Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple, when content using political buzz words and phrases to exaggerate a point, never ever ever ends well for the thread. :)
But the threads do tend to be ended! ;)

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question - since you are a moderator I hope you will answer, though I can see why you might not. In situations like this - (even if I'm an offender because I said 'animal rights activists' (which some may construe as political)), it would be helpful to know what you consider to be 'political content'. It is somewhat unclear the content that you had a problem with. That leaves the user with a question - was it me - or the one that said California should drop off the ocean or the one that brought up the gun debate, etc, etc etc. (I personally haven't seen any content I would consider 'political') but I may have missed some.

Simple, when content using political buzz words and phrases to exaggerate a point, never ever ever ends well for the thread. :)

She's talking to me. :oops:

I will say it's quite difficult to debate a topic like this , (law &legislation) , without discussing politics as it is by nature a political discussion.
Sorry.

Fwiw, the only reason I'm pro Ca sliding off into the ocean is becuse then I'll only have to drive 15 min to the beach. West OR East. :p

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another good example of the government becoming our mommies. If I want to buy a pure breed dog thats my business. If I want a shelter dog that too is my business. Get you grubby mitts out of my life government.

Lets all buy jack hammers and send California out into the Pacific Ocean.
You do realize that if your main concern is getting whatever you want, whatever you want it, instead of considering the other lives involved... that seems a tad selfish does it not? I mean, I get why you resent the government and all, but SOME laws truly are there for a reason. This isn't about the government trying to control your life, it's about the animals welfare. If you don't care about that, well ****... just ignore me.

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw another unintended consequence of this law in the news recently. If I remember correctly, she had a pet that needed emergency care. She skipped work for a few days to take care of the pet. I believe she was suing her employer for paid time off (but may have been fired and was suing to get hired back) because she would have been in violation of this law had she allowed her dog to suffer by not taking the time off.

Yep. Although my favourite story regarding this law was the guy who started taking his parrot to work with him... when he was challenged by his boss, he stated not doing so would be causing potential suffering to the parrot, which would be illegal. The story goes that each time the guy left for work the parrot would start shouting obscenities... this was loud enough to annoy neighbours and one had threatened to break into his house and kill the parrot!! There was nothing in the rules and regs at his workplace stating employees couldn't bring pets with them...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You do realize that if your main concern is getting whatever you want, whatever you want it, instead of considering the other lives involved... that seems a tad selfish does it not? I mean, I get why you resent the government and all, but SOME laws truly are there for a reason. This isn't about the government trying to control your life, it's about the animals welfare. If you don't care about that, well ****... just ignore me.

Just to be clear from my point of view, the issue is not that the government makes laws to protect animals. The problem in this case is the government is making a ‘feel good’ law that says look we’re doing something. I think this law won’t accomplish much and will hurt some innocent people. I was old support a much stronger law to get rid of the problem (puppy mills and people who buy and ot breed dogs without realizing it’s a huge financial and time commitment. Not something to just give up on the first time it ruins a carpet or whatever

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow a lot of posts here. Looks like a sensitive issue (I know it is for me).

At a point though, it does become a health and safety issue and a financial issue for the public. So what would be the solution?
That's the core of if my interests really.
If as the studies showed, one of the Problems is too many animals as shelters and rescues is costing to much to support a no kill policy, what would be the solution?
Add funding to shelters and reinstate more kill policies?

Yeah it's all positive, what you say and for the most part I either agree or I see your point and where you're coming from. (meaning there's no absolute definition of a certain action that can solve all the particular problems across the board because situations and problems seem to be way more dynamic)
If you ask me the root cause is primarily the pet owners. I judge it this way: people are either a greater percent service to self or a greater percent service to others. That basically calls out how much they will put up with and how far they will go for 'an animal'. My take is when someone goes out and buys a pet, it's a lifetime commitment. If you're not ready for that, just be honest with yourself in the first place and leave animals out of your life. (and not preaching, just saying that people should own their commitments) It's just another area that people in general need to become more aware of.

And I also agree with a lot of the posters here even though sometimes their viewpoints seem to be contradictory, on the surface. Me personally, I basically try to do whatever I can. I don't want to sidetrack the thread but keep in mind I'm in the Philippines and wow is it rough on dogs and cats here. I'm just following along here and checking out how people feel. Nice to be around people who care about animals. Just sayin'.

Another solution is more than one household taking care of a stray animal. It happens here where a village cat is fed by many houses in the neighborhood. It's an idea that could be organized.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No surprise if they taking next step to aquarium fish keeping hobby, it's none related to California Law but there are few countries in South America already BANNED the fish exporting out of their countries. There is an Organization (I forgot their name) of animal/fish right that succeeded to make Walmart stop selling GSP (Green spotted Puffer) fish in their store. Also, Petco in my area already stop selling marine fish, they're closed down the marine fish section, and same thing happen for Petsmart.

It's illegal in the Philippines to sell coral commercially (like in a store). So far, there hasn't been any crackdown on people keeping corals in their reef systems. My point is yeah it can happen. And it can happen anywhere, probably even in the US if there isn't enough people or a hard enough push to stop it.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He always has been. But the people of California continue to re-elect him.
There are a number of reasons why dogs are in shelters or rescues. Some will make a good pet and some will not. I am not interested in ever buying a dog with known medical problems or that will die in a year because of old age. Many of these dogs do need put to sleep.Last German Shepard I purchased was from a police dog breeder. They breed and train them as various types of police dogs, attack dogs, drug dogs ect but they will also sell them as pets. This is another law that penalizes responsible people and does not actually address the problem. They want to control the actions of every person even if it does not fix the problem. I have tried a couple of rescue dogs and learned why they were there. do not believe this law will fix anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back