Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1986.JPG

FTS while I close the day. I had to rearrange stuff a bit too possibly open up flow - possibly more that I didn't like the layout. Changed GFO to BRS high capacity GFO. Also replaced carbon.

And finally dosed 50mls of WasteAway.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I took a high speed video of my Goniopora. I wanted to see if it's actually grabbing food from the water column. All flow is off. Coral Frenzy is suspended and floating around.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that I wake every morning to a clean sandbed. Thanks to my Diamond Goby.

IMG_2198.JPG
Hi Isaac... I just signed up to this forum. Recently purchased the Cad lights artisan II 70g and cycling it now. Just want to thank you for your thread and time producing it. It has helped me a great deal. Your tank is amazing. Very good work. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Isaac... I just signed up to this forum. Recently purchased the Cad lights artisan II 70g and cycling it now. Just want to thank you for your thread and time producing it. It has helped me a great deal. Your tank is amazing. Very good work. Thanks again!

Thank you Mal11224! It's been a wonderful experience.

Here's a full tank shot from yesterday. I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to keep this journal up to date.

fd96c40a3e93f87154b1f94982ebdf6a.jpg

You'll notice it's mostly a softy tank.

61ed0c4b1db943dbe7a92678810194df.jpg
d24da61102416c5a0e384df0992035c2.jpg

I've beaten the white slime bacteria. The Dr. Tim's pushed it back. Then moving to NOPOX has proved effective. The slime is eradicated.

My current sadness is the flower pot Coral I purchased a while ago has slowly declined. My theory, from observing, is my Yellow Eye Kole Tang nips a polyp every day when she zips by. I dose Red Sea Reef Energy A/B and NOPOX and this has proved effective at bringing my Monti Caps back as well feeding my Euphylias and Zoas. The Goni is slowly deteriorating. I do know it's the more difficult of the Gonis.

e9cf740ecddd1e17228df686f0c7e20f.jpg

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Isaac, your tank looks great. I finally cycled mine and added some fish to it. I'll be looking to add corals very soon. Want to be sure I can maintain the proper levels for the reef foundation. Thinking about a mixed reef system with mostly SPS type. I do want a few softies for the bottom. I understand that they grow quickly and can sting other corals if they are too close. I'll be using the refugium portion of the sump as well, which should help balance the Ph and keep the nitrates low. I have a few LFS near me where I will look for corals but some online sites are intriguing as well. They offer some nice packages. It's exciting to say the least. You may want to check your flow near some of your corals. May be affecting the goniopora. I know feeding them can be tough as well. They need the nutrients that we try so hard to remove from the tank. :)
Wish I had more experience to offer better advice.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not black. I put a a wood veneer on the front and top so that I could stain and distress the front and top with a dark walnut finish. The pictures are darker than they actually are. Why did I do this?...

Two reasons:
1) To keep my wife happy I'm hiding as much of the secondary equipment as possible. And do it in plain site.

2) I didn't want the stand and tank to lose symmetry. So by breaking the color the stand still appears as was intended rather than have a parasitic growth attached to one side. So now there this brown cabinet on one side and a tall glass vase on the other... (my ATO).

:)

Peter Hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not black. I put a a wood veneer on the front and top so that I could stain and distress the front and top with a dark walnut finish. The pictures are darker than they actually are. Why did I do this?...

Two reasons:
1) To keep my wife happy I'm hiding as much of the secondary equipment as possible. And do it in plain site.

2) I didn't want the stand and tank to lose symmetry. So by breaking the color the stand still appears as was intended rather than have a parasitic growth attached to one side. So now there this brown cabinet on one side and a tall glass vase on the other... (my ATO).

:)
Well you did a fantastic job ...

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you consider a manifold to hook up other equipment (reactors)? I can't wait to set my tank up
01ceb9a8c74088f2aeff1a8dad3c40d7.jpg

I did consider it. I even added a small .5" line from the return to power a reactor. But I realized that I want independent control of the reactor pump...and, I would need to reconfigure the check valve position.

So, currently, I have a cobalt pump pushing GFO and carbon reactors. I use the .5" return to just add extra flow and surface agitation in the fuge area. At some point, I want it to run to a small 5 gallon display refugium that will be mounted on the wall.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral Snow once or twice a month to really clear up the water and give the LPS a treat. I never use the full dose, only 1.5ml.

But I do love watching the misty appearance it gives the tank.

d6dfe7979b1f6cff0956eb845eaff0c1.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did consider it. I even added a small .5" line from the return to power a reactor. But I realized that I want independent control of the reactor pump...and, I would need to reconfigure the check valve position.

So, currently, I have a cobalt pump pushing GFO and carbon reactors. I use the .5" return to just add extra flow and surface agitation in the fuge area. At some point, I want it to run to a small 5 gallon display refugium that will be mounted on the wall.

I am going to try and make a complete manifold but I am not sure if it will work out

mainfold.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back