It’s feeding time!! “One punch” the mantis vs Emerald Crab!

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about getting one. The only thing stopping me is his dietary requirements. Will they eat frozen clams and muscles you get from the grocery store? Does it have to be alive and moving for him to go after it?
Mines a pig he seems to eat anything. I feed him frozen mysis every day and toss him a hermit or snail every few days.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes in my refugium so its hard to get a good picture. Heres a video of him and then a picture off google of the same species

DSC_9340_ps.jpg
Video isn’t working. Those are gorgeous, a little smaller than the peacock if I remember right. The ones with the dark spots on the insides of his hammers. Right?

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about getting one. The only thing stopping me is his dietary requirements. Will they eat frozen clams and muscles you get from the grocery store? Does it have to be alive and moving for him to go after it?
Yes like @Dragonsreef said, mine mainly lives off frozen food. I feed it live food to keep it active and hunting.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they only get to about 3.5in but it allows me to keep him in a smaller tank than a peacock
They look just as gorgeous tho. Yea I wish I had a better camera to take photos of mine. Also the mantis is never not moving once out of his cave, which makes it even hard to snag a photo.

OneInchPunch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful critter! My Peacock Bruce lives mainly off frozen, he likes to snatch a few mysis/brine that I feed to the fish and gets either a frozen cockle in shell (to make sure he has to smash) or a lance fish. The only live food he gets regularly are any cleanup crew I put in and an occasional shore crab when I can be bothered to go and catch some.

OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beautiful critter! My Peacock Bruce lives mainly off frozen, he likes to snatch a few mysis/brine that I feed to the fish and gets either a frozen cockle in shell (to make sure he has to smash) or a lance fish. The only live food he gets regularly are any cleanup crew I put in and an occasional shore crab when I can be bothered to go and catch some.
That’s awesome, yea mine lives off mainly frozen food, however, yesterday I just dropped in 50 saltwater ghost shrimp. This is going to turn out bad, or I might just be a Genius! Lol

BTW love the user name!

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Just sharing!!! “One punch” my Peacock Mantis vs Emerald Crab.

Note: the crab dies, if this isn’t your thing don’t click the link.

This is probably a stupid question but can you feed them crab legs that have been soaked in selcon?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brady4000

Brady4000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably a stupid question but can you feed them crab legs that have been soaked in selcon?
It’s not a stupid question. I am guessing your talking about the crab leg meat of a large crab. Not the small Emerald crabs.

Yes you can. I do this with raw frozen table shrimp. I thaw it out under hot water, then use a paper towel to dry it out. I squeeze as much juice out of the shrimp as I can without masticating it in the paper towel. Then I drip about 8 drops of Selcon on it, let it soak for 5 mins and drop it in the tank. This is how the Mantis is usually fed every other day.

Back