Is your aquarium water as CLEAR as you would like?

Is your aquarium water as CLEAR as you would like?

• YES

Votes: 389 59.8%
  • NO

Votes: 228 35.1%
  • Don't care that much

Votes: 24 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 1.4%

• Total voters

Roscovitch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many reef aquariums where the water is so clear it seems that there is no water at all! Of course good glass or acrylic can play a part in that but it's mostly due to the ability to keep the water column clean! So let's talk about it today!

1. How clear is your aquarium water and does it matter to you?

2. What are the best ways you have found to keep your water clear?

@Broadfield has one of these super clear reefs!
32638538282_b18f6e6c3d_h.jpg

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water is pretty clear, but I wouldn't say it's crystal clear. But my tank is old (and the glass wasn't the best quality) and I don't have any mechanical filtration other than a skimmer. I do run a small amount of carbon in a media bag 24/7, and change it out weekly, and I've noticed that helped. It's a cheap and effective way to improve water clarity.

reefguy89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took a bit to get there but the water itself is pretty much crystal clear. The haze is the camera and glass. It’s an aio with floss chemipure extra carbon and a uv light.

Attachments

• B1546936-193C-472D-8F2E-AD17313305D2.jpeg
    B1546936-193C-472D-8F2E-AD17313305D2.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 88

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope; tons of particulates.

My filter roll (AquaCave sold it as a "Bubble Magus" but that brand isn't anywhere on the instruction manual so maybe they rebranded?) lasted about 10 days on a fresh-out-the-box roll. It worked quite well when it was working, but I wasn't prepared to reorder so soon. And if they always last 10 days, that's like $70 a month on toilet paper. So now I'm looking into those low-cost coolant filter paper things (anyone know a reliable source other than "buy some from eBay"?)

If you are talking about the medium BM, I have been experimenting with different rolls. The Aquamaxx rolls are a little too wide. I managed to cut them down with a meat slicer but it's a PITA. They did last better than the BM rolls. I'm now running the filter paper rolls. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265219569070?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 Be aware these are 50 yards or 150 foot. He will supply the correct 6" wide on a 2" core. I tried the 50 micron first but they seemed to clog quickly so now I'm trying 80 micron. So far seems to be lasting fairly well. Also be aware the rolls are larger dia. so that could be a concern if height is an issue. I made a new spindle out of 1 1/2 PVC that raises the roll. You also have to come up with a take up core. I've been reusing after pulling the used material off and attaching the new with double sided carpet tape.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s a oxydator? I thought ozone was?
Basically it's a none electrical piece of equipment that very slowly releases hydrogen peroxide. There is a Oxydator user group on facebook with lots of information on Oxydators their use and benefits. The results are very similar to ozone but there is no controller needed and is safe to use to help purify the water in a very similar way to ozone.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fairly clear water in one tank and a reef blizzard going on in the other. Guess which tank is healthier? It all depends on how you define clear. Carbon is used to remove discoloration, but you only get that invisible look if you have mechanical filtration removing most of the particulates. I have a clarisea filter roller on one tank and my corals suffered because of stripping all of the foods they eat. I opened up the bypass valve so there is always something floating, but the water still stays clear. The corals are doing much better, but I may even open it up more. 20210821_115639.jpg

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A better question is whether a crystal clear tank is even optimal for the inhabitants...
I think this debate largely depends on what you mean by crystal clear. There are generally 3 things that can cause discolored water.

1. Particles
2. Dissolved organic compounds
3. Living organisms (Free Floating Algae and Bacteria)

In the case of particles you can make an argument that they might be good if they represent food that animals can consume. If they are food that animals won't consume then they are waste. I personally don't employ any mechanical filtration as I think my corals like to eat small particles and I am completely happy with the particle level without adding anything to address the issue.

For complex dissolved organics that are removed by carbon or broken down by Ozone/Peroxide. I think there is pretty firm agreement that these are bad. No show animals can eat these, maybe some sponges and filter feeders can, but the majority of the animals we are trying to keep do not benefit from these compounds and in fact most corals might suffer from the lack of light and irritation from the compounds in the water. I also believe these compounds are generally very low on coral reefs. When diving I do notice more particles than in most reef tanks but I notice no tint to the water like I do when looking down the side of an aquarium.

Concerning free floating organisms that can be removed with UV. It is a mixed bag. Edible plankton may be good but there are certainly pest algaes and disease organisms that also live in the water column. I personally believe the best approach is to kill everything and then add back the good organisms by using UV along with plankton additions and bacterial supplementation.

guysmiley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run uv a bubble magus large filter roller its clean enough for my liking fish and corals seem happy

Wyvern

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running Ozone, UV and h2O2, my water is very blue, but LOTS of particles, lots of pods and sand, thinking about running a polisher once a week.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank at nearly 8 months old with only handfull of corals,used to run clearish just with some sponges in sump as water hits it and travels through it and a skimmer and some rock and thats all that was there ( well told 4 year old daughter got big crabs and bobbit worms in sump so never put hands in or pour anything in sump ^_^ ) she a good kid but dont want walk in one day to her putting stuff in tank or pouring washing up liquid in sump to " helpe clean tank lol " anyhow tank was clearish till started feeding clams /oysters/scallops as main food for tank then noticed little while after tank cloudier so either the fresh shell food done it or just coincedence and having bacterial blooms idk but added activated carbon in a media bag in sump and tank never been as clear ( from a distance) go closer and can see lots particles ^_^

Edit: just remembered my silver belly wrasse often dive bombs the sand going under it then as he comes straight back up he and his fishy friends catch whatever micro fauna he dislodged during his kamikazee mission lol
Neat party trick and very ingenious behaviour,he hands down my most favourite fish in tank and the cheapest also

Catnip885

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is clear I think the filter floss and the chemipure elite do the brunt of the cleaning as well as good water changes and cleaning the glass very often

Phistergosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope; tons of particulates.

My filter roll (AquaCave sold it as a "Bubble Magus" but that brand isn't anywhere on the instruction manual so maybe they rebranded?) lasted about 10 days on a fresh-out-the-box roll. It worked quite well when it was working, but I wasn't prepared to reorder so soon. And if they always last 10 days, that's like $70 a month on toilet paper. So now I'm looking into those low-cost coolant filter paper things (anyone know a reliable source other than "buy some from eBay"?)
I buy the rolls that go into a klir automatic filter roller. I cut the material into 7 inch pieces and put it in a weir that's in my sump. I change it often. The roll is 50 yards for 20 bucks. Lasts like 250 days if your swap daily.

The paper / cloth that are on those filter rollers have to be a reef safe equivalent to the coolant filters. I recommend buying those and figuring out a way to make it work without using the actual roller system.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other: my water is almost as clear as I would like.

1. How clear is your aquarium water and does it matter to you?
There are sparse micro-bubbles in my water column. I usually do not mind them too much.

2. What are the best ways you have found to keep your water clear?
Some "very coarse" Aquamesh helped to slow down water flow in my sump, allowing micro-bubbles to more easily make their way to the surface. I do not really want to use finer media to trap the bubbles, however (going for a more natural approach to filtration).

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loop carbon reactor plus a properly sized UV sterilizer that is plumbed to the return pump keeps everything crystal clear.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water is very clear ( not UV clear tho). I like to keep it not super clean to have my filter feeders fed , (oysters, feather duster, coral/Xenia). I do notice a significant difference if I leave my UV on but I think it messes with my equilibrium too much

Attachments

• 4D2FA146-8111-4D2A-AB8B-F9DB60264B74.jpeg
    4D2FA146-8111-4D2A-AB8B-F9DB60264B74.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 60

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back