Is your tank a joy or a chore? How to keep it fun!

Your saltwater reef tank is...

• Is all fun

Votes: 194 31.2%
  • Is all a chore

Votes: 22 3.5%
  • Is between fun and work for you

Votes: 392 63.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 13 2.1%

• Total voters

mjh712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still less than <5 months in, so it's a lot of up and down. Really just trying to find a better way to do water changes & figuring each hurdle out. My pH & alk keep dropping, so I'm going to start experimenting with Kalkwasser now that I'm back from my 10 day vacation.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "is all fun"
in a relationship, everything is new and exciting at first. there are those things that are harder but they are just fun because you are sharing the experience.
I find that the cute things that make the other person unique are amusing. they may become annoying after awhile but so far they aren't.
this is where i am in the hobby. I am in the honeymoon phase where tasks are opportunities of exploration, not drudgery.
Luckily, I am learning and adapting to ways of making the day-to-day easier and more enjoyable.
I am also more tolerant and giving in this relationship than i may have been in others I have had.
Okay, i admit it is "SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!" yeah i'm gonna stop there...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Like a motorcycle, airplane and even a home, you get out of it - what you put into it. Do nothing and soon things deteriorate.
With the reef aquarium, the maintenance when done regularly will be limited allowing more time for enjoyment and appreciation.
We as reefers are constantly tweaking things for added enjoyment and sustainability

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone on month three of fighting Dinos, it's become a little depressing. I love all the aspects of the tank, but when those little bubbles start showing up after I've tried another treatment...it hurts my heart :(
Try Stability by seachem… I wasn’t even trying to beat dinos but had a little in the tank… Stability somehow knocked it all out, and that’s not even its purpose. Thought it was a fluke, and tried it on another tank… it worked in that one, too. Who knew? Inexpensive and does more good than harm… worth a shot! Try it out and let us know if it works for you, too

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. When does a reef aquarium hobby become a chore, become work to you?
When any problem is persistent for a long period of time (i.e. not being able to get algae under control in a mature tank).

2. What are some tips for keeping the hobby enjoyable and fun?
First, go slow to minimize the risk of creating new/additional problems. Some problems are inevitable, but many are created, exacerbated, and prolonged by rushing things and cutting corners.Just because some people get lucky when they rush their cycle or skip QT doesn't mean you will. Taking your time will drastically increase the odds of success and it'll always give you something to look forward to.

Next, try to find ways to make the routine things enjoyable. For example, I really don't enjoy preparing water for changes. But I love the beach and live right near the ocean. So I started my latest tank with natural sea water. Instead of making/buying RODI or prepared saltwater, I go to the beach and grab water. It's a good excuse to get out of the house and down to the ocean vs. sitting inside mixing buckets of water (or paying a LFS). That, specifically, isn't an option for everyone, but there are generally ways to make some of the chores a bit more enjoyable.

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm surprised at how many people said it's all fun. Not sure if I should be jealous or skeptical. I mean it certainly isnt fun dipping that $100 coral for the fifth time and having it die anyways. Or siphoning a bunch of nuisance algae just to do it all again next week. Not to say it isnt worth it but "all fun"?? Come on now...

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a money pit? Is that an option? I don't mind the maintenance. I just had my reeflo return pump die on me as of last night. Thankfully I had a spare on my water change station and swapped it out last night. However, today I woke up to puddles of water all over, so I don't know if the pump is leaking or if there's something else wrong. :(

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two systems before this one had sand and all the things that go with sand . To me cleaning the substaight was work .
Now I am going bare bottom. And so far I like it . Once every two weeks I clean filter, ATS ,and change carbon in my reactor. Some times I clean filter every week but thats not bad . And once every 2 weeks I hook up the RODI and get 10 gallons ready for the next two weeks . I am at three quarters teaspoon reef builder a day anb calcium 2 times a week magnesium once every two weeks.

bkhunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chore - today is day 3 fallow - had to remove all rock and almost all of the water to catch the fish. Most people like stacking the rock but i find it stress full - is it going to fall, did I leave enough room for large corals (nope), can i still reach in and get access to clean. Stress putting the corals back in are they getting enough light or flow, am I going to break them, did I mount them securely enough. I was stressed how the fish were going to do being dumped into the qt tank, all did good.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose Other...
None of my tanks are ever a chore but they sure can bring a lot of heart break when something dies. I've been in freshwater for years and saltwater for about 6 weeks. It's been going well so far but it has been stressful. The timing of getting my first inhabitants (goby/shrimp pair) coincided with cycling my tank so that wasn't optimal. Constant water changes and dosing Prime and praying I didn't lose them. Thankfully they're still healthy and it's pure joy to see them take a stroll around the tank together. Capturing these moments of a watery world that sometimes seems so alien is always a wonder. Now I'm praying I don't encounter the ugly phase. I hope going really slow might allow me to sidestep that part.

If you're new to saltwater then listen to the experts and go slow which is hard when all you want to do is add livestock to your tank. I'm trying hard to resist the urge to add corals. :) Also, research, research, research anything new that you're thinking of adding to your tank.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted fun and work, but now that I think on it a bit I'm not sure I'd ever consider my efforts a chore or work. But it isn't all fun either.

I find it deeply satisfying now to look at my tank now after 2+ years and see a moderately successful (although far from perfect) reef. I've earned that feeling and I doubt I'd be as satisfied without the considerable effort I've put in seeing my tank through all the issues. It's never fun going through dinos, GHA, fish and coral losses. But I knew going in that a fair measure of frustration is part of the hobby.

I also doubt I'd still be here if I hadn't adjusted my initial goals - from LPS/SPS mixed to soft coral dominant with some easy LPS. I'm still not sure why I couldn't grow SPS, but the key here is that I wasn't enjoying the struggle (as some do) to figure it out. The important part for me was being successful with a reef tank with the level of effort and expense I was willing to put in. For others, obviously success is measured differently.

So for long term enjoyment, my advice is to keep your expectations of success reasonable and in line with the level of effort you're willing to put in. If those aren't lining up, then don't be afraid to make some changes. Expect issues and be prepared to deal with them (and deal with them again).

PS. Except for cable management. That's work and a chore and not fun at all. :)

REEFTIDE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna lie here, after working a 70 hr week doing a water change just does not seem appealing lol my personal tank has fallen into enough neglect lately that everything may be moved into the shop tanks.

I need to higher my own service tech to maintain my tank LOL but he might charge me more than the average customer

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it’s maintenance to me it’s work. Changing socks, vacuuming sand, and water changes. Mixing Salt.

setting up and building out is totally fun.
Adding corals fun.
I’m a nerd so I like testing. It’s not fun but it’s not work. I hand dose for “fun” ish. I just like calculating my own doses based on recent test results. My tanks still getting up and running so there’s various swings weekly due to additions and other things. So I kind of like the testing dosing combo currently it’s like a math test lol. And it feels good when I get the answers right.

Automate the things you don’t like.

my next build will include a fleece roller, and a calcium reactor.

so now basically… I… have to…. Feed?

oh and I guess vacuum my sand…

And I mean no one really skips doing that for a month or so, sometimes…. ;-)

Bare bottoms anyone?

fowler279

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
being fairly new to this for the most part for me its been all fun. Watching things grow and learning something new along the way. Thats one thing this hobby doesnt lack is that you continue to learn new things day after day.

Then there are times when life gets in the way and you need to do something with your tank. Trying to scramble to do a water change or testing then it becomes a little bit of a chore. Or maybe when your sick and not feeling like it it becomes that way a little as well. But as most things you push through and it becomes fun again.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe if I ever start seeing my reef as an obligation, that day the fun would have finish and I could not keep it anymore.

i enjoy the planning, the adjustments even the issues and of course watching it with a drink.

Back