ISO black banded cat shark/egg

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy a black banded cat shark. Wanting it to be small 8-12 inches or an egg to hatch in its fresh home. Please let me know !

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria occasionally carries them. Maybe you can ask your LFS to order one in.
Live Aquaria has captive bred Short Tail Nurse Sharks which are pretty dang cool.
I’ve been wanting to set up a shark/ray ‘pond’ for a while now, something around 350-500 gallons.
What kind of tank do you have?

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 48x24x16 lagoon I plan on keeping it in for the first 2 years. When it hits about 21 inches I’ll have a 220 or 280 for it I looked on live aquaria they didn’t have them. The place I did find with them had an 81dollar shipping cost Outrageous

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 48x24x16 lagoon I plan on keeping it in for the first 2 years. When it hits about 21 inches I’ll have a 220 or 280 for it I looked on live aquaria they didn’t have them. The place I did find with them had an 81dollar shipping cost Outrageous

Is it a bare tank with just sand and some rock?
Even banded cat sharks need rounded corners due to their sensitive noses. They also need tons of open space with sand to protect their delicate stomach area.
$80 is pretty standard for shipping something around that size.

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a bare tank with just sand and some rock?
Even banded cat sharks need rounded corners due to their sensitive noses. They also need tons of open space with sand to protect their delicate stomach area.
$80 is pretty standard for shipping something around that size.
Yes like 20-35 lbs of large rock for a bio media. Fine sand and 89 bucks was on an egg Not even the shark I might add in some soft none toxic corals to add a splash of color. But that’s it. I want the baby to be comfortable and feel safe

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, if the $80 shipping is a problem, a 300+ gallon tank will be out of the budget.
The 80 dollar shipping isn’t out of the budget I just think it’s crazy for an egg when corals ship free over 150 bucks I have two 100 gallon systems as it is. And the tank required for a banded cat is 180. But the lagoon tank already has the floor size of a 120.

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 80 dollar shipping isn’t out of the budget I just think it’s crazy for an egg when corals ship free over 150 bucks I have two 100 gallon systems as it is. And the tank required for a banded cat is 180. But the lagoon tank already has the floor size of a 120.

I wouldn’t permanently keep them in anything less than 350 gallons (round). Even that is on the small side.

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t permanently keep them in anything less than 350 gallons (round). Even that is on the small side.
I have to say I would probably agree with that. And honestly if down the road a 400 was out of my question I know sharks are hard to re home so If it came down to it I would sell my beloved reef tank and corals in order to home The animal I chose to get. I’ve looked for smaller sharks but they don’t sell them for aquariums. I have an alligator gar I chose to adopt and I currently keep him in a 750 gallon pond which I hope and pray he never out grows. But if he does I guess I will be digging a new pond ! Before he was in a 120 48x24x24 and at 22 inches he out grew his tank because it was fully scaped. But do to having other fish in the tank I could not take the rock work out to give him the space he needed otherwise I think I could have kept him in it for another 8 months. But the gar grows faster and larger then most aquarium sharks

C815BA1E-8CBC-40DB-A2D2-EA5158E1DD28.jpeg B4F2E3C3-C205-4FAD-94A1-8C396489F08F.jpeg F4A49D39-3113-4840-A861-AC7756B6343C.jpeg

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubbermaid stock tanks are relatively cheap although the tank itself will be the least expensive thing you’d need. Their 300 gallon would be able to house it for a long time.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see...max size 3'6", that's around 42" TL....and with them being what I think are walking benthic sharks....that comes to around 3.5x for length and 1.5x width, so 147"x63". Formula and explanation here. And even if they're an inactive benthic, that's still 3x by 1.5x. So 126"x63"

Do you have space/money for a 12' by 5' pond? And that's not even accounting for the depth of the tank as well....or the feeding costs...

As for the "minimum tank size"....I really feel that LiveAquaria just doesn't do the larger saltwater fish justice, and recommends 180 gallons as a blanket size for them regardless of how large they actually get....

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see...max size 3'6", that's around 42" TL....and with them being what I think are walking benthic sharks....that comes to around 3.5x for length and 1.5x width, so 147"x63". Formula and explanation here. And even if they're an inactive benthic, that's still 3x by 1.5x. So 126"x63"

Do you have space/money for a 12' by 5' pond? And that's not even accounting for the depth of the tank as well....or the feeding costs...

As for the "minimum tank size"....I really feel that LiveAquaria just doesn't do the larger saltwater fish justice, and recommends 180 gallons as a blanket size for them regardless of how large they actually get....
Yes and yes why act like a dick ?

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased mine here, sold out now:

Keep an eye out, and shipping was NOT that much extra depending on size and where you buy.

There is some great books out there, educate yourself (I will bet a lot of the negative comments are from people who have not owned a little shark and are just repeating other people thoughts and options).

They don’t grow that fast (like your Gar comparison). And they don’t swim that much! I get the rounded tank theory, not a requirement. They move small, grow small, and swim little.

Good luck on your journey! I tend not to share to much info in public to avoid the haters. Do your thing and have fun!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and yes why act like a dick ?
Huh. Good to know that that word actually doesn't get screened for as a curse word. Interesting...

Anyways, because not too many people have giant systems for fish. My tone apparently isn't coming off as nicely as I want it to be. I'm mostly concerned for the fish and don't want to sound like a jerk, but hey, words on a screen vs words spoken. End of the day, we're two strangers reading each others words on a screen. IDK what you have, YDK what I have.

OP
OP
fnlyreefready

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have 2 separate 100 gallon systems. I planned to keep him in in a 48x24x16 for the first year while I put a new roof on my garage. During this period I planned on constructing a 5 ft by 10ft by 3.5 ft pond inside of my garage

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 feet still feels kind of small to me. The extra two feet doesn't sound like a lot, but it can be....

I'll try to hunt up my sources and DM you about what I've found.

Back