Is your protein skimmer working like it should? How do you know?

What do you look for when making sure your skimmer is working correctly?

• Amount of skimmate

Votes: 249 46.0%
  • Dark Skimmate

Votes: 342 63.2%
  • Light Skimmate

Votes: 18 3.3%
  • Dry Skimmate

Votes: 60 11.1%
  • Wet Skimmate

Votes: 54 10.0%
  • Low Nutrient Levels

Votes: 73 13.5%
  • Low Nuisance Algae

Votes: 50 9.2%
  • Algae on the glass

Votes: 28 5.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • I don't run a skimmer

Votes: 60 11.1%

• Total voters

CPC Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone has any questions on skimmers. Go to the Lifereef website. I have had quite a few skimmers over time. I Purchased the LifeReef SVS3-36 internal for my new 350 gal along with a 60 gal. Lifereef sump, reactor, fuge and ATO about a year ago. Best piece of equipment on my tank. It produces the way a skimmer is suppose to. Very easy to adjust to however you prefer your skimmate. All the pieces were custom built to my specs and was much cheaper then getting a product that is mass produced. For my next build I will be going this same route without question.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a tunze 9001 skimmer. I don't care for it because it skims wet. I've tried tuning it in for a year, placing at water level mark, 1/2 below, air intake almost totally closed, 1/3 closed, 1/4 closed etc. I wouldn't buy one again and if I wasn't running an Intank media basket I'd put the stock red sea skimmer back in.

GotCrabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used them years ago..I no longer use them, I'm on minimal filtration and utilize water changes..A more natural way is much cheaper and more balanced for me, I have more success this way then me always trying to add and tweak things
4CA2F944-446D-4DCB-9BB7-1B133E2084E0.jpeg
I'm moving away from water changes and relying heavily on the skimmer and chaeto. I'm trying to get my system as hands off as possible while being stable.

I really would love some input on this question...
Why is everyone so concerned about tweaking and adjusting their skimmer? I don't mean that in a negative way. It's just not not been my experience.

I've also seen plenty of videos and reading it just never convinced me I need to try something different.

If stuff is coming out the top...it's working. That's my angle. (My complaint is the constant need to change the needle wheel. Thanks expensive.)

I'll admit I purchased all my equipment used many years ago. Name of skimmer escapes me at the moment.

Would love any comments. Thank you.

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you. If my skimmate in the reservoir is filling at a steady predictable rate, I know things are cool. I have issues with my older Red Sea with finding that setting that results in just a constant daily amount of skimmate. Its either not enough, or with a slight twitch of the setting I get an overflow and recontaminate my entire tank. I do not have that issue with my Aquamaxx.
Which Aquamaxx are you using, and which Red Sea tank? I just bought a WS-1 for my Red Sea 130. I haven’t put the skimmer in yet, just wondering if I need something under it to keep The whole skimmer at the right level.

SeahawkMom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a tunze 9001 skimmer. I don't care for it because it skims wet. I've tried tuning it in for a year, placing at water level mark, 1/2 below, air intake almost totally closed, 1/3 closed, 1/4 closed etc. I wouldn't buy one again and if I wasn't running an Intank media basket I'd put the stock red sea skimmer back in.
I’m in the same boat. I just bought the Aquamaxx WS-1 for my Red Sea Max 130. Haven’t put it in yet, but a few other folks said it works great. Hoping this is a good replacement for the 9001. Otherwise I’ll have to go back to the Red Sea skimmer (which pulled lots of gunk out), and not use the InTank Media stand. :(

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back