It’s kinda disturbing seeing how many noobs kill aquatic life with their nano tanks….

Status
Not open for further replies.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shame on the people who even answered this thread . Its existence was to do exactly what's happening right now .

Cry About It Captain Kirk GIF

JoeReefinGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also add that there could also be some bias in the data. I'm sure a good portion of noob deaths/issues/mistakes are only brought to attention here because people find the forum when googling for answers to their problems. I wouldn't say people who researched heavily on youtube and this forum (and other forums) would find it incredibly difficult to setup and run a nano tank. But that could also just be my bias .

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does everyone take things so personal now adays? The op makes a valid point. I started with a 20 long and I will say personally that it would've been easier to start with a 50g+.

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the thing. If you see a Noob as you say, killing things and struggling then why not help and give advice. Isn't that what this forum is all about?

We have all been new to reefing at one point or another. This hobby has enough sour apples as it is, i personally would and have tried as much as i can when i see those having issues and struggling to help.

Even if its a quick Facetime call to see the system and give advice on what can be changed and what to do next.

We all need to help each other in this hobby.

Now, i agree, not everyone does massive research but that could also be because they get sometimes wrong advice from the 16 year old working at the LFS. That's when we need to come in, and help as much as we can.

Coar Help GIF by COARSE UI 2019

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame on the people who even answered this thread . Its existence was to do exactly what's happening right now .

Cry About It Captain Kirk GIF
I think it’s important to bring light to certain issues. Undoubtedly a thread such as this will bring traction which is why you also replied. I’m very glad that people recognise that owning a small tank can be just as easy as owning a large tank provided you are on a regular schedule regarding maintenance. To not reply to such threads means that certain people who may be genuine in their approach continue in this hobby thinking certain aspects are on way when they aren’t.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, you finally caught us eh! Thats right, its not the people that don't know how to cycle their tanks properly, its not the people that QT or no QT, its not the people that keep flame angels in 20 gallon tanks, its us evil nano tank owners that are killing all the fish. Its great news for the Canadian gov't, they were considering to ban wild caught fish and inverts, now they only have to ban nano tanks. The world's problems are now solved, thank you

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does everyone take things so personal now adays? The op makes a valid point. I started with a 20 long and I will say personally that it would've been easier to start with a 50g+.
I think it all depends on a multifaceted equation. Some may take offence because they haven’t had success or because they have had great success. I think taking offence though is a mistake as people will automatically become defensive and comfortable debate is rather difficult. I personally have had great success and whether you agree or disagree with the thread, I think helpful encouragement or subtle disagreement is definitely the best mode of reply.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just working on the requirements here:

Do you live in an apartment? --Sorry, you aren't allowed to have a reef tank.
You don't have room for a 100 gal. tank. --Sorry, you aren't allowed to have a reef tank.
You can't afford a 100 gal tank. --Sorry, you aren't allowed to have a reef tank.

Let's get these losers who can't afford a big tank or don't have room for it out of here! Who do they think they are? People say we are trolling them? Well they deserve it! Get out of the hobby you small tank idiots! When can we get these entry requirements printed up? Dumb morons who don't make more money.

I just wanted to make sure I was clear on how this works.

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The reason people have taken this personally is because of the OPs passive aggressive tone.

If they wanted to help improve their personal, perceived, belief of the situation then they could have started an educational discussion. Instead they went on an immediate rant of ‘noobs’ (a term which has been used in this context as an offensive/aggressive way to stereotype inexperienced reefers as dummies) and berate them for killing fish. At the same time attacking Nano owners, as clearly we’re not worthy to be reefers without an ocean sized tank in our homes.

I’m done with this thread. It’s achieving nothing other than pitching people against each other in some non-existent confrontation.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these kind of posts are good for the hobby. People can be passionate about their positions in a debate without it becoming personal. And then we all have the benefit at learning from other members of the hobby and seeing a wide range of opinions. I see mixed opinions on here which surprises me with the popularity of the fluval evo. If the op didn't post this I would've thought "noobs" starting with nanos is more accepted now.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yes but you’re missing my point. Noobs think it’s easier to start with a nano. It’s not. Thus why they are a primary reason why these aquatic life forms constantly die due to their inexperience
I only read some of this thread so far but I had to respond. I was a noob when I started and I only killed 2-3 corals and my first batch of fish died from ich. I felt horrible but it has since led me to set up a QT system and I’m doing much better.

Also many people start off with a nano because they want to be sure they want to continue this hobby. Many people quit within the first year and imagine spending 5k+ on a “bigger” system just to sell it all later. I myself started with a 20g although I knew I wanted and could have went bigger but it just wasn’t feasible in a apartment we’d be moving out of in a year or two.

