Is your aquarium water as CLEAR as you would like?

Is your aquarium water as CLEAR as you would like?

• YES

Votes: 389 59.8%
  • NO

Votes: 228 35.1%
  • Don't care that much

Votes: 24 3.7%
  • Other

Votes: 9 1.4%

• Total voters

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A better question is whether a crystal clear tank is even optimal for the inhabitants...
Every time I feed my fish - my crystal clear water - is not crystal clear, same when I wipe the glass. I do not think there needs to be particulate matter present 'all the time' for the health of the inhabitants. I never purposefully feed coral. But - whenever I clean the glass the tank can actually look fairly cloudy. The Goniopora immediately start 'eating'. I think you're right (If thats what your saying) - that having crystal clear water all the time - is likely not helpful. BTW - there are still millions upon millions of bacteria in the tank water - even it looks 'crystal clear'

UK softy bloke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many reef aquariums where the water is so clear it seems that there is no water at all! Of course good glass or acrylic can play a part in that but it's mostly due to the ability to keep the water column clean! So let's talk about it today!

1. How clear is your aquarium water and does it matter to you?

2. What are the best ways you have found to keep your water clear?

@Broadfield has one of these super clear reefs!
32638538282_b18f6e6c3d_h.jpg
I don't have a substrate and I have masses of sponges growing in the tank and filter which must help. I have never used carbon but always have a poly filter running.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is kind of related, but how do you guys handle the sheen that salt/saltwater leaves on the outer side of your glass? it's almost oily and i can't seem to get it all off even with a pretty comprehensive wiping with a dry cloth.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I started using RO water with a DI filter I have had dramatic results. Not only with clarity but coral, and fish growth it is like steroids'. Also a phenomena that I cannot explain. I woke up to a flooded basement ( carpet ) . Only an inch deep but enough that I had to strip all the carpet. Ever tried to move a 90 gallon full function aquarium with a 40 gallon sump? My other tank was of greater concern because of the fact it had to be moved on to a new stand and is only glass. It is only a 40 gallon, but full of coral. I drained it down to 15 gallons and took the leap. Was careful of the sheer pressure caused by water movement. It went very well. I added the old water back, and topped it up with about 3 gallon's of new. For some reason I cant explain the water became beautifully clear. Any ideas?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon has kept my water crystal clear apart from the occasional anthelia arm flowing around after being cut off by the powerhead

MillennialReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always strive to go for the natural look of a reef. So I actually prefer to see particles in my water column. The idea of crystal clear water where fish look like they are floating is unnatural to me...Ive been diving to many times to notice the water in the reef is not clear.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MillennialReefer is correct. There is a lot of particles in the sea and in my tank. The water between my particles is crystal clear, but a normal reef has a lot of stuff floating around. That is due to the actions of the creatures especially if you have spawning fish who are constantly cleaning something to lay eggs on or fighting other males away. This was a few years ago.

crapshoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a reusable polishing filter? I like filter floss, by I don't like buying plastic polyester and then throwing it out. I want something renewable or decomposable.
years ago I used to have a diatomaceous earth filter on my 300 gallon tank. I think it was a vortex. That thing polished my water like no other, tho I was always worried it was taking stuff out of the water column that my corals needed. There was a trick to getting it loaded up and I would only run it for a few hours at a time once a week, but hands down the best thing I've ever seen to clear up your water.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is kind of related, but how do you guys handle the sheen that salt/saltwater leaves on the outer side of your glass? it's almost oily and i can't seem to get it all off even with a pretty comprehensive wiping with a dry cloth.
vinegar water in a spray bottle. I use it on the cabinet as well. Chose a white red sea this time to hide the salt streaks. I also only use micro cloths. Those cloths get washed separately as well to keep cat hair and other lint off

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want clear. Crystal clear once I do my glass! My last tank, this was a fail, in a big part due to plain glass, and an used aquarium with water-clouded glass. My first red sea was such a pleasure. The 125 not so. Now I'm back to red sea and it is so much nicer viewing.

I think the UV sterilizer is helping a lot. I think it could be a bit more clearer but I'm happy. Time to change carbon.
Whites were dimming down. Should get a better pic tomorrow afternoon
20211107_191035.jpg
20211107_191046.jpg
20211107_191114.jpg

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vinegar water in a spray bottle. I use it on the cabinet as well. Chose a white red sea this time to hide the salt streaks. I also only use micro cloths. Those cloths get washed separately as well to keep cat hair and other lint off
brilliant! love your tank!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back