OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing research on past threads, it looks like I need to dose interceptor at a ratio of 0.081g / gal or approx. 25 grams in total to effectively kill ispods in my tank. (close to (780x) 32mg tablets. )

Would Cupramine or Copper Power be a better route? If so, at what copper level will it start killing isopods?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not treat a tank with Interceptor or any copper product.....this will "poison" your rock and sand (if you have sand), and be problematic for any inverts for some time.

Remove the fish to a hospital tank, treat the fish, and let the tank sit fish-less for 2 - 4 months.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm expected to upgrade & transfer in a few months with new LR and sand so not too concerned about that. More concerned about treating fish that are currently acting lethargic. FWIW, IME both interceptor and Cupramine can be easily be removed with carbon and water changes even in a system with LR & LS.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other issue, and I can't comment on Interceptor because I don't know, is maintaining therapeutic levels of copper in the presence of rock....some of the copper will bind to the rock, throwing off the dosing regiment.

And yes, expect all inverts to be killed.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not treat a tank with Interceptor or any copper product.....this will "poison" your rock and sand (if you have sand), and be problematic for any inverts for some time.

Remove the fish to a hospital tank, treat the fish, and let the tank sit fish-less for 2 - 4 months.

I agree with @redfishbluefish, best to transfer all fish from the DT and let time do it's thing.

Dosing interceptor, even removing all the rock/ sand and adding new later, residue of the interceptor may remain even with 100% water change. Tank walls, pvc pipe, pumps, coraline algae..... All would need to be cleaned thoroughly before adding inverts.

OP
OP
S

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to relocate all fish to a QT, what can I treat them with? Interceptor is too costly for a QT size big enough to handle all fish. One old reference to Cupramine and isopod in a thread by R. Shimek says copper most likely will kill fish first before killing isopod. Another old RC thread of a member using hypo and Mardel Clout but trying to avoid using anything with Dylox if possible.

AndyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever have any success with the cleaner wrasses?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back