Is what we're doing illegal?

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interesting topic, well I gutted a trout the other day... It was both brutal and premeditated, is that a homicide?
I guess the rules of engagement would be different if you mean to consume the piscine vs. keeping it as a pet?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUT farmers are legally required to have a veterinarian prescribe antibiotics and conduct surgeries.

In most states only licenses veterinarians can (paraphrased)

1. Diagnose or prescribe a drug, medicine, appliance, application, or treatment of whatever nature for the prevention, cure, or relief of a wound, fracture, bodily injury, or disease of animals.

2. Administer a drug, medicine ,appliance, application, or treatment of whatever nature for the prevention, cure, or relief of a wound, fracture, bodily injury, or disease of animals, except where the medicine, appliance, application, or treatment is administered by a registered veterinary technician or a veterinary assistant at the direction of and under the direct supervision of a licensed veterinarian

(d) Performs a surgical or dental operation upon an animal.
Where is this being paraphrased from?

A lot of this is state specific, (I'm in VA) but a lot of the things listed in here are specifically listed as legal to do in our livestock laws.

Most of it is probably carved out as part of the cottage laws (IE, if you're not selling, what you can do is way wider).

Remember - the general laws on animal treatment don't generally apply to livestock - there are more specific laws for livestock. I can't legally neuter a cat - but I sure as heck can legally band a goat or sheep.

So it becomes a question of - are these pets or livestock? What if you're running a coral farm?

(on the other hand - Bayer dipping corals is almost certainly illegal)

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the rules of engagement would be different if you mean to consume the piscine vs. keeping it as a pet?
In my profession legal opinion I think that is dumb. And the livestock vs pet difference is (what's the legal term...) silly!

Animals are animals.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that we (and big fish drug companies like API) aren't all being sued to kingdom come, some part of what we do isn't covered by law. But....we do a lot for our fish. We:
  • Treat our fish with known medications, ranging from anti-parasitics to antifungals to antibiotics (herbal remedies fall under the holistic cures, so I don't count them here).
  • Perform minor relatively noninvasive surgical techniques, such as swim bladder puncturings (minor in that there's minimal to no bleeding).
  • Sedate or anesthetize fish in clove oil or MS2-22
I just wanted to check...are we allowed to do this? Like, there are no laws that say "Thou shalt not perform a swim bladder puncturing on thy deepwater fish" or similar, right?

Is it okay as long as we're not doing this stuff on other's fish? Mostly, it's because I'm thinking about deepwater fish and was googling if it was legal for me to operate on them by doing swim bladder punctures. For example, I found this, and it's fairly comprehensive...

I've never seen any rules at my state level with regard for personal care of aquarium fish. Our local Fish and Wildlife department fish pathologist has told me they somewhat avoid the pet trade, probably because it would be daunting and expensive to regulate/police.....who would pay for it? My fish and wildlife tax dollars and fees....I don't think so.

There are regulations in place for use of chemicals on food fish. Some of the nasty chemicals we can't use or are regulated for certain uses and are reported yearly to governing agencies. Our Fish Health Pathologist who isn't a Vet has to get a prescription for certain medications from a vet to treat fish at the state level.

I would like to add that regarding personal livestock/pets, in my state I've seen plenty of instances of neglected horses, etc. when the state has had to step in and rescue animals.

mygsris2slo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll need to take a vet with me next time I go fishing. The FWC actually has a demonstration video and discusses how to vent a deepwater fish prior to release.

Honestly, if you're that concerned about the wellbeing of the fish you won't put them in an artificial environment that's constantly on the verge of collapse in your living room.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had given me a document from any other state in the Union other than california I may have actually considered reading it and taken it seriously.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back