Is your overflow noisy and how can you "dampen" the sound?

Do you think your current overflow is too noisy?

• Yes

Votes: 178 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 298 51.2%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 98 16.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.4%

• Total voters

natinirv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed an Eshopps Eclipse M and it is INCREDIBLY noisy!! Not the dry-side box.. the wet side weir box. It's just a constant trickle. It's too deep or something. I've done everything I can think of, but can't stop the noise with out a sponge - which is less than ideal.

Anyone have the same problem? i emailed the company and they directed me to Youtube to some guy making his own standpipe. What a JOKE!
Same exact issue.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like what I've been dealing with. I assumed the noise was where the water falls into the sump but now I'm wondering if doing the Herbie method would fix it. Would it?

It's a constant gurgling with a "whoosh" that comes in waves. I admit, I do like the noise. It's soothing and if the house is dead quiet I know something's wrong with the tank immediately, but a little quieter would be lovely. ;Happy
This is the pipe building a full syphon, then it getting broke as the water drops in the box.
Trust me you and your family will much prefer the silent to near silence from fixing this !

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same exact issue.
Wouldn't adjusting to emergency and secondary pipes to close to the bottom of the weir teeth, and using a valve to raise the water level to the too of the secondary pipe solve this issue?
That works on every other overflow box I've ever worked on

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank came with a Durso overflow that was pretty noisy. I thought my return pump was silent then I switched to a Herbie overflow which is dead silent, now I realize my return pump is not silent. :( Herbie overflow is an easy and inexpensive way to stop a noisy Durso overflow.

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't adjusting to emergency and secondary pipes to close to the bottom of the weir teeth, and using a valve to raise the water level to the too of the secondary pipe solve this issue?
That works on every other overflow box I've ever worked on
I wish. I've tuned it so that the water level is 1mm below the emergency standpipe... still loud. I've tuned it so the water is slowly overflowing into the emergency standpipe - still loud. I've raised the emergency standpipe as high as possible so that the water level is almost overflowing the box onto the floor... still loud.

Bad design

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend @Strezlec-AR has a 3D printed overflow that does gurgle a little bit. To combat this I just cut a small section of course filter foam and put it in the pipe to even out the flow. And since I have multiple tanks in my room I’ve gotton good about making everything as silent as possible. A way for air to get into the pipe such as an airline tube might be better for every overflow so there’s not a constant siphon. But I will say that the sound of flowing water is quite calming without gurgling.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I do is make sure the water flows smoothly from one place to another. Falling water is noisy.
Full siphon drains are quiet. Drains with a trickle that run down the inside of the pipe are quiet.
Weirs where the tank water level falls only 3/4 of an inch to the level inside the box are quiet.
Just checked my anti siphon drain. I cut the pipe a little to short. I have it maxed out, and just an annoying trickle noise that makes me want to pee lol

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to all the plumbing needs of a sump. I have no advice as my overflow gurgles here and there. Sound of trickling water is over powered by my sump pump, another overly noise making piece.

So, upgrade to a quiet pump, look into hard plumbing. I got things to do.
I was watching a video by a guy that disappeared steelcity something. He always
20210306_075912.jpg
did flexible tubing,. Not so much for noise, but to decrease flow restrictions. I did hard pipe, but no noise in sump

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching a video by a guy that disappeared steelcity something. He always
20210306_075912.jpg
did flexible tubing,. Not so much for noise, but to decrease flow restrictions. I did hard pipe, but no noise in sump
Notice the valves. two allow me to shut off the pump flow for sump maintenance with no fear of any accidental overflow. The others were a plan of mine to do easier water changes from below, instead of the main tank. I haven't tried that yet due to the fact that big water changes are not necessary yet.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealing with this issue right now. I have Eclipse L Overflow Box (1000 GPH) on my 120gal and the drop from weir to the box is to high. Moved water up to almost dangerous level and still noise. At the moment waiting on another pump I can adjust the return down because I think what I have installed is pushing around 1300gph at the tank and to much for this overflow.
I have a vectre absolutely beautiful pump

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only noise I have is from the overflow. Low trickling noise. I insulated the sump area in the beginning. Could still hear noise, from it, and my wife as there was a huge waterfall from the first section. I was using someone's idea from this forum only to stop algae growth in the skimmer, and other sections to ease maintenance, and performance. While I was experimenting I fell into a perfect solution. The material you will see is cheap shoe trays that I cut up. I found that if I raised the level of it. It resulted in a softer flow. Also it flows around the barrier in a trickle rather than fullover.
IMGP1053.JPG
IMGP1054.JPG

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish. I've tuned it so that the water level is 1mm below the emergency standpipe... still loud. I've tuned it so the water is slowly overflowing into the emergency standpipe - still loud. I've raised the emergency standpipe as high as possible so that the water level is almost overflowing the box onto the floor... still loud.

Bad design
So what is causing the noise? If the water in the first box is near the tanks water level, and the secondary box water level is slightly lower then that, where is the noise being created?

nmqtrhrse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RedSea 250. I personally like the sound of water but it can be a bit irritating if too much is going thru the overflow. I just kept dialing it in until the sound pretty much is non existent.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back