Is your overflow noisy and how can you "dampen" the sound?

Do you think your current overflow is too noisy?

• Yes

Votes: 178 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 298 51.2%
  • Somewhat

Votes: 98 16.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.4%

• Total voters

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valves on each pipe into the sump to make adjustments, vent pipe higher than my water line in the tank with an adjustable nozzle, and synergy reef silencers for the socks, when I run them. Nice and quiet. Ran with previous setup and different sump for two years. Had plenty of time to think about what I would do differently when I upgraded my sump. Sump upgraded and improvements made. Very happy.

natinirv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't adjusting to emergency and secondary pipes to close to the bottom of the weir teeth, and using a valve to raise the water level to the too of the secondary pipe solve this issue?
That works on every other overflow box I've ever worked on
The issue is the drop immediately behind the weir in the front box in the tank. The height from the weir to the hole in the back of the tank is too high. I would like to drop the weir lower, but it is not adjustable. Would modifying the weir help, drill out some lower openings?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is the drop immediately behind the weir in the front box in the tank. The height from the weir to the hole in the back of the tank is too high. I would like to drop the weir lower, but it is not adjustable. Would modifying the weir help, drill out some lower openings?
So feel water level is to low in the weir, slowing down the water flow, should solve that. Do you have a valve on the main drain? Which would allow the water height in the second chamber to be raised? May need to adjust the height of the secondary drain pipe(s) to raise wTer level.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small sweet spot between a noise free overflow and a gurgling giant. A lot came down to the flow rate and height of my stand pipes but without the gate valve, I would never be able to achieve the full siphon that keeps the gurgling out.
What worked for me was to have zero standpipe in my main drain, then a very tall standpipe for my back up drains. This allowed me to increase the flow rate to raise the water level in my overflow. Doing that made the waterline high enough in my overflow, so that the main drain (full siphon) could no longer suck down air.
i

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer XL 425. The Red Sea diaphragm valve on the overflow pipe required adjustment several times per day and would never maintain a steady water level in my overflow for more than a few hours. It drove me crazy for nearly 3 years. I just recently replaced the Red Sea sump with a new Trigger Platinum sump with integrated roller mat, and rebuilt all the plumbing including a gate valve to replace the diaphragm valve. This setup is now dead silent! I couldn’t be happier.

E0DC31E3-9E77-493D-9A45-4B9D8792344B.jpeg
Beautiful

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small sweet spot between a noise free overflow and a gurgling giant. A lot came down to the flow rate and height of my stand pipes but without the gate valve, I would never be able to achieve the full siphon that keeps the gurgling out.
What worked for me was to have zero standpipe in my main drain, then a very tall standpipe for my back up drains. This allowed me to increase the flow rate to raise the water level in my overflow. Doing that made the waterline high enough in my overflow, so that the main drain (full siphon) could no longer suck down air.
i
This is exactly how mine works, only I have a valve on the main drain pipe, so I can restrict the syphon flow on it to adjust the water level in the overflow box. I also have 2 dcp20000 return pumps that run around 45%flow rate each. Having 2 inch drain pipes allows the water to drain out of the box super fast unless I restrict it with a valve. Slight tweeking of each pumps flow rate along with the valve allows me to have approximately 7 thousand gallons an hr flowing through my sump and do so near silently. The outlet on the drain is the noises point.

spd3001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular Marine with a Bean Animal setup. It takes some tuning but silent except for a very slight trickle sound down the secondary. I have a basement sump with a couple of near horizontal runs so I think that is unavoidable.

I was getting some slight gurgle with water falling into the overflow box from the weir box. Adjusting the gate valve couldn't stop it. I recently fixed that by making the secondary pipe higher. The secondary needs to be high enough that the level in the box is the same as what the tank, weir is running . Now it's silent. I can hear the Iwaki cranking away in the basement more than anything.
Could you give us a picture?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My eshopps overflows gurgled in spite of my adjusting the valves and multiple attempts at fashioning homemade silencers.

Finally I hit upon the idea of running a length of stiffer airline down the main drain as a breather tube and was able to stop it. I just experimented moving it up and down and adjusting the flow valves until I was able to silence it. Then I cut off the airline where it terminates inside the box above the level of the emergency drain.

The airline actually extends through the valves so I can no longer shut them off completely without pulling the airline back out a bit. But I never shut them off anyway, so it's not really an issue.

Sunshineincolorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gurgling noise? Water falling sounds? Is your overflow too loud? I know many of us have struggled with our tank overflow being a little more noisy than we would like. Depending on where your tank is located a loud overflow can present a pretty frustrating experience for all involved. So let's talk about it today!

1. Do you think your current overflow is too noisy?

2. What are some tips and tricks to cutting down on a noisy overflow?

image via @FireEMT
120gBuildRearView_zps051ab4a6.jpg
My sump is so large I couldn't put it under the tank. I built a separate cabinet for the sump. I put sound board inside this cabinet. I do not hear a thing. It is great!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too! Brand new Eshopps Eclipse M
try my solution for your Eshopps M the egg crate should fit into the interior box. if not try cross stitch fabric. it is plastic and should do the same job of breaking the waterfall into a steep fall where the water is constantly in contact so does not splash on hitting the top of the water.

Attachments

• IMG_2653.jpeg
    IMG_2653.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2654.jpeg
    IMG_2654.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 33

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try my solution for your Eshopps M the egg crate should fit into the interior box. if not try cross stitch fabric. it is plastic and should do the same job of breaking the waterfall into a steep fall where the water is constantly in contact so does not splash on hitting the top of the water.
YES!! Why didn’t I think of that?!? I’ll try it!
Thanks

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not noisy since you can plumb tanks to be silent and with multiple drains and a gate valve. A noisy overflow is probably a poorly designed one. You know… like the Red Sea one with the crappy valve.:p Then those stands that failed and you see the price tag…

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

chadfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not noisy since you can plumb tanks to be silent and with multiple drains and a gate valve. A noisy overflow is probably a poorly designed one. You know… like the Red Sea one with the crappy valve.:p Then those stands that failed and you see the price tag…

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

Some of us tune the overflow perfectly just to find out that the wet-side overflow box gurgles loudly

dmarott1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gurgling noise? Water falling sounds? Is your overflow too loud? I know many of us have struggled with our tank overflow being a little more noisy than we would like. Depending on where your tank is located a loud overflow can present a pretty frustrating experience for all involved. So let's talk about it today!

1. Do you think your current overflow is too noisy?

2. What are some tips and tricks to cutting down on a noisy overflow?

image via @FireEMT
120gBuildRearView_zps051ab4a6.jpg
I admire the design and the fact that you have tried this and it works. However being a fairly new to this hobby is it possible to get further details of the layout? Like water flow direction, where do the socks go etc etc. Would really appreciate the guidance.

tjcmtnbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ha! Tried this and it is now quite with the only noise the hum of the pump /skimmer! Thanks for the idea!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back