ISSUES IN QT AFTER PRAZIPRO

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed prazipro into my qt made sure there was proper water circulation with wave maker and air bubbler

My yellow tangs appetite has lessened, it still eats but not as much or as fast as it normally would.

Tiny Yellow eyed kole tang In there as well. No aggression between any of the fish that I've seen.

I've treated the system with copper power for a month then left the system un medicated for about 3 weeks and have dosed prazipro 3 days ago.

I have done a big steer up and done a 60% water change that's why the tank looks cloudy and now I'm getting another 60% water change ready just so any contamination/prazi is out of the system completely.

I've had a massive amount of bad luck and lost nearly all of my fish dude to velvet about 4 months ago and this blue tang was a surviver. So any help would be massively appreciated. I do not want to lose this fish or any for that matter

My blue tang disappeared for a couple of hours this morning. I pulled out some decoration in my qt and found it and had a look, discoloration, breathing rapid and laying on its side/swimming on its side.

Heres a video I uploaded I panicked a bit so excuse my bad filming

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to water change, I would increase the aeration a lot more. The liquid used to keep prazi in solution in prazipro fuels bacteria and impacts O2 levels. A lot of folks switch to the powdered version(API general cure) to avoid this issue. I run two airstones full throttle in a 20 gallon, for reference.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PraziPro is known to reduce oxygen and appetite. Dose at 85% of recommnded and add oxygen via airstone and monitor ammonia levels.

OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to water change, I would increase the aeration a lot more. The liquid used to keep prazi in solution in prazipro fuels bacteria and impacts O2 levels. A lot of folks switch to the powdered version(API general cure) to avoid this issue. I run two airstones full throttle in a 20 gallon, for reference.
I didn't do the full dose just under, I have a wave maker, canister filter thats rated for 2x the tank plus all the media that's been cycled for 2 years and an airstone running on a qt that's been up and running for almost 4 months. My windows is always open and there is lots of water circulation. I just did another water change

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed prazipro into my qt made sure there was proper water circulation with wave maker and air bubbler

My yellow tangs appetite has lessened, it still eats but not as much or as fast as it normally would.

Tiny Yellow eyed kole tang In there as well. No aggression between any of the fish that I've seen.

I've treated the system with copper power for a month then left the system un medicated for about 3 weeks and have dosed prazipro 3 days ago.

I have done a big steer up and done a 60% water change that's why the tank looks cloudy and now I'm getting another 60% water change ready just so any contamination/prazi is out of the system completely.

I've had a massive amount of bad luck and lost nearly all of my fish dude to velvet about 4 months ago and this blue tang was a surviver. So any help would be massively appreciated. I do not want to lose this fish or any for that matter

My blue tang disappeared for a couple of hours this morning. I pulled out some decoration in my qt and found it and had a look, discoloration, breathing rapid and laying on its side/swimming on its side.

Heres a video I uploaded I panicked a bit so excuse my bad filming

What is your ammonia level at? Prazipro, as explained, can scavenge oxygen, but typically this is a minor issue. Another thing that can happen is: copper doesn't do anything for flukes. During a copper Rx, the gill fluke population will build. You then hit the fish with prazi and the flukes all drop off. The trouble is, when they do that, it leaves hundreds of tiny holes in the fish's gills, and they can bleed out and either die, or become anemic. If at all possible, take a look inside the tang's gills when it is breathing. The gills should be red. If they are pink, the fish could be anemic.

Jay

OP
OP
R

Reefer350Lighting

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your ammonia level at? Prazipro, as explained, can scavenge oxygen, but typically this is a minor issue. Another thing that can happen is: copper doesn't do anything for flukes. During a copper Rx, the gill fluke population will build. You then hit the fish with prazi and the flukes all drop off. The trouble is, when they do that, it leaves hundreds of tiny holes in the fish's gills, and they can bleed out and either die, or become anemic. If at all possible, take a look inside the tang's gills when it is breathing. The gills should be red. If they are pink, the fish could be anemic.

Jay
Hi Jay,

My ammonia is 0. I have a seneye and seachem ammonia badge on it and they both show zero so I'm pretty confident that's not the issue. Unfortunately the gills on all the fish in the system is small so can't tell if they are pink or red.

The fish were treated with Prazi for 3 days do I re treat the system again or wait until my blue tang hopefully recovers. Luckily he started swimming normal today but after eating has now hidden. I think he just panicked a bit when I kicked him out of his home. My yellow tang is now eating like a pig.

Little confused at the moment because I can't pinpoint the fault. Honestly don't think oxygen was the issue. But the flukes can definitely be a possibility. The fish are not breathing fast so I'm not sure

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay,

My ammonia is 0. I have a seneye and seachem ammonia badge on it and they both show zero so I'm pretty confident that's not the issue. Unfortunately the gills on all the fish in the system is small so can't tell if they are pink or red.

The fish were treated with Prazi for 3 days do I re treat the system again or wait until my blue tang hopefully recovers. Luckily he started swimming normal today but after eating has now hidden. I think he just panicked a bit when I kicked him out of his home. My yellow tang is now eating like a pig.

Little confused at the moment because I can't pinpoint the fault. Honestly don't think oxygen was the issue. But the flukes can definitely be a possibility. The fish are not breathing fast so I'm not sure
I would wait 7 more days and dose the prazi again. That is needed to break the life cycle. One other thing - double check your math to ensure you have the dose correct.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everytime i treat a QT with prazi the fish stop eating for a day or two never fails

Oddly, I never see that. Do you treat with Prazipro, General Cure or bulk prazi? I use the latter.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have some concerns about the glycol solvent used in Prazipro. As you likely know, it scavenges oxygen due to bacterial decomposition. The low oxygen can certainly have side effects.

Prazipro was invented by John Kuhns (the guy that invented Amquel). I've known him for close to 40 years. I messaged him about this issue, but I never heard back - I think he isn't really active online any more.....

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back