Is water with calcium carbonate precipitate ok to use in QT?

Mecogirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to royally mess up my most recent batch of saltwater mix by putting way too much salt in the mixing tub and then trying to dilute it back down to a reasonable salinity. I didn't know this at the time, but doing it that way causes pretty significant calcium carbonate precipitation so now the water is cloudy. I have set up my QT tank with this water and am wondering - is this water, if the salinity and pH are appropriate, still ok to use in a QT tank? is the cloudiness purely an aesthetic issue or could it potentially hurt the fish? I know the ions are out of solution but, since there are no corals or anything, I don't think it should matter much to the fish. Thoughts?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to royally mess up my most recent batch of saltwater mix by putting way too much salt in the mixing tub and then trying to dilute it back down to a reasonable salinity. I didn't know this at the time, but doing it that way causes pretty significant calcium carbonate precipitation so now the water is cloudy. I have set up my QT tank with this water and am wondering - is this water, if the salinity and pH are appropriate, still ok to use in a QT tank? is the cloudiness purely an aesthetic issue or could it potentially hurt the fish? I know the ions are out of solution but, since there are no corals or anything, I don't think it should matter much to the fish. Thoughts?
I’ve mixed saltwater way too strong many times, and then diluted it back down and never had any of the precipitation that you’re talking about. Are you sure that’s what’s going on. If you’re positive that is the issue, it should be absolutely fine for a fish QT tank.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back