronema and its seriousness is quite obvious. Most of the input and advice seems to be informational with the end-all being ‘nuke your whole house’. (Ok maybe not that extreme), but I’m not seeing as much follow ups from those that had it in their DT. There is enough concern with one or two or a school of fish coming down with Uronema and while on the slim side the fish survives through QT and treatment, my question is for those of us who caught it in their DT. Knowing that it stays in the water column, lets go with permanently, does anyone want to chime in if they didn’t go the nuke option and just lived with it and had a successful reef?

A few on here more or so hinted that they made it work, but they seem to be drowned out by those that are saying boil everything. Just knowing how prevalent it is in some extremely common fish, I have a hard time believing that not more tanks are carrying it weather by accident or negligence. (Negligence in my case). Thoughts from those that chose to live with it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is a ubiquitous marine protozoan - you can isolate it from virtually any established tank. It just becomes a pathogen under certain conditions and with certain fish. Have you read the article I posted on it?

Jay

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple of chromises come down with it in my DT. I treated the entire tank with Ruby Reef Rally and they both survived. Your tank will look crappy for a couple of weeks though - cloudy water.

OP
OP
S

SundownReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two out of three chromis die from. The third seems to be doing fine along with a couple other damsels. Coupled with jays post above and the ease of the initial realization of the disease in the DT, I’m going to let things go, QT as I go and get some medication just in case instead of doing a tear down.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back