Issues with new Tropic Marin Pro Salt mix

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using TMP for 2 years with absolutely no problems.

I know TM has opened a new plant in a different country, they changed the buckets (packaging) slightly, etc.
But I have to wonder if they've also changed the ingredients, the formula, or maybe both.

Here's why. I do water changes every 10-12 days, I seldom if ever miss a water change. I did the first water change with the new TMP on Oct 16th, 2021. Both Mg, Alk, and Ca have been noticeably decreasing in my system. I've had to increase the Ca and Alk dose weekly to keep up with the lower levels. I've never had to dose Mg. Mg has always been between 1380 and 1350. But it has been slowly decreasing over the last few weeks and is now down to 1100. It's low enough that this week I started to look into dosing Mg.

As part of the research into what Mg supplement I wanted to use etc. I discovered that Mg use is very small and especially in a system as small as mine I should be able to keep up with it with water changes. That's been the case until the last few weeks.

So before I launch down the path setting up a pump and dosing Mg I thought I'd look into when exactly the Mg drop started and see if I could spot another reason besides my tank using it. Fortunately, I keep good logs using both the Apex testing log and the Aquatilog app.

It was very easy to spot exactly when the decline in both Ca and Mg started. Looking back at the latest result logs both the Ca and the Mg were lower one week after I did the first water change using the new TMP mix. They both have been decreasing ever since.

Today just happened to be a water change day. I also just happen to have a small amount of the "old" TMP mix, enough to make about 3 gallons of water with. Last night I mixed both the old and the new. This afternoon I tested both for Ca, Mg and Alk.
Interestingly this is what I've found:

New source TMP: Ca 412 (using Salifert and Hanna they were within 4PPM of each other), Alk 6.6 using Hanna, Mg 1200 using Salifert.
Old source TMP: Ca 440, Alk 7.1 (usual result) Mg 1320

Given those results and the timing of the decrease in the parameters in my system, I would say it's highly likely caused by a change in the TMP mix. I also have noticed there is a residue on my mixing container with the new mix that was never there with the old mix. Before anyone says, "the mix settled in the bucket"; there's a near-zero chance that's the problem. Why? First doing a little searching on the forums I'm seeing many other posts about a change in TMP mix parameters, nearly all of those posts are near the same levels as what I am seeing. Second, and probably more importantly; I keep an empty TMP bucket. When I open a new TMP bucket I open the bucket/bag and pour all of it into the clean empty bucket. I do this in thirds and mix each third. Then I pour that back into the new bucket. If there was any settling that would likely remix the TMP mix.

Maybe myself and the dozen or so other users I've read just got a bad batch, who knows. For now, I'll just add Ca, Mg and Alk to the new mix. In the meantime, though I'm on the hunt for a new salt mix. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

tmccaff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting because I have used TMP and about to buy another maybe I should wait. Could be you got a bad batch. Did you reach out to them? I hear people swear with Fritz salt ( I will perhaps try that) and Red Sea Coral Salt blue one (had it liked it but expensive) heard great stories with them.

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting because I have used TMP and about to buy another maybe I should wait. Could be you got a bad batch. Did you reach out to them? I hear people swear with Fritz salt ( I will perhaps try that) and Red Sea Coral Salt blue one (had it liked it but expensive) heard great stories with them.
I have not reached out to them yet. I just went through my logs today and then went back to my purchases online to verify the correlation between the mix and the reduced levels. I plan to write an email to them after Christmas. I have read where others with the same or similar issues have reached out to them, I haven't, unfortunately, read any replies from TM about the issues.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know TM has opened a new plant in a different country, they changed the buckets (packaging) slightly, etc.
But I have to wonder if they've also changed the ingredients, the formula, or maybe both.

Here's why. I do water changes every 10-12 days, I seldom if ever miss a water change. I did the first water change with the new TMP on Oct 16th, 2021. Both Mg, Alk, and Ca have been noticeably decreasing in my system. I've had to increase the Ca and Alk dose weekly to keep up with the lower levels. I've never had to dose Mg. Mg has always been between 1380 and 1350. But it has been slowly decreasing over the last few weeks and is now down to 1100. It's low enough that this week I started to look into dosing Mg.