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do noobs feel the need to buy nano tanks? Despite the massive amounts of research showing they should be utilized only by experienced reefers. Every single day I see on here some noob having trouble with their 5 or 10 gallon tank and their massive parameter swings…fish, coral, inverts, benificial algae…everything constantly dying. This is my opinion but aquatic life shouldn’t have to die/suffer because people feel the need to have a reef tank in their life for whatever reason. The main excuses I hear is “oh well I don’t have the money for a bigger tank” “well smaller equals less maintenance right?” “It’s easier for me to transport it”. All wrong. If you don’t have the money for a bigger tank and aren’t willing to put the dedication in to sustain a nano tank then don’t buy one at all. Save money and wait to buy a bigger tank. And smaller equals less maintenance…? Cmon. I think it’s time we normalize noobs getting into this hobby that’s it’s fine to buy bigger tanks and it never hurts to wait until you have the money to do so. My primary concern in this hobby is and always will be the proper preservation and sustainability of aquatic life that we put into our tanks. Every lifeform in our tanks is our responsibility. They shouldn’t have to die because people want a small tank on their night stand for “eye candy”.
Wot a nob u are

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do noobs feel the need to buy nano tanks? Despite the massive amounts of research showing they should be utilized only by experienced reefers. Every single day I see on here some noob having trouble with their 5 or 10 gallon tank and their massive parameter swings…fish, coral, inverts, benificial algae…everything constantly dying. This is my opinion but aquatic life shouldn’t have to die/suffer because people feel the need to have a reef tank in their life for whatever reason. The main excuses I hear is “oh well I don’t have the money for a bigger tank” “well smaller equals less maintenance right?” “It’s easier for me to transport it”. All wrong. If you don’t have the money for a bigger tank and aren’t willing to put the dedication in to sustain a nano tank then don’t buy one at all. Save money and wait to buy a bigger tank. And smaller equals less maintenance…? Cmon. I think it’s time we normalize noobs getting into this hobby that’s it’s fine to buy bigger tanks and it never hurts to wait until you have the money to do so. My primary concern in this hobby is and always will be the proper preservation and sustainability of aquatic life that we put into our tanks. Every lifeform in our tanks is our responsibility. They shouldn’t have to die because people want a small tank on their night stand for “eye candy”.
A "noob" is going to have trouble with their tank regardless if it's 20 gallons or 200 gallons. I prefer my 29 gallon over my 180 because a 10% water change is 3 gallons. It's so much easier to maintain as apposed to 20 gallon water changes every week when my mixing station is on the opposite side of the house and a floor below. If you want to keep fish happy and healthy no one should own an aquarium. Experienced or not. This was an absolute useless topic only made to start an argument

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason people have taken this personally is because of the OPs passive aggressive tone.

If they wanted to help improve their personal, perceived, belief of the situation then they could have started an educational discussion. Instead they went on an immediate rant of ‘noobs’ (a term which has been used in this context as an offensive/aggressive way to stereotype inexperienced reefers as dummies) and berate them for killing fish. At the same time attacking Nano owners, as clearly we’re not worthy to be reefers without an ocean sized tank in our homes.

I’m done with this thread. It’s achieving nothing other than pitching people against each other in some non-existent confrontation.
I think sometimes when people have a derisive tone in their postings, it’s because they may have observed very negative experiences regarding their post so they may have seen many nano tanks with the problems he’s describing. However, I do agree that such a tone will immediately set people toward a defensive road that may be more about aggression rather than the topic at hand. I also think that whether you have seen good or bad versions of your description, you need a rather wide berth of experience before you use platitudes so overall I definitely agree with you.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do noobs feel the need to buy nano tanks? Despite the massive amounts of research showing they should be utilized only by experienced reefers. Cmon. I think it’s time we normalize noobs getting into this hobby that’s it’s fine to buy bigger tanks and it never hurts to wait until you have the money to do so. My primary concern in this hobby is and always will be the proper preservation and sustainability of aquatic life that we put into our tanks. Every lifeform in our tanks is our responsibility. They shouldn’t have to die because people want a small tank on their night stand for “eye candy”.
Beginners are beginners, no matter what hobby or subject.

What are you going to do to help normalize noobs or do you only want to stand on a soapbox and complain?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how people justify killing fish with “trial and error” why doesn’t that apply to newborns? This website shows that fish are still not seen as pets like dogs and cats are.
That really comes down to price, people will spend over $1000 on a dog and give it everything it needs. A $20 fish can just be replaced with another $20 fish. I don't want to see fish prices=dog prices, but I do believe its one of the biggest reasons people treat fish as expendable things :(

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reading this at 1:00 am last night but fell asleep. Now that I am all caught up, I'd like to say that I agree it is pointless to argue about people's opinions or beliefs. They are what they are, and they most likely won't be changed. However, I would like to add my own experience into the conversation as another data point.

I have been "reefing" for 2+ years. I would still consider myself a noob. I started this journey with a 55 gallon and HOB filter, upgraded to a RSR350, and then upgraded to a 180-gallon custom. I also started a 30 gallon AIO 1 year and nine months ago, so basically, I've had these two systems running similar amounts of time. The 30 gallon is cheaper, has less maintenance, and overall seems to be thriving more. I have lost one fish in the 30 and one colony of zoas. With the upgraded system, I have lost eight fish and too many to count corals.

Now, in my opinion, based on my experiences. I see the biggest issue is not with tank size, money available, or time in the hobby. It is instead with people's willingness to ask questions and to heed the advice. A person who is open to people's opinions and learning will be successful with any size tank. A person who thinks of themselves as an expert and refuses to take advice will enviably fail.

Stain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in an apartment and have a 20 with a 20 sump. I've had big tanks, but this 'nano shart box' has been my easiest to maintain tank yet, and its just sps and a couple fish. A massive reef tank does not fall on my radar of 'want'. Now a 5000gal blackwater amazon biotope, count me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back