It decimated your tank but you're still here to tell about it! So tell us about it!

Have you ever had an algae outbreak so bad that you had to break the tank down and start over?

• Yes

Votes: 120 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 466 69.1%
  • Having a major outbreak right now and I'm considering it

Votes: 60 8.9%
  • I've never had algae and my name is Pinocchio

Votes: 28 4.2%

• Total voters

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryopsis. Didnt quite overrun tank but it was getting there. I pulled it all out with rocks out of the water, and brushed them all clean. RIght after I got a bunch of mexican turbos. I dont have bry anymore. THere are little patches where they cant reach. I have seen them eat it. I keep a good pile of chaeto growing (always have even when I had a lot of bry) to keep nutirents down as much as I can and farily good skimming (same as when I had the bry) Only difference was the Mex turbos.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never believe in that if I can't figure out my algae problem now, starting over will automatically cause that problem never come again. The only way out to not solving it sooner or later is quit the hobby.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just removed some macro algae growing on some rocks and frags on a tank I have going fallow. Some other strange critters showing up lately as well. But that's for a different thread.

astraycat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just Flucanozole'd the bryopsis in my tank and the bryopsis got destroyed. If that hadn't worked I'd definitely be thinking about breaking down the tank.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
considered it, had a dino bloom 2 yrs ago that killed several corals and a few fish. That was a nightmare to get under control.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PhreeByrd

I wanted to up the challenge for you a bit. I noticed you joined our work thread and gave literally zero helpful corrective steps, vs just negating our work.

you are able to create your own works threads -where results are being tracked- live time

The way you battle a claim is by posting alternate work with better outcomes, that’s the hard way to make ground. The easy way is just listing ways something won’t work. It allows you to make a post, then leave with no accountability

I specifically invite you to accomplish 1 work thread, where you list actual steps someone makes to get their tank back, and we watch you work live time where help is needed.

By the end of the week, I expect you as a contributor and critic in this thread to source out your own work example, sell someone on participation, and then log your work.

If you don’t, then that’s 100% what I expect.

If you do, you earn valuable experience

what's it going to be

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I find to be an interesting pattern from work threads:

We always focus on killing it or starving algae or measures that cause it

It's rare to focus on places it cannot be in the reef or places heavily selected against, then boost those.

Anyone ever seen a single example of algae attached to the bubble portion of a plerogyra bubble coral

How about a trachyphyllia brain coral, ever once see in all of reefing algae or bryopsis attached to the lobe flesh

How about caulastrea candy canes, ever seen the bright green heads have algae or is it always the edges or skeleton

Planting corals strategically and feeding them to put them in positive mass mode is an anti algae step if they're scaped in ways that take up real estate shoulder to shoulder.

It's always basal skeleton or exposed septal lobes where algae anchors, coral flesh is a near perfect excluder. Fescue excludes dandelions quite well, bare spots in lawns get dandelions. so the pattern is most invaded tanks have open primary space not being used by a more fitting organism

Zoanthid flesh doesn't count, you might find a Pepsi can in those.

Coralline
Look at real live rock threads and notice where the gha anchor points are, at the plating interesections of coralline over live rock but not usually on top of coralline.

Ergo
Focus on coralline and coral flesh, and good params, and low detritus and nice grazers, you're using patterns to prevent loss.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just Flucanozole'd the bryopsis in my tank and the bryopsis got destroyed. If that hadn't worked I'd definitely be thinking about breaking down the tank.
Yep. Same. I love fluconazole.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple years back I had this annoying bubble algae outbreak and fortunately I had someone brought in from Michigan a bottle of the Vibrant. Took a couple of dosage not with standing some cyano attack and after a short while it eradicated the bubbles. Now I see the bubbles appearing here and there and I gotta grab myself a bottle of Vibrant soon.

I do have some hair algae only found on my DIY white egg crate close to the surface of the water ... other than that no other form of algae found elsewhere.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crucial update to this thread
-be clicking in the nuisance algae forum note the new work requests since the start of this thread. Entrants here must must must be putting in time seeing through recoveries there or our overall hobby experience is 30% of the whole truth about tank wrecking invasions.

I think people should collect and have avail specific tank threads where they restored a system, a log of complete jobs. Only that action keeps our claims balanced, and in check

Not two posts we made on a challenge tank with no commit...a thread where someone fixed the -whole thing- and -stayed- for follow ups.

Being able to control, stop, reverse tank-wrecking invasions in others tanks is the core practice we all require so that work request thread requests get slower and stop amassing like they do. what worked for us seems like a solid referral until it's tried for someone else and either works or requires an alternate method, I'm hoping we get a bunch of saved tanks and direct participation there using the recommends here.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back