It’s done!!! BestMomEver’s new 90 gallon build!

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a tank, stand and canopy at Reefapalooza, Orlando this weekend! Amazing as it is, I convinced dear, sweet hubby to buy it for me!

The tank is made by Planet Aquarium and is 36 1/2 x 24 1/2 x 25 ... low iron glass. The stand is black and it has a matching canopy. Back in the day, most tanks had canopies and, frankly, I prefer the look. The suspended lights are slick but light scatters everywhere. I like everything all tied up and matching.

We also found an Eshopps RS 100 sump that fits beautifully. I already have one Radion xr 15 gen 4 pro. I picked up another. Now I just need the sliding rail. I’ll attach the rail to the canopy and put the lights on it. I bought another energy bar for my Apex. We’ll gather a few other plumbing parts and will begin this weekend!

Here is the tank as we were dismantling it to load it in the car...

B66ABDAD-2331-4FFC-B617-3BB146A766A8.jpeg
AA7D6BF3-686D-4A13-B39A-71B1F7EE3952.jpeg
0A5AF0E8-05D5-4A80-8B4D-2158A7E6C194.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome. Nothing like the small of new tank. I would expect you have it filled and fully stocked by Wednesday right?;Jawdrop

Cant wait for pix.

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome. Nothing like the small of new tank. I would expect you have it filled and fully stocked by Wednesday right?;Jawdrop

Cant wait for pix.
I wish! Pa said he’d start plumbing on Friday. I got to get it home 1st. We just barely got the tank and stand in the back of my Subaru Forester. The canopy didn’t fit. We brought it up to the room, ran to Lowe’s for supplies and went to work. 100 feet of bubble wrap, a huge roll of shrink wrap and a roll of gorilla duct tap, and we got this....

image.jpg

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the living room.....

image.jpg

Now I have to figure out where/how to place all my controllers and wires. I think I’m gonna put the doser and top off container under the sump and buy a cabinet to put my apex. I’ve sent Planet Aquariums and asked where I can get the same stain they used on the stand. Hopefully they’ll get back to me soon!

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New stuff in the mail! Red Sea Coral Pro salt, Red Sea Calcium and Alkalinity, more CO2 scrubber media and two 7” filter socks. Those goes with the extra Radion, extra energy bar, and Apex auto feeder! More stuff to arrive tomorrow!

C829D08C-B008-4695-9D88-6D1B7C454500.jpeg

Sorry for the dreadful picture!

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that hubby has a day off, we can work on the equipment cabinet. We chose a pre-made kitchen cabinet from Lowe’s. Since it will be freestanding and not part of a kitchen, we have to finish the sides. We are also gonna put a wood counter on it and stain all surfaces the same color. After inquiring with the aquarium company about the stain color on the aquarium cabinet I managed to contact the local distributor. They told me that they only sell to businesses. Disappointing. So, we found a stain at Lowe’s that we hope will work out to be similar to the stand.

Here’s hubby trying to trim the veneer....

D486467B-20DE-414B-B02D-C80840C8D3D3.jpeg

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Keep those pix coming
Of topic for sure... but where did that quote come from in your signature line? I’m only curious cause I have a degree in philosophy and that’s something we discussed frequently. My conclusion... the first line of the quote is the most debatable! Haha!!

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many things to ponder.... rock work, transition from one tank to another, designing Apex cabinet.... fish....

I have to combine three tanks. Some fish I will return because of space constraints. This is what I’ll end up with...

2 x clarkii clowns
1 x tiny tomini tang
2 x Watchman Goby and shrimp pair (one pair from my tank and one pair from hubby’s tank)
1 x six line Wrasse
1 x purple Firefish
1 x Pygmy angel
1 x sunrise dottyback
1 x striped Blenny

Looking at that list, that seems like a bunch! But most of them are small. The Clarkii clowns are already pretty large. That’s about 37 inches of full grown fish in 90 gallons. Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we’ve finished staining the Apex cabinet. When this last coat dries all the way, we will decide if more needs to be done.

CCBB3CF9-3132-4499-9A19-3F4827AFDBC7.jpeg

Plumbing is almost done. The tank has two drain holes but the sump only has one intake. We had to put an awkward joint in but it works. I also mounted my Bubble Magus doser.

D6185C7D-7609-42C6-863C-D6B1538931A7.jpeg

A4C881D1-B554-4A89-B904-F992BD4C24DC.jpeg

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of topic for sure... but where did that quote come from in your signature line? I’m only curious cause I have a degree in philosophy and that’s something we discussed frequently. My conclusion... the first line of the quote is the most debatable! Haha!!

I actually put it together when I first got here. I hate controversy/conflict . I work in a field where there is nothing but. I see so much selfishness and greed. People can’t get along to reach a mutual goal, and ethics and morals are thrown out the window for money.

And like many others I did a reef forum years ago where 99% were b**tholes(can I say that)

Sorry, I went crazy there for a minute. Anyway, I just want to get along, and if each can’t agree with another’s position you can still respect it.

And now for something funny...

upload_2019-4-14_20-58-22.gif

OP
OP
BestMomEver

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually put it together when I first got here. I hate controversy/conflict . I work in a field where there is nothing but. I see so much selfishness and greed. People can’t get along to reach a mutual goal, and ethics and morals are thrown out the window for money.

And like many others I did a reef forum years ago where 99% were b**tholes(can I say that)

Sorry, I went crazy there for a minute. Anyway, I just want to get along, and if each can’t agree with another’s position you can still respect it.

And now for something funny...

upload_2019-4-14_20-58-22.gif
I hope I didn’t offend you! I just liked your quote and wanted to comment on it. I am a peacemaker too so I right there with you.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back