It Has Begun... 465 Gallons of financial insanity ;)

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently I started my build thread in the wrong place...sorry about that! I've linked it here (it's also in my signature):

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/it-has-begun.607730/#post-6187451

Anyways, the short version is:

Custom Euro-Braced Glass Aquarium from @Crystal Reef Aquatics (special shout-out to Mike O'Brien for enabling this terrible financial choice ;-) ) Due in late August/early September 2019.

Dimensions: 108"x36"x30" Peninsula-Style

Jeremy R aquarium v6.jpg

Filtering Method/Philosophy: Triton Method (Sump/Fuge/Skimmer) w/ NSW (live in SD California so Scripps NSW is avail for free) vs
Plankton-Friendly, Non-Mechanical Biological Filter (TBD)

Lighting: Still mulling this one over, latest thought is Hamilton Cozumel Sun 400W MH Pendants x3 combined with Kessil A360X Tuna Blues

Water-Flow: Combo of EcoTech VorTech MP60s and Maxspect Gyres

Overall Plans/Philosophy: I want it all, SPS, beautiful fat and happy fishes, some LPS, interesting inverts, clams and as much microfauna biodiversity that I can get without killing everything off. Eventually down the line in the years to come, I would like to branch out into NPS and filter feeders.

Yes, I will undoubtedly regret some decisions I make, but my hope is that the good will far out-weigh the bad, and that you all will join in me in my journey down the rabbit-hole of modern reef-keeping!

Billfromtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is going to be a big tank! Good luck with it. I will be following along!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is now officially official, June 22nd 2019 the first piece of equipment has arrived... Obv have a ways to go but, there's no turning back now! Also, I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOOVE this light and can't wait to string 'em all together! PS, do NOT turn it on when the LED is facing you and the intensity is set to max. Pretty sure the dang thing just burned a hole in my retina LoL. #newkessilfanboy #neverclaimedtobesmart

IMG_0958.JPG

Starting to really get a sense of the true scale of this monstrosity :eek:

IMG_0957.JPG

Glamour shot... even the packaging is smart and sexy... ;Snaphappy

IMG_0964.JPG

Fish-eye view... ;Joyful

IMG_0967.JPG

Another sexy glamour shot... ;Drool. Did I already say that I'm absolutely 100% in love with this light?!?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: Just a quick one, it's been a little over a month and after a structural evaluation, had to change the location and orientation of the tank from a room-divider peninsula, to a more traditional against-the-wall style w/ an open top and external overflow. Also, the stand has arrived! So it's gettin real yo! Other than that, the stand has arrived, and I'm starting to finalize my equipment list:

Lighting:

Hamilton Technology Cozumel Sun 400W MH Pendant x3
Kessil A360X LED Pendant x2

Filtering:

Sump (size, brand, TBD)
Protein Skimmer (TBD)
Pentair Aquatics Smart HO 80W UV Sterilizer
EcoTech Marine Vectra M2 DC Return Pump
1500GPH DC Power Filter Pump

Water Movement:

EcoTech VorTech MP60WQD Powerheads x4
Maxspect Gyre XF350 x2

Chemistry:

Full DSR Method
Dosing Pumps (4 Heads, TBD)
Tunze ATO System (Any ideas how large of reservoir I may need)

Heating & Cooling:

Titanium Heaters
DIY Computer Case Fans

Automation:

Neptune APEX Controller

If any of you have used these pieces of equipment, or have any suggestions and/or recommendations please let me know!

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the DOS a hard look since you have an Apex. I bought 2 when they first came out and another shortly afterward. They've treated me well for dosing Triton, at least for a few months before their supply drought, for running the calcium reactor that I swapped to , and for my ATO and AWC.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the DOS a hard look since you have an Apex. I bought 2 when they first came out and another shortly afterward. They've treated me well for dosing Triton, at least for a few months before their supply drought, for running the calcium reactor that I swapped to , and for my ATO and AWC.

I will definitely do that thank you.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the funds, you may want to consider either a Red Dragon, or Abyzz for your return pump. The Ecotechs are pretty much garbage. I had one fail and almost toast my tank right before going on vacation. Ecotech replaced it, but it's on the shelf now. There are many reports of this happening to others too. I switched to Abyzz which are MUCH better quality... I would rather go with a good AC pump than the Vectra's

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the funds, you may want to consider either a Red Dragon, or Abyzz for your return pump. The Ecotechs are pretty much garbage. I had one fail and almost toast my tank right before going on vacation. Ecotech replaced it, but it's on the shelf now. There are many reports of this happening to others too. I switched to Abyzz which are MUCH better quality... I would rather go with a good AC pump than the Vectra's

Whoa, that Abyzz pump is $$$ but from the reviews, I guess you get what you pay for. On-balance, I guess when you compare the price of the livestock investment to the price of the pump, it makes more sense. I don't mind spending extra for quality, but man, that def would blow through an already stretched budget.

Is there anything that bridges the quality gap between the two? EcoTech Vectra vs Abyzz?

jamie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently I started my build thread in the wrong place...sorry about that! I've linked it here (it's also in my signature):

Custom Euro-Braced Glass Aquarium from @Crystal Reef Aquatics (special shout-out to Mike O'Brien for enabling this terrible financial choice ;-) ) Due in late August/early September 2019.

Jeremy R aquarium v6.jpg

Filtering Method/Philosophy: Triton Method (Sump/Fuge/Skimmer) w/ NSW (live in SD California so Scripps NSW is avail for free) vs

Lighting: Still mulling this one over, latest thought is Hamilton Cozumel Sun 400W MH Pendants x3 combined with Kessil A360X Tuna Blues

Overall Plans/Philosophy: I want it all, SPS, beautiful fat and happy fishes, some LPS, interesting inverts, clams and as much microfauna biodiversity that I can get without killing everything off. Eventually down the line in the years to come, I would like to branch out into NPS and filter feeders.

Yes, I will undoubtedly regret some decisions I make, but my hope is that the good will far out-weigh the bad, and that you all will join in me in my journey down the rabbit-hole of modern reef-keeping!
I can not even begin to express my jealousy..... im super stoked for you!

ibondy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering how close you will be sitting next to the tank, I would forget 400W MH. Been there, done that. :) Would highly recommend going with LED only. Looking forward following your build.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering how close you will be sitting next to the tank, I would forget 400W MH. Been there, done that. :) Would highly recommend going with LED only. Looking forward following your build.

That ship has already sailed... purchased and waiting for my pick up ;). Though I had to move it from its original location to against a far wall per the structural engineer so, spill-over shouldn't be a huge concern. Also, those power-hungry MHs will all by off by 4pm every day anyways... dang time of use metering *thumbs down*

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jeremy R aquarium v6.jpg

Better incorporate, Delaware cheapest. Before you keep going. For the write off's. Heeee

Back