Issues with Trident. “Bad alk range”

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m having an issue with my trident. Has worked great for the past couple months. I replaced reagents two days ago and after I calibrated. Worked fine. Then today I get a “bad alk range” blinking. I immediately test with Hanna and get 8.7 so should be within range for trident. I recalibrate and after I’m getting the same thing.

any thoughts on how to fix issue?

my calcium is also higher than normal at 477. I don’t currently dos calcium and just started dosing alk to keep it up.
Thanks.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Verify the Alk reagent tube is not pinched.
2. Check if the metal tube inside the Alk reagent bottle has detached.
3. If that's not it, remove the reagent bottles and pull out the tray so you can look inside the Trident to see if the reagent tube is still connected to the internal valve.
IMG_6315.jpg

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me a few months ago and after a bit of troubleshooting I discovered that the sample tube had gotten clogged so it wasn‘t able to take in water from the tank to test. I disconnected the sample tube and blew it out which resolved the issue.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This happened to me a few months ago and after a bit of troubleshooting I discovered that the sample tube had gotten clogged so it wasn‘t able to take in water from the tank to test. I disconnected the sample tube and blew it out which resolved the issue.
Ok. Will give that a try tomorrow. How did you blow it out?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Will give that a try tomorrow. How did you blow it out?
The most effective way to blow it out is to connect the sample tube to a syringe (use the little fitting that connects the sample line to the short pigtail on the back of the trident) and force water through it.

OP
OP
ID-Reefer

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So this morning trident seems to be working. Has normal alk reading but calcium is showing high at 492. Will try to clear supply line and recalibrate again.

todda5914

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the trouble shooting steps. I have had a similar problem (Bad Alk Range) after replacing the sample line and reagents. Getting the trident working again after a month where it was down. The Mg and Ca tests appear to be within range. It looks like a little patience may be in order.

One additional step may be worth checking, I had a problem with a small hole in the sample line. It was not apparent a couple of times when I checked it, but the blow test and a careful check of the line showed a small break in the area where the sample line was held in place by the clip.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.6%
Back