Issues with Tangs in QT

Bri Carr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have 3 tangs (in 2 separate tanks) that have been going through my quarantine process.

Tank 1: Hippo Tang and Sailfin
Went through 15 days of copper power (1.75) and then switched to a sterile, new tank. They have been in the sterile tank for about a week and everything looked good. Then, I saw some bumps on the Hippo Tank and I thought it was Ich so I put them back into Copper. They have been been in copper for about a week and a half. Now, I'm thinking that maybe it's not Ich and it is Hole in the Head Disease or Later Line Erosion. If it's not Ich, then I assume I should take them out of the tank with Copper Power and put them in another sterile tank with maybe some General Cure. Can you look at the photos of the Hippo Tang and the Sailfin tang and let me know what you think?

Tank 2: Yellow Eye Kole Tank
Went through about 3 weeks of Copper Power at 1.75. Then put into a sterile tank and he was doing fine. He has been in there for about 1.5 weeks. Now, I notice that his skin around his face is loosing it's color. Is this Hole in the Head Disease? I put some General Cure in the tank 2 days ago and I'm about to add the second dose. Can you look at the photo of the Yellow Eye Kole Tang and let me know if you agree with what I'm doing?

All fish were being fed frozen food (Rods and brine shrimp with spiraling) with GC added as well as Selcon for the first 2 weeks when they are in copper. Now they are just eating frozen food and some Nori about every day or every 2 days.

Thanks for your help.
HippoTang_1.jpg
HippoTang_2.jpg
HippoTang_3.jpg
Sailfin_1.jpg
YellowEyeKoleTang_1.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin and the kole definitely have HLLE. I worry that the kole may also have a bacterial infection in the early stages.

If the fish with the spots was any fish other than a blue hippo I'd be more worried. I don't think you are dealing with anything parasitic.

Blue hippos (for whatever reason) can get what we call mystery disease or it's a negative reaction to the copper treatment. Just keep it in observation feed high quality foods offer nori daily and add vitamin supplements.and see if the spots subside. I've ever really only seen this on blue hippos.

OP
OP
B

Bri Carr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help. I moved the Sailfin and the Hippo Tang into a sterile tank (with no copper). The Hippo Tang is starting to clear up already. I think the Sailfin and the Yellow Eye Kole tang will take a while to heal, if they even do. I'm going to watch them for another week and then I might put the all into the display tank. They've been in QT for about a month and a half now.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help. I moved the Sailfin and the Hippo Tang into a sterile tank (with no copper). The Hippo Tang is starting to clear up already. I think the Sailfin and the Yellow Eye Kole tang will take a while to heal, if they even do. I'm going to watch them for another week and then I might put the all into the display tank. They've been in QT for about a month and a half now.
Glad to hear they are looking better. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back