Isolating male clownfish only as he was attacking new fish

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys. I have a 60 gal reef tank about 18 months old. a mated pair of long tail fancy clownfish we’re the first fish in there. They were very small and now much bigger. Since then I have added a lot of other fish but recently the male has been going after certain new ones, killing a few. I had added 2 flasher wrasse a month or 2 ago and he killed 1 of them. The other he never touched.

So I just added a white tail bristletooth tang about 3 days ago, about 2.5”, and he’s harassing the tang pretty bad. No damage other than a white area on his side, better not be icp. He was quarantined for a month before I got him. the tang is eating but just getting bullied. The female clown doesn’t seem to care, nor do the other fish.

Funny that the clowns were the most peaceful fish I had. Now the dominate and meanest is the dang male clown.

So I’m setting up a small 20 gallon tank and will be putting the male in there for a week or 2 so the tang can get settled.

My concern is, first will this work? Removing the bully so he forgets about the tang and loses his position in the pecking order?

And do I need to remove the female also? I’m worried they will forget about each other and or the female will kill him when I put him back.

Isolate him for 1 or 2 weeks?

thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish aggression can be a tricky thing. Another approach would be to use an acclamation box in the tank. Another thing to consider is if you plan to breed the clowns at some point.

OP
OP
stephanjupillat

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish aggression can be a tricky thing. Another approach would be to use an acclamation box in the tank. Another thing to consider is if you plan to breed the clowns at some point.
For which fish? The tang was in one for a day. No fish bothered it so let it out when lights went off. Was pretty heard catching the male clownfish

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clownfish are known for random aggression toward other fish, corals, your hand, or even a rock so the behavior isn’t unheard of. I would lean toward putting the bully clown fish in the acclimation box, but either the clown or the tang would be acceptable. If possible, keeping both fish in the same tank but separated can help the socialization process but it is not guaranteed. You may have to try it a few times or even rearrange the rock work, but it usually works with patience. However, there is always a chance that you may have to rehome one of the fish. Good luck!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back