It crys, poops and needs to be fed! How many have you SHUT DOWN?

How many frag tanks have you set up and eventually dismantled for different reasons?

• NONE because I don't need the extra work

Votes: 258 52.8%
  • NONE because I'm comitted

Votes: 85 17.4%
  • 1-2

Votes: 94 19.2%
  • 2-3

Votes: 28 5.7%
  • 3-4

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • 5+

Votes: 13 2.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok literally and not literally with the opening thread title but please read on!

Frag tanks seem like a fun way to grow some cute little baby corals, lol, and to also scratch an itch to set up a new tank. But I can't help but think that more times than not that they get shut down because they are not well thought out or we forget that they will need maintaining just like our main display.

It's like buying a little puppy because it's cute but forgetting that it will poop, cry and need to be fed! :p

How many frag tanks have you set up and eventually dismantled because it was too much work or for other various reasons?

VOTE and then tell us about your experience.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never set one up, but I'm hoping to in the future :)

Rufus’ goofs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a tank to be a little frag tank/ invert QT. Turned into a nano mixed reef. To be fair, it was only a frag tank for a week or two at most, so I’m not quite sure if I qualify.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an IM 14g peninsula that I'm kinda transforming into a frag tank. Still have a sand bed and live rock in it but all corals are on racks. I've added Marine Pure to the middle chamber and I'll be removing the live rock and sand eventually and adding more marine pure sheets in place of the sand bed. Going slow tho because it's stable with water changes only right now.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, because no room.

Frankly I prefer to have the frag system plumbed into the display. I get the whole separate system thing -- But you should be able to inspect for anything on frags before dipping. So no real need unless you don't inspect.

EDIT: I feel it's worth saying, the only time I didn't expect something I put into my tank was chaeto awhile ago... Guess where planaria was hiding? -_-

The good news is after dumping like 3 bottles of FWE into the tank without success, I got a leopard wrasse just incase it might help. I now have planaria and a plumb little leopard that keeps searching for 'em.

Last edited:

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just setup my first large frag system today :D

25359676_1670594403001326_1770632320_n.jpg

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting poll question..

Way back in 2005 I started with a 15g nano reef. That eventually became my frag tank. During the initial aussie acan craze I was able to trade a polyp or 2 for a nice 48x18x8 frag tank, it was basically 1/3rd of a 90g. I used that for years and really wish I still had it. I recently started up a 55g frag tank which is the worst size imaginable. The only reasons I'm using it now are I had the tank on hand, the frags I'm putting in there are just stuff that is overgrowing my display. Before going with the stupid 55g I considered a 10g plumbed into DT which is what would fit in my stand. I didn't go this route because I prefer frag system to be separate even if it's more work. It's good to have another system in case of emergency.

Hopefully in a few years I'll move on to frag tank number 4. I don't need it now, but hopefully eventually I will. If I need a big frag tank it means everything is doing great in my display and I probably got a bigger display tank as well :)

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a qt/frag tank that I had to dismantle to make space for the Christmas tree. Lol! It’ll be going back up after my move in March though. Wasn’t due to lack of interest in it. Just good ol apartment life. Hahaha

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on my 6th. My system is a total of about 300 gallons. 100 gallon display about to be a 225 display. Sump is in the basement and so is the frag tank(s). I started with a DB 30 rimless, out grew that and went to a DB 60 rimless. Picked up a DB 80 - set that up but it had a rim. My stand was to high and it did not work well. At the same time I had a 75 plumbed in the basement also that I used for larger pieces to grow out. So fast forward getting ready for my upgrade I purchased a new sump as I was moving to another wall of the basement for plumbing reasons, and at that time did a 80 rimless non reef ready as I put in a overflow on the back wall with duel returns.

Today I picked up a system from a buddy that is a 30 rimless. I am thinking about setting it up as a standalone or maybe plumbing it in for just frags as most of my 80 is now colonies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back