Is your overflow noisy and how can you "dampen" the sound?

Do you think your current overflow is too noisy?

• Yes

Votes: 178 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 298 51.2%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 98 16.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.4%

• Total voters

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed an Eshopps Eclipse M and it is INCREDIBLY noisy!! Not the dry-side box.. the wet side weir box. It's just a constant trickle. It's too deep or something. I've done everything I can think of, but can't stop the noise with out a sponge - which is less than ideal.

Anyone have the same problem? i emailed the company and they directed me to Youtube to some guy making his own standpipe. What a JOKE!
You can raise the level in the inside box by raising the drain pipes in the outer box. Or just put a sponge in the inner box.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two holes drilled in each corner overflow. That leaves me no option for a full siphon. Unless someone has any ideas, I'm stuck with this unpleasant gurgle.
You can still run one as a full siphon. You can also just put 45 degree fittings on the top of your stand pipes. Before you do use a Dremel or sand paper to radius the inner corner so water will flow smoothly over it. I find this set-up very quite at low, medium and high flow without any adjusting needed.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you think your current overflow is too noisy?

The tank sounds like Niagara Falls, but I am deaf so I can't hear it unless I'm wearing hearing aids.

2. What are some tips and tricks to cutting down on a noisy overflow?

The simplest way to make any tank dead silent is to unplug everything.*

*Note: This fix will work for a TV, loud stereo, or a spouse in intensive care. Ask your doctor before you pull the plug.

Elizabeth Corday Doctor GIF

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chadfish @Bars had the same issue and resolved it by using sponge to stop the noise when it drops. I see no issue here if it can overflow the sponge and not completely block the flow.

I tried 10 ppi "sponge" but it's not good enough. Going to get 20ppi, which should work and still open enough for me to be confident on a day-to-day basis, but would remove if I'm away for any length of time.

I'm also thinking about gluing in a very small piece of plastic on the inside of the wet-side weir to act as a "ramp". That might help too.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two holes drilled in each corner overflow. That leaves me no option for a full siphon. Unless someone has any ideas, I'm stuck with this unpleasant gurgle.
I have a 92 corner with only 2 holes in the overflow. I switched the drain to a Durso and slowed my pump from full speed (5) to 1/2 speed(3) and it is super quiet. (Did the slow down due to adding new lights and needing to drop the water level than for noise).

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am incredibly happy that I finally have the space for a bean animal overflow. Absolutely dead silent. Full siphon drains are the way to go.

Did make a small mistake when plumbing and made the standpipes too short, which caused a tremendous amount of noise. Redoing it is nearly impossible now, so I placed a bunch of blue filter sponges underneath the weir. Dead silent again and easily removed to rinse the stuff out if you're worried about detritus.
I can’t get my “bean animal” overflow to be silent for some reason

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried 10 ppi "sponge" but it's not good enough. Going to get 20ppi, which should work and still open enough for me to be confident on a day-to-day basis, but would remove if I'm away for any length of time.

I'm also thinking about gluing in a very small piece of plastic on the inside of the wet-side weir to act as a "ramp". That might help too.
I even thought about building up the outside box another inch so I can raise the water level. Might go that route if this new pump I get doesn't work.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HOB overflow. Noisy out of the box but once I made a Stockman Standpipe for it quieted it down drastically. The only sound I hear now is the faint sound of the water that trickles down the drain pipe and you really have to listen for it otherwise it's unnoticeable. My tank needed to be silent, it's near where I watch TV.

Hp1836

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single drain 1 inch pvc that is completely vertical and surprisingly is completly silent. My return pump and skimmer are both on sound dampening mats. The only time I have any sound is when the water level in the return pump chamber drops due to the 2 baffles that feed into it. I like it though as it tells me when to add top off water.

Tmrvstyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard oceanic overflow, it is quiet, however, the sump is loud, but I knew it would be and don't care it's plumbed through the wall into the garage.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am incredibly happy that I finally have the space for a bean animal overflow. Absolutely dead silent. Full siphon drains are the way to go.

Did make a small mistake when plumbing and made the standpipes too short, which caused a tremendous amount of noise. Redoing it is nearly impossible now, so I placed a bunch of blue filter sponges underneath the weir. Dead silent again and easily removed to rinse the stuff out if you're worried about detritus.
Why is it impossible? Could you not make the pipe longer with a connector?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a pair of H2Overflows... they were fine, but honestly, not great quality for what you're paying. Anyway, I wanted to lower the water level in the display a bit (rimless tank, couldn't keep from splashing when cleaning). Picked up a pair of 2" street L's and a pair of 2" low profile strainers to keep the snails out. Achieved my desired water level, and the plain 'ol PVC parts aren't any louder than the H2Overflows were. IMHO, the PVC looks better, though I wish I could have found some black PVC street L's. No big deal, coraline well on it's way to making it a moot point already.

So, cheap PVC overflows, bulkheads through the back glass (peninsula setup), 3" of horizontal 2" pipe to another pair of bulkheads, into a homemade acrylic external overflow box. Standard BeAnAnimal setup from there, dropping about 18" to the sump. Gate valve on the full siphon drain. No problems, no noise. Can handle higher volume than I want passing through the sump... When I first set this system up, I intended to go with the Triton system. 10x turnover target... I figured 1500 gph, and bought a pump to that spec. I'm running it now at about half power, maybe 700 gph. Plenty of flow through the sump.

Had the plumbing routed to the 'proper' holes in my sump, and found they were constantly in my way. Maybe doesn't look as nice and finished, but it works well.

Neptune auto feeder is the loudest piece of equipment I currently own. Works great, easy setup, easy maintenance, fish _love_ getting fed on a schedule... but the durned thing is loud.

UnderwaterOverflow.jpg

TopViewOverflow.jpg

ExtOverflow.jpg
I'm digging those strainers. Very nice!

Robert Riccio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow is noisy because the drop is a few inches. But i like it that way. For some reason that sound is soothing to me. It also quickly alerts me when something is wrong because it gets too quiet. In fact, just this past weekend when the Energy Bar 832 outlets all failed, I noticed it immediately.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can raise the level in the inside box by raising the drain pipes in the outer box. Or just put a sponge in the inner box.
Yes, I'm all the way up. hesitant on the sponge... Any other ideas welcome

Iverson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 32 with some In-Tank baskets in the sump on the back. Water falling from the overflow fiber filter onto a carbon bag below is loud. I once saw a guy solve this by stuffing that space with something that looked a lot like that old plastic green Easter nest material. It worked then. The water went from crashing to flowing down all the fibers. I think I'll solve my problem by raising my water level, but I'm wondering if anyone has used anything like that.?.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Modular Marine 1600GPH overflow with a bean animal system and it is dead silent. I think the noise from my system comes from either my skimmer or my MP Quiet Drives. I love the fact that my gate valve is owed the credit for the controllability of the flow.

And I love the feature of the modular marine wier where it is too thin to allow snails to get in to it, and I also has a cover on it, so its nice to know that I don't have worry about clogs like that in the system

Thanks,

Barnabie

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back