As part of the research into what Mg supplement I wanted to use etc. I discovered that Mg use is very small and especially in a system as small as mine I should be able to keep up with it with water changes. That's been the case until the last few weeks.

So before I launch down the path setting up a pump and dosing Mg I thought I'd look into when exactly the Mg drop started and see if I could spot another reason besides my tank using it. Fortunately, I keep good logs using both the Apex testing log and the Aquatilog app.

It was very easy to spot exactly when the decline in both Ca and Mg started. Looking back at the latest result logs both the Ca and the Mg were lower one week after I did the first water change using the new TMP mix. They both have been decreasing ever since.

Today just happened to be a water change day. I also just happen to have a small amount of the "old" TMP mix, enough to make about 3 gallons of water with. Last night I mixed both the old and the new. This afternoon I tested both for Ca, Mg and Alk.

New source TMP: Ca 412 (using Salifert and Hanna they were within 4PPM of each other), Alk 6.6 using Hanna, Mg 1200 using Salifert.

Given those results and the timing of the decrease in the parameters in my system, I would say it's highly likely caused by a change in the TMP mix. I also have noticed there is a residue on my mixing container with the new mix that was never there with the old mix. Before anyone says, "the mix settled in the bucket"; there's a near-zero chance that's the problem. Why? First doing a little searching on the forums I'm seeing many other posts about a change in TMP mix parameters, nearly all of those posts are near the same levels as what I am seeing. Second, and probably more importantly; I keep an empty TMP bucket. When I open a new TMP bucket I open the bucket/bag and pour all of it into the clean empty bucket. I do this in thirds and mix each third. Then I pour that back into the new bucket. If there was any settling that would likely remix the TMP mix.
Maybe myself and the dozen or so other users I've read just got a bad batch, who knows. For now, I'll just add Ca, Mg and Alk to the new mix. In the meantime, though I'm on the hunt for a new salt mix. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Well, I definitely have had a problem with the TM I have been using the last month, but my numbers are unfortunately very high! My alkalinity, ph, calcium, everything went way up. I have done water change upon water change with nothing changing, but going higher. I never had this problem before this salt. I have lost over 1k in coral since and have been driving myself crazy trying to get it under control. I just recently began to wonder if it was possibly the salt and started looking at the different numbers for salt mixes, but I still didn't think that could be it. Low and behold I reached out to a local fish seller and maintenance company and spent 2 hours at his shop talking about everything to do with my tank and he immediately told me about the problems alot of his customers and all the online community referencing issues with the TM salt since they made some changes in the company. He believes 100% that is what my issues with tank are. I wish I would have called him before and found this out prior to losing so much coral. All I have been doing is adding to the problem by continuing with water changes using the same salt. I don't think there was originally a problem with their brand salt, but I am also at the point of believing that has to be my problem. Future buyers beware and definitely test the salt water prior to using the TP.

Last edited:

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mslabonik Have you tried testing the freshly mixed salt yet? This doesn't sound like the issues others were having. Mix a small batch up, let it mix fully then test it so you're not just guessing. Are you dosing anything as well?

topshelfjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM updated about some clay contaminant. I don't buy it and the response smells like lawyers.

i haven't seen the issue with TM classic (made in germany) but i'll be going through my 5 buckets and then not supporting them anymore.

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mslabonik Have you tried testing the freshly mixed salt yet? This doesn't sound like the issues others were having. Mix a small batch up, let it mix fully then test it so you're not just guessing. Are you dosing anything as well?

Yes, I planned on mixing some of it up here in about an hour. No I don't dose anything. That is why so confusing. As said, never had this issue before. I will mix it up and test and then test it again tomorrow as well. Thanks

mslabonik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM updated about some clay contaminant. I don't buy it and the response smells like lawyers.

i haven't seen the issue with TM classic (made in germany) but i'll be going through my 5 buckets and then not supporting them anymore.

