It’s kinda disturbing seeing how many noobs kill aquatic life with their nano tanks….

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Your Title

It’s kinda disturbing seeing how many noobs kill aquatic life with their nano tanks….​

IMO the words in orange in your title:

"A troll is a person who intentionally tries to instigate conflict (disturbing), hostility (kill aquatic life) , or arguments in an online social community (many noobs).

It's a trolling title.

Last edited:

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do question the claim that a larger tank is easier to keep than a smaller one
IME, i've had 120g reef tank that thrived for many years but probably did so because of the care and regiment i put into that tank. Needed to get rid of the tank so i stopped the hobby altogether for about 5 years
Fast forward to 4 months ago and i was lucky enough to acquire a Fluval Evo 13.5 and while much smaller, i would have to say that i do find that it is easier to maintain than a larger tank. Reason is the water changes are much smaller and can be done more frequently, less equipment to maintain, smaller amounts of dosing than on larger tanks, and cheaper on the budget than a larger tank would be. Only real thing to becareful of is that larger tanks are alot more forgiving than smaller ones meaning, water quality swings happen much quicker than larger tanks but on the same token, recovery can also have the same effect.

If reefing was easy and everyone could do it, the cost of coral would be alot different than it is today........

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because eating to survive & wanting to own a reef tank are two completely different things?????
750,000 hobbyists in the US who probably accidently kill 10% of their fish = 75,000 tropical fish. Which is SAD but reality, so move on.

332,000,000 ppl in the U.S. consuming trillions of animals who die a cruel death through the food processing system.

SIDENOTE
With Beef and pork, the processing plant hangs the live animals up by the hind legs and cut their throats and they bleed out going along the conveyer line

Fishermen take live fish and throw them into a large ice tank in the haul of their boat where the fish went from happily swimming to being caught in a net to being thrown on ice to freeze and suffocate to death over 5-10 mins

How can you stand there and tout accidental killing of tropical fish by unintended circumstances is a BIGGER issue than processing animals for food where likely 25% of what's processed is wasted, spoiled and thrown in the garbage.

Ain't buying this post.... bc in the big bad world, animals will always be consumable.

It's the nature of the human world....
until A.I. Machines makes you and me consumables

Simpsons Apocalypse GIF

Last edited:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t you point a finger at wholesalers instead. A large tank can easily get wiped out by velvet. Simply due to the fact that large tanks hold more fish and more disease prone fish.

Pair that with a beginner who can’t easily pick out healthy fish due to lack of experience and the dry rock trend and so on… which again has nothing to do with size of a tank. A larger tank fits more fish so more chances to screw it up with the wrong diseased fish.

Just step into the disease forums and see tanks of all sizes hit. Velvet doesn’t ask what size your tank is.

What about cyanide collecting?

What about poor shipping and handling?

When we talk about swings in nanos it relates to coral death and not so much fish.

Last edited:

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be blunt but I will....

Why does anyone buying anything and failing at it.....a concern for you?

I don't get concerned. It doesn't affect my world if someone buys an Achilles Tang and puts it in a 2gal fish bowl then adds gelatin powder

Just curious why you're so concerned....

Because these are LIVING BEINGS. Your selfish attitude is very off putting.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think tank size matters, i started with a nano and it was heaps easier! We all make mistakes thats part of learning. I dont think these so called "noobs" are intentionally killing there pets lol.

Instead of ******** how about offering some positive support to those who are new or having issues. Its easy to sit back and judge but really your not fixing anything with this post just coming off as a complete jerk lol

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes but you’re missing my point. Noobs think it’s easier to start with a nano. It’s not. Thus why they are a primary reason why these aquatic life forms constantly die due to their inexperience
In the past it was more difficult to keep a nano, I don’t think that’s true anymore. I think your entire premise is just completely off-base. People new to the hobby have lower livestock survival rates than people who are experienced, I don’t think tank size has anything to do with it. We see people here all the time with larger tanks that are having issues. Nano tanks are more common than larger tanks, which is why you probably think it’s an issue with nanos, but correlation is not causation. It’s great that you’re concerned about the well-being of the animals we keep, I am too, and I find the attitude of ‘it doesn’t affect your life so why do you care?’ to be rather cynical, but your entire premise is misguided and there’s just a real gatekeepy and classist tone to your comments.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be blunt but I will....

