Issues with phyto culturing. Cultures never go dark green. Any tips?

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have been trying to culture my own phyto (first a mix, now nanno) for few months now and I think I am doing something wrong.
I am sterilizing the containers by boiling the media (2 parts saltwater 1 part RODI water + 1ml F/2 per liter) inside the culturing vessel in a pot of water for 15 minutes.
When I split the culture I remove half of the content and replace with sterile media, but I don't change the vessel every time.
The vessels have airline tubing with air flow at max (looks like boiling). The phyto does not crash but never reaches good density and has a kind of yellowish color,
You can see below the bottle on the right is the starter culture. After 7-10 days the cultures are a way in between the starter culture and the freshly split cultures on the left, but never as dark as the starter.
I checked under the microscope and the cultures seems to be not infected with stuff, and the cells are tiny and round. It looks like nannochloropsis.
What do you think the most likely problem is? Lack of sufficient light or maybe the F/2 comes from a bad batch? They never seem to crash even if I leave them longer than one week, perhaps I could try to leave them longer and see what happen. My impression is that after a certain point they start to become yellower instead of darker.
WhatsApp Image 2022-08-31 at 13.16.46.jpeg

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also my pod cultures crashed recently. I don't know if it is related to the phyto though. I diluted them 50% for harvesting (usually I do 20%) and the day after they were all dead.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think the most likely problem is? Lack of sufficient light or maybe the F/2 comes from a bad batch? They never seem to crash even if I leave them longer than one week, perhaps I could try to leave them longer and see what happen. My impression is that after a certain point they start to become yellower instead of darker.
16-18hrs of light. What are u using?
I sterilize my vessel and tubing every rotation. I have never done anything to the salt water to sterilize it. Yellow is not good and means that the culture is not happy.
You could add more F/2, I’ve done almost double what the directions said. Came out darker.
9B929789-692D-42EA-B484-1BE5B6FFEAE9.jpeg
851368E4-8FC9-47F0-873C-2C31D2DAF668.jpeg

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. My nanno only turns bright green. It appears to be quite dense, just not dark. Not sure if it’s really supposed too or not. Iso is the only one that actually turns dark for me.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
16-18hrs of light. What are u using?
I just use sunlight from the windows. It gets direct sun for a couple of hours and then diffused light the rest of the day (exposed at E). Probably for winter times I will need to add some artificial light. Given the cost of electricity right now I am trying to avoid that as much as possible.
You could add more F/2, I’ve done almost double what the directions said. Came out darker.
I should try. I added 1ml more to a yellowish culture and it came out a bit greener but nothing like the dark green I have seen in some threads here.

OP
OP
KonradTO

KonradTO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. My nanno only turns bright green. It appears to be quite dense, just not dark. Not sure if it’s really supposed too or not. Iso is the only one that actually turns dark for me.
I only tried Nanno, maybe I should try Iso as well. I just need it for culturing pods, so I don't really care as long as it consumes all the F/2.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only tried Nanno, maybe I should try Iso as well. I just need it for culturing pods, so I don't really care as long as it consumes all the F/2.
You could try spirulina powder. Also there is an article here on R2R where they culture pods and feed them reef roids. I think it depends on which species of copepods you are trying to grow. There is also Atoll who breeds pods outside in a tub!! Who is also on your side of the pond! I did ok with the outdoor culture till snail and slugs made it in the tub and crashed it.
F534284C-CA8A-41B6-9333-E0F15006B52C.jpeg
1BCB1D1A-06EB-48A1-9C68-E212EA058D5D.jpeg

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think lighting is a big issue here . Get a set of 6500k lights they seem to work the best at getting denser cultures. You can also play around with your F/2 ratios

Back