OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. My galaxy Corals do very well. This one was one of my first corals. He's gotten bigger and loves to extend his sweepers.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters as of two days ago:

5bfa3d6aa92973e3dbe92721fd3bfd3a.png

NOPOX has floored my phosphates to 0. Nitrates are still >50ppm.

Slowly dropping my Alk Dose. That is too high for me.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity is slowly coming down. It's now at 12.9dKH via the Hanna Marine dKH checker.

9f468dc915fc819a425c3481323f56c0.jpg

So in 3 days and with adjusting the dosing time I'm down less than 0.0001%. I'll hold this dosing amount and see where it stabilizes.

Note to self: always note in Fusion how much I'm dosing. I adjusted the dosing time by half the seconds in the osc code.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up'd my Red Sea NoPox to 8ml per day starting today. 4 in the morning and 4 at night.

I have no algae issues,. phosphates measure zero on hanna checker, but No3 is still clocking at somewhere in 80ppm range on both RedSea and Salifert tests. I have a ton of sponges and feather worms.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up'd my Red Sea NoPox to 8ml per day starting today. 4 in the morning and 4 at night.

I have no algae issues,. phosphates measure zero on hanna checker, but No3 is still clocking at somewhere in 80ppm range on both RedSea and Salifert tests. I have a ton of sponges and feather worms.
May need to cut back on the feedings. Have to be careful not to over do it with the NOPOX. Your reactor can cut phosphates down Nicely if you are using GFO. your fuge should help a lot with the nitrates as long as it has a good amount of macro algae.
My phosphates are usually 0.00 with my Hanna test and nitrates around 10-25 ppm. I am still not running my skimmer. The fuge seems to be handling most of the nutrient load. I have NOPOX but only used it once. I use a sock and have marine pure and live rocks in the 2nd chamber of the sump. I also use a max flow rate on my return pump, which keeps the flow in the sump moving very well. Getting nice coralline growth with my added dosing regimen. So, with 10 fish, 3 snails, 2 shrimp and more than 30 mixed corals, all is looking good. I've even had a coral bleach and it is regaining its color. Wish I could get a bigger tank but i need to cool my boots and work with this one for a while.
How often do you do a water change? I try to do mine every 7-10 days. 15 gal each time. May reduce it to 10 gal.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight was my first time going to the SCMAS meeting. It was totally enjoyable and fun.

Even at my introduction to the group I was able to share my challenges with high Nitrates. They all chimed in with the same guidance : Take off the GFO and let the PO4 and NO3 balance out. I had a great experience. Steve Garret was awesome. The MC was funny and informative. I became a paying member right away.

And the raffle prizes were unreal.

Will be a regular participant.

6342b28d079a3fbb0c40bc37c3b72c8d.jpg

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Isaac. Hope all is well. I had a quick question regarding the Neptune Systems Apex controller. How do you like it? I am considering getting one but just wanted to make sure it is worth the money. Ideally, I think it would be worth it when I travel. It sounds like I'm convincing myself to get it but really wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks!!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Isaac. Hope all is well. I had a quick question regarding the Neptune Systems Apex controller. How do you like it? I am considering getting one but just wanted to make sure it is worth the money. Ideally, I think it would be worth it when I travel. It sounds like I'm convincing myself to get it but really wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks!!

Having the setup for close to a year now I cant imagine ever running a reef tank without a controller. And the APEX, with its superb cloud integration, and all of Neptune's solid hardware support and broad community participation is worth every penny.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the setup for close to a year now I cant imagine ever running a reef tank without a controller. And the APEX, with its superb cloud integration, and all of Neptune's solid hardware support and broad community participation is worth every penny.
Thanks for the quick response and recommendation.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love watching my Bubbles.

She's a champ. Almost a year with us now. She was chewed up very badly by a Vortech just a few weeks into getting her. We thought she would die, but she came back with a lot of care. She's grown a lot since. What's interesting is that she has a long deformed plate where she healed. She's never split, nor has she moved from this great spot.

573fe7d78f568caeebc721667130356e.jpg

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pulled the trigger on a Red Rooster Pygmy Wasp Fish. I've read about them a while ago and I happened to be browsing Diver's Den yesterday when this guy popped up:

dc8d5890368b55eb797c5968fbfea586.png

That's him.

Planning a little cave build today to include in the main display. And getting a QT setup.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way. I did get the neptunes system. Apex fusion is great. You were right. ORP takes a long time to adjust but it does get there. I am having fun with it. Programming is not too bad. Should feel at ease when I go on vacation.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. What does it eat?
Morning @Mal11224 it's a carnivore. It eats frozen foods. I plan on Rod's and LRS. I have several long feeder tongs I'll use to puppet show the food. If for some reason, it doesn't eat the prepared food, then my local feed store has ghost shrimp. But I rather not do that. This dude is tiny, and everything in my tank is bigger, so I just need to make sure it knows how to eat aggressively. But I don't want it to hunt my peppermint shrimp...who is excellent at wiping my tank of apitasia.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning @Mal11224 it's a carnivore. It eats frozen foods. I plan on Rod's and LRS. I have several long feeder tongs I'll use to puppet show the food. If for some reason, it doesn't eat the prepared food, then my local feed store has ghost shrimp. But I rather not do that. This dude is tiny, and everything in my tank is bigger, so I just need to make sure it knows how to eat aggressively. But I don't want it to hunt my peppermint shrimp...who is excellent at wiping my tank of apitasia.
It is a georgeous fish. LRS is great even my shrimp eat that stuff. I'm starting to see aiptasia on my zoas but that's it. I use elimi-aiptas from tropic marine and it works good. Hopefully it can manage to get some food from the other fish. I have a trigger who is somewhat aggressive but the fox face and tang keep him in check. When I put seaweed in the tank, it's like a massacre in there. So I use two clips. It helps but it appears that they rather challenge each other for the same piece. Lol.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That waspfish will make an interesting addition! Be sure to snap some pics when he comes in!

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pics of wasp fish yet. I was too worried about handling the little beast that I didn't worry about the phone camera.

Of course the first thing he does is burrow deep into a dark cave. But he did take one piece of shrimp.

I'll video and photo as soon as he shows himself.

I need to take pics of the packaging from Diver's Den. The label on the six bags they put him had a large WARNING: VENOMOUS label. The packaging seemed extra durable.... Then this cute little thing pops out.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back