Why does anyone buying anything and failing at it.....a concern for you?

I don't get concerned. It doesn't affect my world if someone buys an Achilles Tang and puts it in a 2gal fish bowl then adds gelatin powder

Just curious why you're so concerned....

That sounds like terrible aquarium husbandry. :p

however because I want to debate on something. How does his/her/its opinion on nanos concern you to the point you need to respond? The same argument you used comes right back at you the second you criticize his/her/its opinion.

Reminds me of the old cliche: opinions and buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

Last edited:

Jlew766

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to comment then after reading some of the posts and the one who wrote the OP realized that it would be pointless and just feed the trolling nature and would just give the argument that people want. You can't argue a belief and everyone has thier own. Your feelings and beliefs shouldn't regulate mine and mine shouldn't regulate yours, whether we understand each other or not.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to comment then after reading some of the posts and the one who wrote the OP realized that it would be pointless and just feed the trolling nature and would just give the argument that people want. You can't argue a belief and everyone has thier own. Your feelings and beliefs shouldn't regulate mine and mine shouldn't regulate yours, whether we understand each other or not.
I agree. I had a a long typed out response and contribution and deleted it for the exact reason. I no longer engage in the battle of opinions. Now I just make smart butt funny comments looking for self validating likes to boost my self esteems.

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea. Then maybe so many innocent animals wouldn’t die.

I’ve gotta say that simply having a big tank means nothing. Yes you have more leeway with water parameters and fish selection, however it all comes down to the basics. If you cycle your tank, test water paramters, do water changes, there shouldn’t be a problem with otherwise healthy animals. Saying that by getting smaller tank noobs are killing animals is blatantly wrong, when in fact it is likely the Misinformation or lack of knowledge that they have. My first ever reef tank was a 10 gallon. I had a pair of occelairs clownfish. I put in sand, live rock, and bottled bacteria and then some ammonia. After it was cycled O had those fish for years until we had to move. You’re focusing on the wrong thing. The tank size is negligible if a noob has access to research and is willing to put in the work. Coral wise, it’s the exact same thing, even with sps.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's is eating fish once a week any different than a noobie TRYING to keep a tropical fish the best they can and failing 60 days in?

Animal PROCESSING to feed the masses in volume is much more cruel than accidentally killing a clown fish in a nano. But! Just my opinion....

With Beef and pork, the processing plant hangs the live animals up by the hind legs and cut their throats and they bleed out going along the conveyer line

Fishermen take live fish and throw them into a large ice tank in the haul of their boat where the fish went from happily swimming to being caught in a net to being thrown on ice to freeze and suffocate to death over 5-10 mins

The difference is one is being used for sustenance, the other is dying so you can amuse yourself by watching it. You’re assuming that the person you’re aiming this comment at eats meat and/or doesn’t find the cruelty of how meat reaches the table appalling. But also, this sort of ‘whataboutism’ is just lazy, is your argument really ‘well other animals are killed cruely, so who cares?’

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theirs fish that die in any tank size.. and the funny thing is? its because of the same issues... Cal/alk/salinity swings.. Velvet or a ick outbreak.. heater dies killing fish.. same things that kills nano tanks will kill a 1000G tank just as easy..

While nano tanks have faster swings in metrics.. a huge tank takes alot of money to keep dosing everythign to correct levels also requires more work as thats a heck of a water change and you also wont notice every little change in your tank with it being so large... you could have a dead tang in the back where you cant see dead and decaying becoming a ticking time bomb in a huge tank..