That is what the fish guy told me today, that they had an issue with mixing or something.

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on with my Alk and PH. I've been on a 4 month cycle of a new tank and wasn't really concerned with tank parameters. I've just done some random testing of my parameters and they always matched what was on the TMP bucket. I've been doing two gal/day automatic water changes almost from the beginning of the cycle, so I wasn't worried about it until now; I want to get my parameters stabilized before adding any coral.

I got a new bucket of salt a couple of weeks ago and mixed a new batch (60 Gallons) and resumed the two gallons/day water changes.

I started testing parameters again and couldn't believe the results. I thought something was wrong with my checkers. My Hanna dKh checker calibration fluid expired, so i couldn't check its accuracy, but I have two ph probes (Neptune Lab Grade PH, and Hanna H198103) they are both calibrated.

I found this thread and noticed that DWill parameters were almost exactly the same as mine both before and after

"New source TMP: Ca 412 (using Salifert and Hanna they were within 4PPM of each other), Alk 6.6 using Hanna, Mg 1200 using Salifert.
Old source TMP: Ca 440, Alk 7.1 (usual result) Mg 1320"

So, I'm pretty sure that my issue is related to the salt mix. The results are pretty much the same in the mixing vat as they are in my tank.

I am dosing Kalk currently. I'm starting out slow and I'll increase the dose as I go. I've been dosing Kalk for two days now; you can see from the graph that it is increasing, and my Alk is back up to 7dKh.

1644863299026.png

1644863008546.png

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the meantime, though I'm on the hunt for a new salt mix. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
I've used Instant Ocean regular (purple lid, not Reef Crystals) for over 20 years. Many of reefcentral or reef2reef's Tank of the Month have been with Instant Ocean, so successful tanks have been raised with the tried and true...

Its ridiculous the price difference between IO and the nearest competitor. We are talking about double the cost.
Check out amazon, and the price for a 50 gallon bag and do the math.

Judging from my anecdotal experience and many successful tanks with IO, I really believe no matter how deficient alk, calc or mag is in IO, the cost for supplementation is nowhere near justifying double the price for the nearest salt competitor.

Vitamins, amino acids and "bio-actiff?". Its all just marketing BS. IMHO. Is it really worth double the price for a salt mix? If there are ToTM reef tanks that are so successful with this salt, I don't see why anyone would pay double the price for a salt mix.

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on with my Alk and PH. I've been on a 4 month cycle of a new tank and wasn't really concerned with tank parameters. I've just done some random testing of my parameters and they always matched what was on the TMP bucket. I've been doing two gal/day automatic water changes almost from the beginning of the cycle, so I wasn't worried about it until now; I want to get my parameters stabilized before adding any coral.

I got a new bucket of salt a couple of weeks ago and mixed a new batch (60 Gallons) and resumed the two gallons/day water changes.

I started testing parameters again and couldn't believe the results. I thought something was wrong with my checkers. My Hanna dKh checker calibration fluid expired, so i couldn't check its accuracy, but I have two ph probes (Neptune Lab Grade PH, and Hanna H198103) they are both calibrated.

I found this thread and noticed that DWill parameters were almost exactly the same as mine both before and after

"New source TMP: Ca 412 (using Salifert and Hanna they were within 4PPM of each other), Alk 6.6 using Hanna, Mg 1200 using Salifert.
Old source TMP: Ca 440, Alk 7.1 (usual result) Mg 1320"

So, I'm pretty sure that my issue is related to the salt mix. The results are pretty much the same in the mixing vat as they are in my tank.

I am dosing Kalk currently. I'm starting out slow and I'll increase the dose as I go. I've been dosing Kalk for two days now; you can see from the graph that it is increasing, and my Alk is back up to 7dKh.

1644863299026.png

1644863008546.png
Ya , I picked up a new bucket of TMP from Germany last week. I threw out the Turkey made salt I had. Did a big water change last week. The new salt mixed to the correct numbers. The only thing I had to adjust was Alk and that’s the usual.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back