It seems my corals are not taking up any alk or calc

JRamey24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
every week test when doing water changes. I test my new saltwater and my tank water to compare levels. Usually if not always my alk and calc are the same in both. I don’t dose at all and just rely on water changes. Parameters are below.
What could be causing this? My coral stock is:
1- Birdsnest (serietapora)
4- Stylophora
1- Frogspawn
1-Hammer
1-Jedi Mind Trick Monti ( only one I’ve noticed any real growth with
1- frag of zoas

Nitrates 5-10
Phosphate < .1
Alk 11
Calc 460
PH 8.1
Mag 1400

ReeferPat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t have a whole lot of stony corals to take up Alk and Calc. And depending on the salt you use, you’re probably replacing all your trace elements before you even notice any change. That being said, my parameters didn’t change much for a long time...until they did.:) once I put enough corals in there and they all started growing, Alk dropped quickly. Also, I don’t think it’s necessarily a problem, but your Alk seems really high. I think it should typically be between 8 and 9. I do know some systems run much higher Alk with some success though. What salt are you using?

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Alk level to nutrient level is likely out of balance. Have you seen this presentation before? Very informative.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, how often are you putting your hands in the tank? I have noticed a direct correlation to placing a bare hand in the tank will stall calcification for 2-3 days. I wear an elbow length neoprene glove now and it does not impact the tank.

Back