It really is an addiction…

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Aiden and I have a problem…

just kidding, sort of. Hello everyone! To preface I have tried and tried to get out of the hobby a couple times now but I guess I just can’t fight it. I’m meant to glue live animals to rocks and burn money on salt.

I’m here to learn from and share my experience with the community and I really want my tiny tank to thrive. Right now I’ve got a small (but mighty) 5 gallon DT. I’m constantly on here but it’s time to actually join the community. No pictures of the tank yet because I don’t wanna blind y’all’s eyes with the blue. Filters coming soon hopefully!

My AIO 5 gallon fluval evo V has the following upgrades/equipment:
- inTank media basket with floss, ceramic, and in the future maybe chemipure blue.
- Kraken reef lid with feeding cup attachment.
- AI Prime HD running pirates of the carribean (was looking at Aaron Young’s Palancar as well)
- some sort of Egg crate mat to balance rocks on and stick frags into
- some frag stands for the substrate level corals I don’t want getting beat up by the sand moving around
- generic 50 watt heater —> eventually will upgrade to an ink bird with titanium heater or something with a separate temp probe.
- generic wave maker —> hoping to save up for a Nero 3 but also really like the Jebao SLW 10, I wish the SCP series fit but it’s just too small of a tank.
- 7lb ish of Rock, adding more tiny islands as we go
- less than 1” sand bed (more for aesthetics than beneficial)
- for salt I default to Red Sea Coral Pro but was kindly gifted Reef Crystals by someone during the holidays. (They aren’t in the hobby at all and don’t know much about salt mixes and spent too much $$$ on the 45lb bucket of it) so we’re gonna be running that for awhile. #gratitude

When I test, I use the Red Sea marine care test kit, Hanna salinity checker, and Hanna ULR phosphate checker. That being said I only check Salinity every other day right now and do weekly 30% water changes.

I’m looking into getting an ATO soon but it’s silly looking to have a 5 gallon ATO res for a 5 gallon display. Especially when I do water changes to keep up with the elements.

LFS(s) I buy from keep their tanks around 1.024 so that’s where I keep mine. Corals seem very happy and puffy so I haven’t tested other params since adding them.

In the past I was constantly chasing numbers and that ultimately led me to giving up other hobbies to have “pristine tank conditions”, in theory this is fine but it wasn’t practical and I felt bad for it. this time around I want to enjoy my tank and just keep my hands out of it as much as possible. It’s only as complicated as you make it right?

Live Stock:
- powder blue tang
- long horned cow fish

JUST KIDDING all my coral and softies are just little frags right now but I’m very proud of them anyway:
- a red and orange variety of Acan Lords
- FL ricordia shroom
- meteor shower cyphastrea

And as of 1/10/2023 pending from a recent order:
- snakeskin purple torch (1 head)
- bluish colored hammer (1 head)
- zoa frag with some Gatorade polyps on it. (Never done Zoas so we’ll see how this goes)

I know it’s EXTREMELY hard to stock just a small tank when it comes to fish, shrimp and CUC so I’m looking for recommendations. My wife would like some kind of creature besides coral.

I spot feed everyone benepets coral food, just seems a little cleaner than when I did reef roids. Same powdery consistency and corals seem to love the stuff. (Once I get heavier munchers I’ll probably also add in pellets. What can I say I’m a creature of convenience.) I cast a VERY tiny bit of a watery mix into the power head and wait for a feeding response, I might switch to polyp lab polyp booster for this. I turn off everything but the light then mix the powder into a thick paste and give it to all my heads/polyps.

Just did my first feeding as of 1/10/2023 and everyone in the tank reacted positively. Will probably start with 1x a week to see how water chemistry is and whether anything is crashing by tomorrow.

Wrapping up, if you’ve made it this far THANK YOU for reading my long winded post. Like I said I’m so excited to be an active part of this community now and I can’t wait to hear from others and start interacting with y’all.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
sharkyahd

sharkyahd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for joining and glad you are with us, your good humor will do you well and help us as we move along...

aquaman-oldschool.gif
Can’t be too serious in this hobby right? People already go crazy, no sense in making it harder by being a wet noodle lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back