It’s snowing in my tank…what are these?

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey smart folks.

My tank has been clean for the most part but recently I have been lazy due to having a baby and remodeling a house I bought. During the time I noticed some white dots attached to the back of the aquarium and also in the skimmer section. Well fast forward 5-6months and the white dots are EVERWHERE in my sump. I recently finally moved and the tank is in the garage with a wall AC so water temps are around 86 degrees. Also I would assume nitrates are high as well due to no water changes and being late on filter sock changes.

anywho. What do you guys think these are? It looks ugly and hard to scrape off. How do I get rid of them before they take over.
1F72F152-8A59-4CFA-8538-FEEEF3E60055.jpeg

9A40EDDE-EB1D-45B2-B2C3-F2AA551F8174.jpeg
1656C0C6-CFAF-4D31-8E27-6B745F2D6D88.jpeg

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium deposits?
Just use an old credit card and they scrape of easily, then you can siphon it out.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is the only way to remove them to scrape them off? No other way? Like they are ALL over. You can see the bottom of the return pump compartment.
You could add a predator but manual removal works the best.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the only way to remove them to scrape them off? No other way? Like they are ALL over. You can see the bottom of the return pump compartment.
Nope, gotta scrape em. They come off easy. Old credit card works well on flat surfaces.

OP
OP
Reefacist

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add a predator but manual removal works the best.

Nope, gotta scrape em. They come off easy. Old credit card works well on flat surfaces.
After I scrape them off won’t they just fall to the bottom of the tank or just reattach? Or once I scrape them they die off?
Also I’m about to set up my xxl 750. How can I make sure I don’t transfer them without having to bleach everything?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After I scrape them off won’t they just fall to the bottom of the tank or just reattach? Or once I scrape them they die off?
Also I’m about to set up my xxl 750. How can I make sure I don’t transfer them without having to bleach everything?
Scrape them off and siphon them out.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Normal thing in every tank. How bad it gets all depends on how your upkeep on then is. Sometimes after time it can die off. The key is to find the source of the nutrients that is feeding them all to grow so much and lower it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really aren't a big deal. They will probably disappear after a while when their food source is reduced or another filter feeder species outcompetes them for food.

I get "blooms"/"outbreaks" of collonistas, limpets, chiton, spirobids, tiny feather dusters, etc... Never a problem, just good diversity in our tanks :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back