It’s feeding time!! “One punch” the mantis vs Emerald Crab!

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id hate to get hit by that. Does he try for any of those fish...wasnt that damsels i saw swimimg around
Yea 4 are in the tank, they are faster then him. So they stay alive. They really have the run of the place 90% of the day, while he’s building and hanging out in his cave.

But during feeding time, if they stand between him and his food he goes after them. They bolt off and he grabs his food.

He really only goes after crustaceans, it’s what he dose. I have about 30-40 hermits in the tank that get ghosted throughout the week. I’ll toss about 10 in there every three weeks or so. They keep the tank clean by eating his left overs. I also over feed the fish, to feed the huge amount of CUC.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if he could pop the glass if it wanted
I have him in a acrylic tank just because of that. They don’t really hit the front glass unprovoked, they like to dig, and when they can’t go any further they start punching through rock in the ocean. In your tank, it’s the bottom glass. That’s how they break tanks, by hitting the same spot over and over again.

They are also super smart, watches me every time I walk by the tank, and follows me around. He can see me across the room.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thats interesting they are aware like that. Good thing on the acrylic tank...boy that be a mess if he broke thru the bottom

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, thats interesting they are aware like that. Good thing on the acrylic tank...boy that be a mess if he broke thru the bottom
Yea they are impressive, and fun to watch, making big rocks into small rocks. He blocks off his cave every night for safety.

They also see something like 12 other colors we can’t, probably why it’s so aware.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool animal but his name is a little misleading. I used to waste a lot of time watching Mantis shrimp feeding videos on YouTube. Lol
He’s named after “one punch man”, a cartoon. Lol.

1617251022652.gif

The wife named him haha.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea they are impressive, and fun to watch, making big rocks into small rocks. He blocks off his cave every night for safety.

They also see something like 12 other colors we can’t, probably why it’s so aware.
I always thought it'd be cool to have one but ultimately for me it wasn't worth the hassle of having a mostly dedicated tank, and trying to keep it fed.

I'm just happy to see one that wasn't given the name "Hulk"

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought it'd be cool to have one but ultimately for me it wasn't worth the hassle of having a mostly dedicated tank, and trying to keep it fed.

I'm just happy to see one that wasn't given the name "Hulk"
Yea, the tank is 100% built around the mantis. Was the whole reason I got into saltwater.

It’s a misconception that it cost a lot to feed. He mainly lives off raw frozen shrimp, soaked in selcon. A 1/2 of shrimp every other day, a frozen $10 bag will last months. But needs something to smash at least once a well so his hammers don’t fall off.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, the tank is 100% built around the mantis. Was the whole reason I got into saltwater.

It’s a misconception that it cost a lot to feed. He mainly lives off raw frozen shrimp, soaked in selcon. A 1/2 of shrimp every other day, a frozen $10 bag will last months. But needs something to smash at least once a well so his hammers don’t fall off.
Good to know. I guess from watching feeding videos I assumed they would only eat live food. I guess no one wants to watch a video of a mantis eating a piece of frozen shrimp.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I guess from watching feeding videos I assumed they would only eat live food. I guess no one wants to watch a video of a mantis eating a piece of frozen shrimp.
lol true. Actually they are very energy efficient and lazy. If you just feed frozen food, they won’t kill anything and their hammers will eventually fall off. Also if you feed them everyday they won’t even come out of their cave until feeding time. By keeping hermits in the tank, and feeding him every other day, he has to hunt every other day for food.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff! I've always wanted to get a mantis, but never have tried it.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about getting one. The only thing stopping me is his dietary requirements. Will they eat frozen clams and muscles you get from the grocery store? Does it have to be alive and moving for him to go after it?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back