OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, here we are months later and nothing to report. The house renovation got much larger with a full kitchen remodel going on and work is getting busier every week. Supply shortages are killing my industry so everyone is buying as much as they can right now and it is keeping us buried with work.

As for my current 120, it is going absolutely crazy with growth and color. The Reef Moonshiners method is amazing and I recommend it to everyone. Frag racks are completely full and I need to find some kind of plan for the corals on there. I don't see the 250g being setup unitl the holidays are here and I can get some time away from work.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While not directly related to this thread and tank, we had a very sad weekend. It seems my lawnmower blenny has turned homicidal. Killed a chalk bass and Midas blenny. Almost every fish in my current 120 was slated to upgrade to the 250. I lost my oldest fish (chalk bass) and my wife's absolutely favorite fish (Midas blenny) in one bad weekend.

The Lawnmower doesn't seem to be going after my firefish, pygmy wrasse or cardinals. If it does, it will be trap and sell time.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What a whirlwind life has thrown at us the last little bit...

As home renovations continue to eat up all my spare time, my entire family came down with COVID the last two weeks. That put a halt on all home projects as we waited it all out. Good news is the cabinets finally came in and we start install tomorrow. Once the kitchen is in, we can move onto the master bedroom and bathroom. This should open up time to get the tank up and running. I spent all my tank funds during Black Friday buying 2 60" XHO bars, a 2nd Sicce return pump, plumbing, and other items.

I've also decided to stay with Apex after my buddy's Hydros crashed his tank. It is a known problem but CoralVue has no fix or timeline. The Hydros turned his heater on and left it on to 94°. Something to do with using multiple devices to connect to Hydros causes the tiles to have issues and stick on.

I'll leave a couple pics of the home renovation since the tanks are looking terrible. I've decided to sell off the 50g and just need to get it cleaned up and posted.

IMG_20211216_191830_01.jpg
IMG_20211216_191830_02.jpg
IMG_20211205_204307_01.jpg

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a whirlwind life has thrown at us the last little bit...

As home renovations continue to eat up all my spare time, my entire family came down with COVID the last two weeks. That put a halt on all home projects as we waited it all out. Good news is the cabinets finally came in and we start install tomorrow. Once the kitchen is in, we can move onto the master bedroom and bathroom. This should open up time to get the tank up and running. I spent all my tank funds during Black Friday buying 2 60" XHO bars, a 2nd Sicce return pump, plumbing, and other items.

I've also decided to stay with Apex after my buddy's Hydros crashed his tank. It is a known problem but CoralVue has no fix or timeline. The Hydros turned his heater on and left it on to 94°. Something to do with using multiple devices to connect to Hydros causes the tiles to have issues and stick on.

I'll leave a couple pics of the home renovation since the tanks are looking terrible. I've decided to sell off the 50g and just need to get it cleaned up and posted.

IMG_20211216_191830_01.jpg
IMG_20211216_191830_02.jpg
IMG_20211205_204307_01.jpg
you've had a lot going on. Hope your family is doing better!

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I came over from the crazy GHL thread and read your build thread! Sorry to hear about the COVID outbreak and I hope everyone is doing ok. I am also intrigued about your success with moonshiners program. Is it pretty straightforward and simple?

corey

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there! I came over from the crazy GHL thread and read your build thread! Sorry to hear about the COVID outbreak and I hope everyone is doing ok. I am also intrigued about your success with moonshiners program. Is it pretty straightforward and simple?

corey

That thread is amazing! Thanks for jumping over here. It's a lot more boring but things are about to really pick up.

I absolutely love the RM method. It can be daunting at first but once you dive in and start using it, it becomes very easy IMO. The daily doses don't even take 5 minutes.

Andre's handbook answers almost everything. Just make sure to read it twice. Andre also has a Facebook group to help any questions that come up

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been reviewing some other threads on it. I’ve actually thought about it in the past. As well as Glennfs DSR method. I think my biggest concern is I don’t have FB. Lol but lots of questions

corey

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been reviewing some other threads on it. I’ve actually thought about it in the past. As well as Glennfs DSR method. I think my biggest concern is I don’t have FB. Lol but lots of questions

corey

There is a great thread on here with a lot of us from FB in it

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, exciting news on this tank and its agonizingly slow development....I've put together a fish list with help from Dr Reef. I wouldn't say it is a 100% for sure list but it looks amazing to me!

5 Yellow Tangs
7-9 Tierra Anthias
Spotted Mandarin
Helfrichi pair
Yasha Goby pair
Whitetail Brisletooth ?
Yellow Stripe Pygmy Wrasse*
Red Firefish*
2 Pajama Cardinals*
McCosker's Wrasse
Midas Blenny
Lawnmower Blenny* ?

* Indicates I already have these fish

Since I am brining in rock, coral, and fish from a tank where nothing was QTd, Dr Reef says he will condition all my fish and make sure they won't bring in ich, velvet, Brook, worms in the anthias, etc.

On the house renovation front, our kitchen is almost done and back to normal. We can at least use it, cook, clean, all that stuff. So that's a major step forward and one step closer to this tank being setup.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little progress report over the weekend...got the top built and in place. Also, tore down the 50g and took the chance to clean my skimmer.

Need to figure out how to finish the edge on the melamine to help waterproof it. Going to make the sump floor melamine are well so it will be bright white inside the stand.

received_1003008786968828.jpeg

reef80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following and looking nice. I have the same exact size and stand also so I’m always inspire to see other similar size tanks.

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following and looking nice. I have the same exact size and stand also so I’m always inspire to see other similar size tanks.

Thanks for following. Had some progress over the weekend that I'll update with in a minute.

Where did you get the stand and what are the plans on skinning it out?

Stand is from Chris Benner. Skinning it has been the "topic at hand" for months in my mind. I think we're down to plywood or expanded PVC board to skin. Then I'll attach with Button Fix connectors

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for following. Had some progress over the weekend that I'll update with in a minute.

Stand is from Chris Benner. Skinning it has been the "topic at hand" for months in my mind. I think we're down to plywood or expanded PVC board to skin. Then I'll attach with Button Fix connectors
Chris is a great guy! But don’t tell him I said that….I like to keep him guessing. Haha. He’s local so I keep him on his toes!

corey

OP
OP
rtparty

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chris is a great guy! But don’t tell him I said that….I like to keep him guessing. Haha. He’s local so I keep him on his toes!

corey

Chris has been awesome to work with and helped with any question I have. His aluminum stands are unbelievably good.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I will tell him you said his stands are junk and he’s rude!
im kidding. He’s a great guy and has incredible woodworking skills

corey

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 27 27.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back