It’s hip to be square! What are the benefits of a cube aquarium?

What are the benefits of a cube aquarium?

• Better light coverage

Votes: 106 53.5%
  • Viewing from more angles

Votes: 113 57.1%
  • Positive flow patterns

Votes: 41 20.7%
  • Unique aquascaping

Votes: 85 42.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 8.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s hip to be square! What are the benefits of a cube aquarium?

Most of the available aquariums are rectangles and that is what most of us have, however, cube tanks have found a place in the hobby. From small nano setups to 60+ gallon square tanks, these cube tanks are offered by many aquarium-makers. Whether you have a cube tank, have thoughts about it, and can even imagine having one, what do you think are the benefits of a cube aquarium? Maybe it is the lighting footprint of your preferred LED fixture that matches that footprint of the tank, the viewing angles, the opportunity for unique aquascaping, or more. Please tell us what you think about the positives of a cube tank, as well as any tips that you may have, in the discussion!

Shaner014_CubeTank.jpeg

Photo by @shaner014

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The positives:

-Lend themselves to neat aquascapes. They're versatile in that you can create prominent spires, islands, shallow gradients, walls, islands, etc and forgiving.
-They have good visual impact because they are space efficient and the simple shape is classic and aesthetically pleasing
-Size scales well i.e. large water volume in smaller footprint
- Easy to light
-Good viewing angles

Cons are flow can be tricky, and large cubes by nature are deep which adds complications to maintenance

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space saving, viewable from 3-4 sides, easy to light! I love my 60 gal cube it’s my 3rd cube over the years…
252E1E37-C0BC-45BD-918C-D30E12026734.jpeg
Nice! I'm on the cube wagon also, have had a few up to a 30x30 90g. Currently have a 50g. I love them to death, but my only gripe is the pita of getting flow right in them.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I'm on the cube wagon also, have had a few up to a 30x30 90g. Currently have a 50g. I love them to death, but my only gripe is the pita of getting flow right in them.
It can be a pain.. my last cube I built, i used a closed loop on a dart pump it was my favorite… this one I got some cheapo wave makers from Amazon and had to play with it.. trimmed down impellers cause the flow was too much lol.. it’s good now and everything happy.. I’ve found I just gotta place certain lps in certain places where a rock shields them… I’m Sps dominant so I have very high flow.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the cube!

The office tank was our first cube build and offered some unique challenges and some benefits. It' is a 36"x 36"x 24" cube - approx. 134-gallons of display space

VCA-134_at-1-year.jpg

First the challenge is flow in a cube tank.
It's almost like a short peninsula. So it is easier to follow than a peninsula tank, because you don't have the length. But the challenge is still that you only have one wall to bring that flow from which is usually the back wall

In our case that challenge was solved easily by just two, 1in Random Flow Generators® Nozzles and a closed loop.
No powerheads! Flow is phenomenal in this tank.

Dual-Closed Loop Flow Soltuion.jpg

Benefits
obvious benefits are that you do have three wide viewing areas. Our cube is a 3 foot by three foot by two foot cube, so three panels of three foot wide viewing.

other benefits are from the aqua scaping standpoint, you're forced to make more of an island layout, As opposed to the usual rock wall aquascape

check out our build thread on this tank herer:
We have documents the entire build, including some of the was we solved the challenges a cube build presents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The positives:

-Lend themselves to neat aquascapes. They're versatile in that you can create prominent spires, islands, shallow gradients, walls, islands, etc and forgiving.
-They have good visual impact because they are space efficient and the simple shape is classic and aesthetically pleasing
-Size scales well i.e. large water volume in smaller footprint
- Easy to light
-Good viewing angles

Cons are flow can be tricky, and large cubes by nature are deep which adds complications to maintenance
Thanks for jumping in and for the feedback! Just a quick sneak peak for tomorrow's QOTD, we will take a look at the challenges related to keeping cubes and the associated solutions. Stay tuned!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cubes look pretty but I'm not a fan as they are not great for active fish and fish are what matters most for me. If I wanted a coral focused tank however.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had cube tanks for the last 10+ years; originally started with a 60g cube and upgraded 2yrs ago to a 150g (total volume, 36x36x24). I’ve had 5’ and 6’ rectangular tanks prior so going to cubes was purely due to space constraints! Agree with @Vivid Creative Aquatics — the pros outweigh the cons tho, esp flow. I just stuffed it with 5 wave makers to compensate.

Attachments

• 07E82509-6EB3-4854-9068-5E8E84175993.jpeg
    07E82509-6EB3-4854-9068-5E8E84175993.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 150

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For me was easier scaping and positive light coverage.

93g cube 10.28d.jpg

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the cube!

The office tank was our first cube build and offered some unique challenges and some benefits. It' is a 36"x 36"x 24" cube - approx. 134-gallons of display space

VCA-134_at-1-year.jpg

First the challenge is flow in a cube tank.
It's almost like a short peninsula. So it is easier to follow than a peninsula tank, because you don't have the length. But the challenge is still that you only have one wall to bring that flow from which is usually the back wall

In our case that challenge was solved easily by just two, 1in Random Flow Generators® Nozzles and a closed loop.
No powerheads! Flow is phenomenal in this tank.

Dual-Closed Loop Flow Soltuion.jpg

Benefits
obvious benefits are that you do have three wide viewing areas. Our cube is a 3 foot by three foot by two foot cube, so three panels of three foot wide viewing.

other benefits are from the aqua scaping standpoint, you're forced to make more of an island layout, As opposed to the usual rock wall aquascape

check out our build thread on this tank herer:
We have documents the entire build, including some of the was we solved the challenges a cube build presents.
Wow thanks for the detailed flow schematic. Not trying to hijack this but what is your input.
Got a 30X30x30 cube has left corner overflow with 1.5 and 1' (will use this as drain and emergency)
As 2 1/2" returns nears overflow box. I currently have a new MP10 and MP40 was thinking of purchasing another MP40 as it will be bare bottom/SPS . Was thinking of putting 1 MP40 back bottom to blow across. MP10 up higher (as tall tank) and MP40 one left side.
The returns will be with Eductors and running 900gph RD pump.
What do you think do I need the second MP40?

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks for the detailed flow schematic. Not trying to hijack this but what is your input.
Got a 30X30x30 cube has left corner overflow with 1.5 and 1' (will use this as drain and emergency)
As 2 1/2" returns nears overflow box. I currently have a new MP10 and MP40 was thinking of purchasing another MP40 as it will be bare bottom/SPS . Was thinking of putting 1 MP40 back bottom to blow across. MP10 up higher (as tall tank) and MP40 one left side.
The returns will be with Eductors and running 900gph RD pump.
What do you think do I need the second MP40?
If it still dry and in the setup stage, I would personal advocate for drilling a closed loop and go RFG nozzles - you won't even need any power heads. For a tank of that size, just two slightly over-driven 3/4in RFGs or even two 1in RFGs would get the job done for flow.

Of course, that would be my completely biased opinion - LOL

At a minimum, go with 1/2in Random Flow generators on the Returns, as opposed to standard educators. At around 450 to 500 GPH (or more) the 1/2in can be surprising effective.

As for the MP40s (if you're still going that rout, and I haven't convinced you to go with RFGs on a closed loop :) ), I would run the two MP40s off the back wall facing forward and the MP10, down in the lower back corner going acorss the tank from left to right.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back