Isabella's little ocean ^_^ 90 gal mixed

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by Isabella rubalcaba, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Isabella rubalcaba

Isabella rubalcaba Member

IMG_6123.JPG Hey there ! You have stumbled upon my little-big reef tank !! Going to describe my setup & share some tips ALSO looking to get some thoughts/opinions/comments going ! Here it is ! Will post some pics soon. Also, i do run a SUMPLESS system ! I know the drawbacks of going sumpless, but i cant afford one & am on a budget ! So thought i'd share this for all you budget reefers !! Lol
    • 90 gallon glass tank
    • Fluval Fx4 canister filter
    • HOB 10 gallon refugium with macros
    • reef octopus bh-1000 protien skimmer
    • aquamaxx medium media reactor
    • mixed reef
    • some tangs, fire fish, clams, frags, pipefish & ALOT more !!!
    • inch thick sand bed
    • 10-15% weekly water changes a MUST for sumpless systems to avoid your canister filter becoming a NITRATE FACTORY lol !
    Comments ? Opinions ? Again will post pics in a sec still kinda new to this !

IMG_6125.JPG

IMG_6126.JPG

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    HolisticBear and chefjpaul like this.

2. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

Looking good Girl.

FYI, with 10 to 15% water changes a week you doing your tank a good deed but clean that canister as well on weekly schedule as it is justva mechenical filter and will turn into a Po4 bomb if you don't.

Isabella rubalcaba likes this.
  3. Isabella rubalcaba

Thanks for the heads up ! I actually clean it out weekly two days after the water change, sure its a high maintence cost but it becomes a routine ! Plus my fish are happy !

Diesel likes this.
  4. Diesel

Diesel String Stalker. R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2018

I knew you would ;Happy

5. Mikeinthekeys

Mikeinthekeys Member

Awesome tank Isabella. Sumps are so over rated and take up so much space. HOB, and canisters are the way to go. I used to run one HOB filter and one HOB protein skimmer, but to streamline my tank I removed the protein skimmer and replaced both filters with a larger HOB. Everybody seems to be happy. Also what kind of lights do you have there?

6. Isabella rubalcaba

I hear ya ! While sumps do suit certain set ups, im not too sure why people look down in HOB ?? I mean you save some cash, everything fits better & alot easier to handle ! I currently have a 36 inch fluval marine 2.0 LED .. good enough for what i have now, but i do want to upgrade to some kessils soon !!!

7. Mikeinthekeys

Mikeinthekeys Member

If you are in the market for lights, this is just a personal recommendation which I upgraded to recently and am amazed at the quality. Current USA's orbit marine led are awesome. They are very bright and It includes a controller with loads of features and preset lighting schedules. When you get into the custom lighting schedules it gets a little complex but totally worth the customization.

8. Fin

Fin Is it wet yet? R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

welcome-smiley-emoticon.gif to Reef2Reef, Isabella! Nice looking 90! Thanks for sharing.

9. Maximizer

Maximizer Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Nice tank!! How about some more pictures:) I'm always impressed by sumpless tanks

10. Chrisfish

Chrisfish Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2018

Beautiful tank!!:)

Draft saved Draft deleted