i for one find nanos more easy and have yet to have one crash on me. my only *dead fish* was 1 that jumped out of the tank when i had no lid everything else is alive and fine.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do noobs feel the need to buy nano tanks? Despite the massive amounts of research showing they should be utilized only by experienced reefers. Every single day I see on here some noob having trouble with their 5 or 10 gallon tank and their massive parameter swings…fish, coral, inverts, benificial algae…everything constantly dying. This is my opinion but aquatic life shouldn’t have to die/suffer because people feel the need to have a reef tank in their life for whatever reason. The main excuses I hear is “oh well I don’t have the money for a bigger tank” “well smaller equals less maintenance right?” “It’s easier for me to transport it”. All wrong. If you don’t have the money for a bigger tank and aren’t willing to put the dedication in to sustain a nano tank then don’t buy one at all. Save money and wait to buy a bigger tank. And smaller equals less maintenance…? Cmon. I think it’s time we normalize noobs getting into this hobby that’s it’s fine to buy bigger tanks and it never hurts to wait until you have the money to do so. My primary concern in this hobby is and always will be the proper preservation and sustainability of aquatic life that we put into our tanks. Every lifeform in our tanks is our responsibility. They shouldn’t have to die because people want a small tank on their night stand for “eye candy”.
I’ve got a 10 gallon tank and I’m rather experienced and obviously have had my fair share of problems. I think the idea that small tanks are far harder to maintain is, to me, rather overestimated. I live in southern Australia and the weather here is not hot for most of the year so that might play a significant part in evaporation but I think beginners don’t understand the benefits of lids. I’ve never lost a fish to osmotic shock in my 10 gallon. I’m just careful and observe the chemical makeup of my tank closely. From my experience with owning a 10 gallon tank, I’m very confident that frequent water changes and an understanding of evaporation based on where you live, combined with a well insulated lid should ensure your fish stay safe. As long as you aren’t neglectful I see no problem in encouraging beginners to start in the saltwater aquarium hobby regardless of tank size.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who sets up a tank, big or small, experienced or inexperienced is putting aquatic life at a risk of significant proportions more compared to living in their natural environment. There's blatant disregard for life and responsibility(which I think the the OP is trying to describe) and there's those who try their damnedest to create the perfect life outside the ocean for their livestock(most people here). Both sides experience significant losses. I'd be willing to bet a long term, experienced reefer kills much, much more than a noob who bails on their nano in less than a year.

I find it hard to point fingers in this hobby. We're all guilty of harboring life that would arguably be much happier and healthier outside of our glass cages.

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep it brief, but will comment because this is the one place I like to read (often without commenting).

It has already been mentioned, but it really comes down to approach. The topic itself is fair.

I personally look at it like coaching. You will have new people joining the ranks, sometimes with the wrong attitude, but it is always best to help them understand how to do things the right way and why (without being condescending, mean, or rude). It can be tiring because of the regular influx of new people, but if you can’t add to the discussion in a meaningful way, then just move along instead of just “observing the problem without a path forward”.

At the end of the day, we can all relate to trying something new and being a “noob”. The name itself can be off putting to some people.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes but you’re missing my point. Noobs think it’s easier to start with a nano. It’s not. Thus why they are a primary reason why these aquatic life forms constantly die due to their inexperience
We're you never a noob? You did it and still do perfectly everyday, all the time. That type of motivation is why noobs quit, instead of bashing on people, why not try to help, since you're Aquaman.

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do noobs feel the need to buy nano tanks? Despite the massive amounts of research showing they should be utilized only by experienced reefers. Every single day I see on here some noob having trouble with their 5 or 10 gallon tank and their massive parameter swings…fish, coral, inverts, benificial algae…everything constantly dying. This is my opinion but aquatic life shouldn’t have to die/suffer because people feel the need to have a reef tank in their life for whatever reason. The main excuses I hear is “oh well I don’t have the money for a bigger tank” “well smaller equals less maintenance right?” “It’s easier for me to transport it”. All wrong. If you don’t have the money for a bigger tank and aren’t willing to put the dedication in to sustain a nano tank then don’t buy one at all. Save money and wait to buy a bigger tank. And smaller equals less maintenance…? Cmon. I think it’s time we normalize noobs getting into this hobby that’s it’s fine to buy bigger tanks and it never hurts to wait until you have the money to do so. My primary concern in this hobby is and always will be the proper preservation and sustainability of aquatic life that we put into our tanks. Every lifeform in our tanks is our responsibility. They shouldn’t have to die because people want a small tank on their night stand for “eye candy”.
Can we see your build thread to see how a professional does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back